Shell Houston Open Thread (Spoilers)

arydolphin

GTHC!
Reaction score
Handicap
The PGA Tour heads just north of Houston for their first stop in the Lone Star State this week at the Shell Houston Open. For some players like Phil Mickelson and Lee Westwood, this serves as a week in competition to get ready for the Masters. For other players like Ernie Els, the only way for them to get into the Masters is with a win this week, so there's a lot on the line.

In last year's tournament, Phil Mickelson took the win, which many thought would lead to another Masters win, but that was not to be.

Already some news coming out of this event: Davis Love III has withdrawn due to a rib injury he suffered last week at the Arnold Palmer Invitational. http://www.golfchannel.com/news/gol...on-open/?cid=twitter_A_gc_LOVEWDSSHELL_032612

Also, from a fantasy standpoint, this is the last week of the Winter season. mcook77 is on top right now, can anyone take him down with a strong performance this week?

TV Times are below:
Thu, 3/29:
GOLF 3p - 6p ET
Fri, 3/30:
GOLF 3p - 6p ET
Sat, 3/31:
NBC 3p - 6p ET
Sun, 4/1:
NBC 3p - 6p ET

Ernie should make for a good storyline. Hopefully he plays well. I seem to remember Phil getting accused of using this tourney as a driving range for Masters prep last year. Then he went out and won the thing.

Ernie should make for a good storyline. Hopefully he plays well. I seem to remember Phil getting accused of using this tourney as a driving range for Masters prep last year. Then he went out and won the thing.

Wasn't that right around the 'he's lost the desire to win' conversation too? It's as though Phil was reading it all.

I think he might take this again. Ernie will be fun to watch and I'm hoping Lee gets some good flatstick practice in!

Wasn't that right around the 'he's lost the desire to win' conversation too? It's as though Phil was reading it all.

I think he might take this again. Ernie will be fun to watch and I'm hoping Lee gets some good flatstick practice in!

Yea, he supposedly had no desire and was just going through the motions. Honestly, if I was in these guys' shoes I'd be scared to win this one going into the Masters. Seems like pulling off two in a row would be one of those things that could mess with your head.

Tee times are out, here are 4 notable groups for this week:
Keegan Bradley/Graeme McDowell/Lee Westwood
Hunter Mahan/Johnson Wagner/Steve Stricker
Phil Mickelson/Charl Schwartzel/Fred Couples
Kyle Stanley/Anthony Kim/Ernie Els

Sweet the first page and no fantasy golf talk!

I really hope Ernie wins this thing but man I just don't know. I think he's got some demons rattling around inside his brain and they'll keep him from winning. I hope I'm wrong.

Call me crazy, but I expect an unusual person to win this week and get into the Masters. Someone like a Cameron Tringale to come out of nowhere and win this week. He's my pick. What a story that would be.

Tee times are out, here are 4 notable groups for this week:
Keegan Bradley/Graeme McDowell/Lee Westwood
Hunter Mahan/Johnson Wagner/Steve Stricker
Phil Mickelson/Charl Schwartzel/Fred Couples
Kyle Stanley/Anthony Kim/Ernie Els

Interesting grouping for sure. The Mickelson/Schwartzel/Couples tee time will gather a huge gallery!

I hope Anthony Kim can tame his mercurial game and post some good scores this week. I watched him play a few holes Friday at Bay Hill, and he seemed involved and focused on playing as well as he could. Then, I saw him Sunday early in his round, and it appeared to me he was just going through the motions. I wonder if he has any real desire to be out there anymore.

Call me crazy, but I expect an unusual person to win this week and get into the Masters. Someone like a Cameron Tringale to come out of nowhere and win this week. He's my pick. What a story that would be.

Is Cameron really an unusual person? Seems like a normal guy to me! :D

Interested to see how Freddie gets on this week. I'm toying with a small bet on him finishing top 5/10 at Augusta.

They interviewed Els last night on local news, he looked and sounded VERY comfortable. I think I'm gonna have to make my way over to Redstone later this week.

Oh, and they're calling for strong chances of rain for Friday's round

Espn's Mike and Mike are in Houston again to play in the prom. They're playing with Johnson Wagner today. They've played with Woodland, Curtis, and G;lover previously.

hahahaha, I agree.

I also agree. Sometimes it gets difficult to find posts about actual golf in the tourney threads these days...

I am curious to watch Phil and Charl. I think one plays really well this week and leads to a great Masters.

Who ya got in Houston?

Who ya got in Houston?

I'm going with Stricker.

Oh, and they're calling for strong chances of rain for Friday's round

not sure where you saw that at but the weather report shows only 40% and scattered

i will be out there friday .. my cousin is good friends with Chris Stroud and his wife. we are going to follow his group .sucks his tee time is at 7:40am gonna be an early start for me .

Balls in the air, lets hope we have another thriller this week!

My starters:

Cauley
Els
Stricker
Mahan

I expect to see full TC participation in this thread this week since Tigger isnt playing and Westwood is

rooting for Ernie to pull through!

Need to have a decent week for once. Went with Phil, Els, Mahan, & GMac.

Back