Governing bodies dictating to OEMs

blugold

Autobots, ROLL OUT!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I was recently at a lesson with the Pro at my home course. I was discussing with him how the R&A was experimenting with scaled back balls in Sweden. It blows his mind that the R&A and USGA can dictate to OEMs what they can produce.

He had a really interesting idea that stuck in my head. He would love to see a company, he thought either Nike or Callaway, release an illegal driver. Advertise that it will add 30 yards to your drives and make you feel like a tour player. But not be concerned that whether or not it is USGA approved. He thinks that the sales of that club would be through the roof. What could the USGA do? Most leagues don't play by USGA rules, most golfes don't play by USGA rules.

It's not like the USGA can force that OEM to not knowingly make an illegal club.

Well then, why not just load the ball up in a shotgun and blast it off the tee? It will definatley give you more distance and is no different than using any other illegal item to get more distance

The USGA cant govern the use of my foot wedge, that's for sure. :alien:

Most leagues don't use USGA rules? That's an honest question, because I just assumed they did. I think golfing on an even playing field with your peers is important I guess. I would consider a cheater club more of a novelty than anything.

Most leagues don't use USGA rules? That's an honest question, because I just assumed they did. I think golfing on an even playing field with your peers is important I guess. I would consider a cheater club more of a novelty than anything.
Kind of how a good bit of people view Polara golf balls, seeing as how they are non-conforming.

Can't people just take their driver and shave the face? I think that added about 20 -30 yds.

The league I play in, and the one I regularly sub in, play stroke and distance for all lost balls. Regardless of stake color. That's not USGA.

I just think of all of the weekend, and casual players who don't worry about conforming grooves, or shaft kick points. They just want to hit the ball far and drink beer on a Saturday. I bet there would be a ton of non conforming drivers from a major OEM sold.

Can't people just take their driver and shave the face? I think that added about 20 -30 yds.

But that would also weaken the driver's strength. Imagine if the driver was engineered for durability and a long lifespan but with a .90 COR.

I understand your dudes thought process but I would never game something that would put me at a huge advantage against others.. Just wouldn't feel right. I like competition, not competitor advantages other than skill

I understand your dudes thought process but I would never game something that would put me at a huge advantage against others.. Just wouldn't feel right. I like competition, not competitor advantages other than skill

But how many guys that you play with wouldn't care? How many guys would sell their golf soul for an extra 30 yards?

But how many guys that you play with wouldn't care? How many guys would sell their golf soul for an extra 30 yards?

You have a point.. I think it would sell if it was reasonable price more for people wanting to try it rather than game it..

Does the green monster or whatever that huge driver add noticeable yards? It's got a 520 cc head

I may be totally wrong, but I can't think of one person I play with that would buy a cheater club.

Since people refuse to play the appropriate tees, why not

Didn't somebody do that a few years back?? Wasn't there a driver that was made 4 or 5 years ago the the USGA deemed illegal for non conforming C.O.R. that was still marketed and sold to the public???? Need to do a google search because I can't remember who did it...but I think it was Callaway for some reason.

I may be totally wrong, but I can't think of one person I play with that would buy a cheater club.

This is not meant to be a terse response, but how many people do you play with? I bet that 80% of people who play any golf course in America would buy a driver from a major OEM if it was at Golf Galaxy, or a similar store, regardless of whether or not it was conforming.

Question for you guys, can you post a round for an official USGA handicap using an "illegal" club? Wedges with old grooves are still technically approved for amatuers until 2024 or something so those wouldnt be illegal yet.

If you cant post a handicap round, I think this is really similar to people using double walled softball bats in pickup games. Use the "illegal" club/bat when you're messing around in a pickup game or casual round. As soon as you are playing by a set of rules that has prohibits them, i'd feel slighted if some one else had an illegal club.

Question for you guys, can you post a round for an official USGA handicap using an "illegal" club? Wedges with old grooves are still technically approved for amatuers until 2024 or something so those wouldnt be illegal yet.

If you cant post a handicap round, I think this is really similar to people using double walled softball bats in pickup games. Use the "illegal" club/bat when you're messing around in a pickup game or casual round. As soon as you are playing by a set of rules that has prohibits them, i'd feel slighted if some one else had an illegal club.

How many people keep a USGA Handicap? How many people would care that they are entering a handicap with an illegal club.

to answer your questions, it is my understanding that you cannot enter a score with an illegal club.

This is not meant to be a terse response, but how many people do you play with? I bet that 80% of people who play any golf course in America would be a driver from a major OEM if it was at Golf Galaxy, or a similar store, regardless of whether or not it was conforming.

Quite a few people, but that's more a result of where I play rather than actually having friends lol. I just don't see it. The guys out there to drink beer and hit the ball far don't strike me as the ones buying a lot of equipment. That's usually the enthusiasts and I think peer pressure alone would stop people from buying a club that gave them an unfair advantage. It's all speculation though.

It would definately be a make or break sort of thing, but I would still love to see an OEM show the USGA who is really in charge, the golfers not the governing body.

How many people keep a USGA Handicap? How many people would care that they are entering a handicap with an illegal club.

to answer your questions, it is my understanding that you cannot enter a score with an illegal club.

Pretty much any member at a club is required to keep a handicap for tournaments but I see what you're saying about a lot of people not caring that they use an illegal club for handicap rounds. I would certainly have a problem with it though, and would definitely feel slighted if someone beat me in a club event of some sort using a USGA "illegal" club.

Guess what? I don't care what anyone else has in their golf bag. I practice and work my arse off to hone my skills as a golfer. I'll trust my skills over someone else's illegal club any day.

Guess what? I don't care what anyone else has in their golf bag. I practice and work my arse off to hone my skills as a golfer. I'll trust my skills over someone else's illegal club any day.

I'm gonna beat you down with my 550cc driver and my reverse grooved wedges!

I wouldn't buy it, but I'd bet that the majority of recreational golfers...the guys who don't worry about handicaps, play a few times a year, use foot wedges and drop another ball down when one wanders into the trees...they'd buy a TON of them.

And that's fine. If they aren't playing tournaments, and don't care if they have a valid handicap, then have at it. I see no difference between that and the Polara balls. It can make a casual golfer enjoy a round more, and maybe some of those will take up the game a bit more seriously and move to conforming equipment.

Mind you, if they wanted to play for something, I'm breaking out the Vaseline.

I'm gonna beat you down with my 550cc driver and my reverse grooved wedges!

Even with that bag full of illegalness, it's doubtful.

Even with that bag full of illegalness, it's doubtful.

game on! I'm also going to use either the Polara or the FOO-KING LONG golf ball. Man you're toast

Back