My First Fitting - GolfTec

That's gerate news and results GG! You can, or might, share your anti-slice tips with willingham on Sunday during the Outing round.

WTG GG!!!! It's an awesome feeling isn't it?

Today was a very exciting day for me, I had my very first club fitting! I know that we have always preached the importance of getting a professional fitting, but I didn't practice what I preached because I was afraid my swing wasn't consistent enough to warrant a fitting. I couldn't have been more wrong, and now I am kicking myself for not doing this sooner.

I worked with Tony Goff at the south Tampa GolfTec and he was absolutely amazing! I am not going to go into full detail here about it because I will have a two piece article coming in the next month with pictures and videos, but I wanted to talk briefly about it here and answer any questions people might have on fittings, and more specifically a GolfTec fitting.

Without going into great detail I can say that I walked out of there hitting the ball 10+ yards further, and even got an impromptu lesson which may have just fixed my slice with my driver. The key things I learned during this fitting was that my current irons are almost 1 1/2 inches too long and I have been playing the wrong shaft. I have a really slow swing speed so I thought for sure I was meant to play a ladies flex shaft. Turns out I need a senior flex. I feel so proud, I graduated to a big girl shaft!

I have never been shy about saying that I am not a long hitter, especially with my irons, so when I came in today I was under the impression that my 7 iron was my 100 club and my 6 iron was my 110 club.

After doing some static fitting and taking some swings on the launch monitor, sure enough my current irons, as they are, was showing my 6 iron averaging 111 yards, which fit right in line with what I thought. Then I tried a heavier shaft (senior flex), and shorter shaft by 1 1/2 inches, and the next thing I knew I was hitting a 7 iron on average 120 yards, I even had one get up to 130! All my other numbers were vastly improved as well, ball speed, launch angle, spin rate, angle of descent, carry distance and shot dispersion. The improved stats weren't even close to my current club, I was in complete shock.

After seeing those numbers, and getting some amazing tips to help my slice, I cannot wait to get out on the course. But first, I have a new iron order to place, woohoo!

If you have any questions about my fitting, or just fittings in general, feel free to ask, this was such an incredible experience and I am so excited to share it with everyone.

I was telling JB, if my slice can be fixed, where am I going to aim haha. You have played golf with me, you know I just aim as far left as possible. I am the only person who actually aims at the water.

I know how you feel, I used to have to aim way left too,,,its still hard to aim down the middle and trust that it will stay there!

GG- did they mention how frequently one should get fitted? Is it every time you purchase new clubs? Do fitting recommendations have a "shelf life"?

You know that's a good question, I guess as long as you feel your swing hasnt changed and you havent grown several inches or gained or lost alot of weight then it would be pretty much the same...although with as fast as technology is changing, there will be new shafts and club heads to hit as well.

OMG, that's awesome. I was going to schedule a fitting with them but was trying to figure out the right date.

They have a special going on. Buy a fitting and get a free swing analysis. This is going on through mid June.

GG, I have a few questions/concerns.

I just started playing and my swing is not good. I had a swing analysis done by some guy here and apparently my grip was wrong, swing was wrong, etc.

So, I'm not sure that I will get the proper benefits since my swing is inconsistent, etc. I was thinking of maybe doing the swing analysis first, then the fitting a week later, once I can work on the issues that I may have.

Any suggestions?

Love this thread. Sounds like an amazing experience GG, can totally tell how excited you are at the results and rightly so!

I'm not going to ask questions so I don't tread on the upcoming write-up, which I'm really looking forward to. The value of a good fitting on your game is obvious, but the value to your confidence is priceless!

The one thing I thought about while reading was how many ladies in particular must be playing ill fitting clubs, just due to the 'I'm a woman, I should play woman's clubs' thing. Not a knock on the players, but maybe there's a gap there for some company to spend a little time and money and focus on marketing to this area?

If you are buying new clubs, a fitting should take place. They are expensive and for the small cost of the fitting, you can find out not only if they are the right clubs, but what specs they should be done at. Loft, lie, length, flex, etc. Companies do not use the same specs across the board and shaft flex has no standards, so fitting is crucial. We have always preached this, and for the first time yesterday I got to experience it and wow, what a difference it made. As for a shelf life, it really depends on the golfer and what changes they go through.

Thanks so much. I have been lucky enough to have been fitted twice in the past 6 months and the results were pretty much exactly the same. I just wasn't sure if that was common or not.

Awesome to hear GG! That is funny that you've never been through a fitting till then. Congrats!

OMG, that's awesome. I was going to schedule a fitting with them but was trying to figure out the right date.

They have a special going on. Buy a fitting and get a free swing analysis. This is going on through mid June.

GG, I have a few questions/concerns.

I just started playing and my swing is not good. I had a swing analysis done by some guy here and apparently my grip was wrong, swing was wrong, etc.

So, I'm not sure that I will get the proper benefits since my swing is inconsistent, etc. I was thinking of maybe doing the swing analysis first, then the fitting a week later, once I can work on the issues that I may have.

Any suggestions?

It takes months to get the hand of a new swing, so going after just a few weeks will probably not help if you want to do the swing analysis first. It's sort of the chicken and the egg scenario, some might feel better getting the swing fixed before the fitting, and then get clubs fit to that swing, and others might want to get the fitting first to make sure you are playing the right length club for your game, etc, and then fine tune your swing. If you are truly a beginner you might want to work on getting a more consistent swing first, this way when you do get your fitting the results will last a lot longer. But it's totally up to you, and you can ask your local GolfTec fitter, I am sure they can map out the best course for your game.

GG I enjoyed reading through this thread. Looking forward to reading your full article on it. As for the ladies clubs with senior shafts, I know that is something Nerfny always asks people at the store. She wanted the AMP ladies head with a senior shaft, now she wants the Nike VRS ladies head with a senior shaft. Apparently color is everything haha

I forgot to mention, my dad takes lessons from tony and really likes him.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

I just spoke with John from GolfTec and his recommendation is to do Swing Evaluation, then some lessons, then the fitting. My evaluation is this Saturday. I'm so excited.

I just spoke with John from GolfTec and his recommendation is to do Swing Evaluation, then some lessons, then the fitting. My evaluation is this Saturday. I'm so excited.

That's great! I am really excited to hear how it went, I hope you will come back and share it with us.

I am pretty excited, I will be going to the range today to practice the new swing and chocking down on my clubs for a better length until the new clubs come.

He's great! He explained things in a way that actually clicked.

In my lessons with GolfTec and Josh, he was able to do this also, he explains something in different ways till he can see it click with me.
I am going in for a driver fitting with him tomorrow before my next lesson.

That's great! I am really excited to hear how it went, I hope you will come back and share it with us.

I went to the range yesterday to practice a bit and was hitting the ball better. Actually hit my 4 iron the best I have ever hit it. I purchased a Gold Flex and was practicing with it for a few days. Now, I'm not sure if my improved hitting was due to that, but it seems that I didn't rush my swing, so maybe it did help.

I'll let you know how it goes after my evaluation.

I too was wishing I had a fitting before. The reason I chose to do it was it has been so long since I was really into playing again. A lot of the information that was given to me, I was pretty comfortable with, but didn't realize all of the options that were actually available. I had my fitting done and hit a LOT of different brands as well as classifications. I can hit a blade, but know it is my head saying I can hit it...not actually there yet. I can't wait to get my new irons in, and will more than likely go visit them again for a swing analysis. I actually went to a different location to have the Mizuno DNA done for the shaft selection. I wanted to make sure, in my mind, that the fitter was "in the know" if you will and all was good. I felt better after doing that, due to the fact that the shaft was in line with M's rec's as well. They are a bunch of great people (and I can only attest to those out in my area), gettr done!

On a side note, I also went to the PGA Superstore to get similar information about my ability or lack thereof. All falls within acceptable parameters, it is the best they can do with the video imaging, their skill set(variable), and tools you want to use. As always, it comes down to us...what level do we think we are at...really are at...and can we produce the same "variable" more often than not. I'm hoping I made the right turn and on the road to future improvement.

Looking forward to the formal post! Oh...jealous, and have a great time with all the fellow THP'rs at the upcoming event!

Well, I had trhe Evaluation with John from Golftec. Very nice guy, very knowledgeable. After hitting my 6 iron, he noticed that my clubface was way too open and I bring it back way too far. I ended up getting it straight on impact, but I am not able to do that consistently, so that's something to work on. Most of the issue was with my grip. We worked on changing the grip and only doing a 3/4 backswing and it looked a lot better. Actually, that 3/4 backswing ended up going back as a full swing. I was really happy. The tools were amazing. He did say that he was really impressed with my balance though, so it wasn't all bad.

So, we spoke about lessons and well, I really can't afford, $1100+ right now. It would be cool and all, but I'm just trying to improve a bit and not make it out on the tour. I still have to go to the fitting, which will be in June.

I had an evaluation from another store about a month ago and he was tons better. I would definately recommend him.

I have been wanting to get this done at GolfTec since I did the swing analysis a few weeks ago. For $99 it sounds like a worth while investment especially since I have never been fit for clubs before. Does the GolfTec fitting go through the entire bag Driver-Putter?

I have been wanting to get this done at GolfTec since I did the swing analysis a few weeks ago. For $99 it sounds like a worth while investment especially since I have never been fit for clubs before. Does the GolfTec fitting go through the entire bag Driver-Putter?

Yes, although I am not sure that is the $99 deal. I would recommend calling your local coach there and seeing if that is the case.

GG,

How many sets of irons did they recommend for you? Did you help pick the G20s or is the the recommendation?

Back