Maxfli U/4 & U/4X Golf Ball Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice review Hawk. It will be interesting to see how it stacks up but I think the price could keep people away. I am not sure I would try these at $40 but maybe at $30. I know you have tried a few balls to get ready for the Morgan Cup, any direct comparisions?

Like the review Ryan. I picked up the 4 pack that had each of the new balls, and the U4x was my favorite by far. I went a picked up a dozen. Like you said, I enjoy it off the tee, and it's just an all around good ball.

Nice review Hawk. It will be interesting to see how it stacks up but I think the price could keep people away. I am not sure I would try these at $40 but maybe at $30. I know you have tried a few balls to get ready for the Morgan Cup, any direct comparisions?

I'd say they are comparable, but maybe wasn't a great fit for me. I thought the spin was similar to most Tour balls, but it didn't seem as long for me. To me, it didn't have the perceived softness of something like the B330 RX, RXS or Z-Star, all of which I played in the same timeframe.

I'd say they are comparable, but maybe wasn't a great fit for me. I thought the spin was similar to most Tour balls, but it didn't seem as long for me. To me, it didn't have the perceived softness of something like the B330 RX, RXS or Z-Star, all of which I played in the same timeframe.

I am not sure why but that is kind of what I was expecting.

Thanks for the review. I have seen a few more of these balls out on the course lately and wondered about their performance. Thanks again for another good review.

I pair'd a U4x with a ProV1, a ZSTAR, a Vision X3 and a old Cally iZ on the putting/chipping green. I saw a difference off of my wedges with the U4x, I was consitantly getting it to check up closer to the hole than the other 4. It won me over there that day. Maybe Ill take it out again and pair it up with some others.

Thanks for the feedback, Bogey. I'm curious about the U/3 as well, since they hit a lower price point. I haven't had a chance to try them yet.

Good review Hawk. I'd like to try some of these myself to see how they stack up against some other premium balls as they are a few dollars cheaper per dozen than some other brands.

Hawk have you played the Maxfli Revolution? I used to game it And loved it, I'm wondering if any of the DNA got into the U4 series. Thanks for the review, solid

Thanks for the feedback, Bogey. I'm curious about the U/3 as well, since they hit a lower price point. I haven't had a chance to try them yet.

They are pretty good as well. Let me see if I can get a few more from my buddy at DSG's. Ill send you one or two instead of picking up a dozen.

Solid review here Ryan. One of my playing partners has been playing one version of these (not sure which) and seems to like them thus far. I have not played a Maxfli in years and not sure that I would at the price point they are targeting but sounds like I at least need to grab a few and see what I think. I like the flight characteristics of the U4/X better than the U4 but the spin of the U4 sounds better for me.

Something else I found interesting from the review was that the higher spin offered by the U4 also comes with a higher ball flight. I had never attributed those characteristics with one another when it came to other premium balls.

Thanks for the review Hawk. At that price tag, seems it would compete in a sense with the Callaway Hex Chrome and Srixon Z-star and Bridgestone. I have been contemplating trying out the Callaway Hex balls. Do you have any comparison?

I used to love playing the Revolution Solid back in the day, still think it was a very underrated ball. I'd be interested to hear more about the durability, after some long term testing. I was very disappointed at the 20XI durability and the durability of the Pentas, but am happy with the durability of my current dozen of 330RX. Could you compare the durability to any of those balls? Any pics of the balls after play?

Hawk have you played the Maxfli Revolution? I used to game it And loved it, I'm wondering if any of the DNA got into the U4 series. Thanks for the review, solid

Sorry, Freddie. I've never played the Revolution. My guess is that they are not the same when it comes to design because Taylormade kept all Maxfli ball patents when they sold the name to Dicks.

They are pretty good as well. Let me see if I can get a few more from my buddy at DSG's. Ill send you one or two instead of picking up a dozen.

Thanks!

Thanks for the review Hawk. At that price tag, seems it would compete in a sense with the Callaway Hex Chrome and Srixon Z-star and Bridgestone. I have been contemplating trying out the Callaway Hex balls. Do you have any comparison?

I've not tried the new Callaway balls yet, Dev. Sorry I can't help there.

I used to love playing the Revolution Solid back in the day, still think it was a very underrated ball. I'd be interested to hear more about the durability, after some long term testing. I was very disappointed at the 20XI durability and the durability of the Pentas, but am happy with the durability of my current dozen of 330RX. Could you compare the durability to any of those balls? Any pics of the balls after play?

I don't have any pictures available at the moment. I found the durability to be quite good and I used them often over the course of a month to 6 weeks. I'm not especially hard on golf balls though. The only real complaint I had was that they seemed to stain green a little if I let them sit in my bag without being cleaned. I couldn't remove the stains no matter what I did.

Thanks Hawk

No problem. Apparenty, TM got to keep the Noodle name as well in the deal.

That was agreat review of both balls, it's cool to hear some of the comments from your playing partners too. Well done

I love these golf balls. I got some free from Dicks and I do not want to use any other ball. I hit them straight and just as long as any other ball I was hitting. I do not know how to spin the ball but I was consistently backing them on the green around 2-4 feet all day. I have never been able to hit balls into the green and have them back up.

I bought 4 boxes the other day. I had a ton of coupons so instead of paying $160 I paid $80. Got to love having a bunch of coupons.

Thanks, Trout. I know one of them was pretty enamored with the U/4x due to results he saw off the tee. I didn't have the same experience with that ball, but that's like a fitting issue. His dispersion and distance were definitely better to both of our eyes.

good review. I've heard some great things about the balls as well as far as performance goes, but their durability has been questioned. I don't know what they are doing with their pricing though, they are still expensive balls. If they want to remove the stigma of Maxfli balls, then they should be priced as such. I really want to try out the U3's and might pick up a dozen as I have a DSP gift card.

Thanks for the review. I would grade the u/4s high in every category except durability. by mid-round the ball was showing excess wear for the little time it had been in play. By the the end of the round the color seemed to have even yellowed out a little bit. I've played many other balls for multiple rounds and could barely tell they had been used. I'd say that other than durabilty, it was a great ball for me.

Thanks for the review. I would grade the u/4s high in every category except durability. by mid-round the ball was showing excess wear for the little time it had been in play. By the the end of the round the color seemed to have even yellowed out a little bit. I've played many other balls for multiple rounds and could barely tell they had been used. I'd say that other than durabilty, it was a great ball for me.

I'm glad somebody else had the discoloring issue as well. Makes not feel crazy lol. Like I said, I'm just not that hard on balls, so I didn't see much shredding of the cover.

Thanks for the great review Hawk. I wonder how these compare to the Callaway Hex Black and Chrome as they seem to be incorporating some of the same ideas (two urethane balls with different spin and feel characteristics).

Bought these over the holidays when they had them BOGO at Dicks. I went with the U/4x version. I have played a dozen of them so far and from iron shots to around the green and putting they are fantastic, off the tee they are not quite as long as my usual Prov1x. I will probbaly keep buying them when they are on sale and use them as my everyday ball and reserve the ProV1x for rounds when they matter.

I did have an interesting tee shot yesterday and not sure if it was a defective ball, out of round, or just the swing I put on it. On the 18th tee, I unloaded on a drive and the ball went straight, but it was knuckling left and right and lost about 100yds of distance. You could see it was moving left and right very quickly, probably 2 yards left, then 2 yards right, then just fell out of the air. I inspected it and it didn't look cut or anything.

Back