Should the PGA ban spectators?

Makes sense. I'm not really sure I'm that bothered by it at all. I think it's part of the game that they play. They get to hit the ball 320 yards and hole a lot of putts. I get to tee off without some turd hollering get in the hole!

If you need me to come and yell mashed potatoes for you, I will. Hehe

We also used to smoke on planes, drive w/o seatbelts, and use asbestos in paint. The fan has evolved. Joe & Mary Businessperson (non die-hard golf fan) will have zero interest in attending an event where they cant check their email or text their kids for 6 hours. These tournaments cannot survive on hard core golf fans alone, we need the casual fan to become engaged to grow the game.

I agree that we used to do this, that and the other before the 'Fun police' banned them, but there was also a time not too long ago when spectators at sports events, not just golf, respected the athletes and what they were doing. The problem with a lot of folks in life now is that they have absolutely NO respect for anyone else.

Yes phones are a way of life now, but if someone has booked a day off work to go and watch the golf, they should turn the darn thing off and show the players and fellow spectators some respect. After all, you are at the players place of work and just think how annoyed you would feel if someone sat in on one of your high powered meetings constantly talking to and texting people on their phone. I, and probably most of the players, do not have a problem with phones and camera at the practice days, but when the money days begin, they should be banned.

People do need to be encouraged to attend golf events, but it is not as simple as saying the players should learn to tune out the loud shouts etc. Why should they have to change to accommodate some ignorant little s**t who is only there to shout abuse. Surely these folks should change their own attitudes to be more in tune with how the majority of spectators behave. If they are unwilling to do change, then they should stay at home and shout abuse at the TV coverage.

Well, that is the end of my rant on this as it is something that REALLY does wind me up.

Maybe they should move the spectators a little farther back from the tee boxes, and enforce and utilize the cell phone friendly areas on the course. There's no need to destroy the heritage or integrity of being a spectator because of the electronics era, that's just like an excuse to behave poorly. The Euros are a bit more disruptive I think, not long ago I think it was Bubba or someone went to france and got all twisted over how poorly the fans behaved, he threw a tantrum and some of the Euros even said that that's why they like playing here our fans our well behaved and respect the traditions. There are extremes and in this situation the players felt they had reached the extreme. The masses don't behave like this but they are eventually gonna get punished because of the few.

Cell phone jamming units throughout the course...

Next person that yells mashed potatoes or get in the hole should be executed.

Golf tournament "bouncers." The list of volunteers would probably be pretty large. LOL
If I could pummel the crap out of the next idiot who yells something stupid after a shot, I'd volunteer at every event across the country.

Its all about education to me. Post 1 page in the pairing sheet or spectator guide about how to turn the shutter sound off on the most popular 3 smart phones (iphone, android, blackberry). Itd be simple and cheap to do.
This was suggested by someone yesterday (maybe you) and I think you're drastically underestimating how rude and stupid people are. Some offenders are too dumb to know how to work their mobile device, most just don't care because there is little to no enforcement.

If you need me to come and yell mashed potatoes for you, I will. Hehe
I know I would love it if someone yelled mashed potatoes.. On or off the course...

I have to think that a loud roar of cheering from an adjacent (or even nearby green) would be worse than a shutter noise from a phone.

I think there's some middle ground between allowing people to be a$$es and banning spectators.

I blame Rickie Fowler and his flat brimmed hats and fancy bright clothes. It brings the riff raff. Hehe

Greatest post ever.
Agreed! One of the best posts I have ever read!

Do we really need Fowler fans and their terrible towels sitting behind the greens?
137811689.jpg

Do we really need Fowler fans and their terrible towels sitting behind the greens?
137811689.jpg

Yeah they look like a bunch of trouble makers!!! I think the more people the PGA can get out and follow and grow this awesome game the better. My guess would be if the rules were enforced a little more the sour apples wouldn't spoil the bushell.

I was watching on the range this week and they were interviewing a PGA radio announcer from XM and he told a story about how he didn't speak up when a player took an incorrect drop. Afterwards the rules guy from the PGA told him that he and every single person the course is obligated to protect the field by announcing when they witness rules violations or if they need help finding a ball or even where a ball crosses a hazard. I had never thought about it that way but it makes sense. They are all out there and seeing things, why not keep the playing field as even as possible.

You can never get rid of spectators. Otherwise there would be no point to professional golf.

With that said, I am all for tournaments doing a better job of enforcing the rules (e.g., no photos, don't use cell phones, be respectful) and removing spectators that don't follow the rules. The growing culture at tournaments is for a lot of spectators to get drunk and be obnoxious. I'm all for having a couple beers while watching a tournament, but someone who either (a) can't hold their alcohol or (b) can't stop being a jackass should simply be removed.

Fans yes, towels no. We don't even see TW fans dress in red and black. This guy has something going on.

Fans yes, towels no. We don't even see TW fans dress in red and black. This guy has something going on.

Seriously? Go to any event that TW is playing at and you will see TONS of fans dressed in complete TW gear from head to toe. Its just not as noticeable because his clothing is not flashy.

Next time they are showing a gallery or something, try counting the TW logo hats you see. You wont have enough time to count them all. Check out the amount of red/black you see in the gallery on a Sunday as well when Tiger is playing well (no clue when that will be).

i was surprised when i heard PGA lifted the ban on cell/camera phones...i've attended the ATT national for the last 3 years and have to say, it was actually enjoyable not having a phone on me...(they checked you but it wasn't an airport scan if you catch my drift). I think it was fine and a great idea since players are seemingly having more issues since they lifted the rule.

Banning fans is crazy. I agree with TC and Gio that they should simply ban cell phones. Players are definitely having problems with them and I could see just how distracting it would be. You are always going to have idiots who yell stupid things, but hopefully they can wait until after the player has hit. If not, or if they say something inappropriate, kick them out.

Anyone that yells "mashed potatoes" or "get in the hole" on a par 5 or anything else stupid like that should instantly be bounced from the course. That's my opinion.

This is a good idea. They should also ban the fans in European soccer too, because not only do they heckle the opposing teams, they heckle their fellow fans!

Anyone that yells "mashed potatoes" or "get in the hole" on a par 5 or anything else stupid like that should instantly be bounced from the course. That's my opinion.
1. I agree
2. I laugh every time someone yells Mashed Potatoes.

This is a good idea. They should also ban the fans in European soccer too, because not only do they heckle the opposing teams, they heckle their fellow fans!
I will turn off Golf the day I see a fan in the gallery with a vuvuzela.

They should not ban fans. That would make me sad because then I couldn't go watch anymore. I thnk they should ban cell phones though. The only 2 Tour events I've been to (US Opens at Bethpage and Congressional) didn't allow cell phones. Those were fun.

Banning fans is a horrendous idea, for many reasons that others have brought up.

I realize that cellphones were not allowed at tournaments for many years, but times are changing, and cellphones are going to be part of galleries in the years to come. There has to be better education of the fans by tournaments that the phones have to be on silent, no pictures are allowed, and they could even do like some tournaments and only have certain areas of the course where cellphones are allowed (i.e. places away from greens and tees).

1. I agree
2. I laugh every time someone yells Mashed Potatoes.
I agree with one and two... There's just something about mashed potatoes... And no they shouldn't ban the fans. That's a terrible idea.

No not for euro soccer, isn't the massive riot the main event.

Back