Getting started in golf - my journey breaking into the game.

coryf

Reaction score
While searching this forum looking for information pertaining to a beginning golfer, I couldn't find a thread like this. I am brand new to the game and I plan on documenting my journey leading up to my first few rounds of golf. I hope this thread can help someone in the future who want's to break into this game and doesn't know where to start.

I'll start by giving a little information about myself and my experience with golf up to this point. My name is Cory, I'm 26 years old and originally from the Joplin Missouri area. In high school, some friends and I used to go to the local driving range once in a while and hit some balls with borrowed drivers and three woods out of boredom. I've probably hit 200 golf balls in my entire life and haven't launched a ball in over 7 years. Needless to say, I'm about as green as it gets. I've loved golf for as long as I can remember and have wanted to play my entire life. I never had the money growing up to pay for green fees, let alone buy a set of clubs. I'm finally at a place in my life where I'm no longer a ramen noodle everyday, five dollars worth of gas in my car, super broke college student and have the disposable income to get into this game.

After hours of research, I decided to purchase the Adams A7OS full set as my entry level set of golf clubs. Every club in the set minus the putter has made Golf Digest's Hot list, it was very reasonably priced, and its supposed to be very forgiving. It came with the Fast10 Driver 3W and 5W, A7OS 4H through SW. I purchased an Odyssey putter at Golf Galaxy based on how it felt and how I putted on their indoor putting surface. I purchased all of this in regular flex to get started. I decided against getting fitted for my initial set due to how much my swing is going to change in the coming months. I figure I can either reshaft this set if I really like it or I can sell it and upgrade to a different set as my game improves and my swing becomes consistent.

I've acquired and read quite a few books on golf including Dave Peltz's short game and putting bibles, Ben Hogans Five lessons, Zen Golf, David Leadbetter's The Golf Swing, Penick's little red book, and Tom Watsons The Timeless Swing. I've watched Watson's Lessons of a Lifetime, McLean's the Eight Step Swing, and Ben Hogan's the Golf Swing instructional DVD's. I plan on referencing all of these throughout my journey and commenting on what works for me, what doesn't, and which books I feel have helped my game the most.

I have my first lesson this evening with the Pro at Alsatian Golf Club in Castroville, TX. I wanted to start off with formal lessons to develop good habits and a repeatable swing right from the start. It is easier to develop good habits than to break bad ones. Over the next four weeks I am taking five lessons and plan on hitting the practice facilities at least twice in between lessons. I plan to tentatively play my first round August 12th.

I'm going to update after every lesson and range session on my progress and frustrations and this will probably continue through my first few rounds of golf. If anyone has any comments, advice, words of wisdom, etc. please comment. I look forward to my journey and hope you all can enjoy it with me.

- coryf

I look forward to following your journey cory.

Welcome Cory and it sounds like you have done your homework! Best of luck on your journey and your planned first round on 8/12.

Cory, this will be an interesting thread to follow.
Thanks for sharing!

It sounds like you are going into it with the right attitude and a good plan. I was fortunate enough to start off at nine years old with a set of three lessons and I commend you on your choice not to just jump in and teach yourself. Far too many golfers develop bad and nearly unbreakable habits by doing that. Advice wise, prepare to be frustrated and work through it. Golf is such a pleasurable and rewarding game, but it can be the most frustrating as well. It's a lot like life that way. Even after nearly twenty years of golf, I still have those spurts where nothing seems to go right. As long as you are prepared to be patient, listen to your instructor, and diligently practice what he or she tells you, I think you and golf will get along well. I look forward to following this thread and your experience. Golf is a lifelong pleasure; welcome to the club.

It sounds like you are going into it with the right attitude and a good plan. I was fortunate enough to start off at nine years old with a set of three lessons and I commend you on your choice not to just jump in and teach yourself. Far too many golfers develop bad and nearly unbreakable habits by doing that. Advice wise, prepare to be frustrated and work through it. Golf is such a pleasurable and rewarding game, but it can be the most frustrating as well. It's a lot like life that way. Even after nearly twenty years of golf, I still have those spurts where nothing seems to go right. As long as you are prepared to be patient, listen to your instructor, and diligently practice what he or she tells you, I think you and golf will get along well. I look forward to following this thread and your experience. Golf is a lifelong pleasure; welcome to the club.

Oh I know the frustration will certainly be there. The game is hard enough for those who have great habits and I aspire to be one of those players. I'm trying to go in with a great attitude and set realistic and attainable goals for myself. Baby steps are going to be the key for me. If I start off scoring 120 or 130, so be it. I'll just have to aim for 115 then 110 and so on. I'm just going to try to relax, have fun, and enjoy the improvement process and the game itself. I appreciate the encouragement and the kind words from everyone. THP seems to be a very supportive place and I'm excited and thrilled to be sharing my experience and receiving feedback from such a great group of people who are passionate about this game.

Cory this will be fun to follow along on. I think you have made a great start and are on the right path, especially starting with lessons right away. Looking forward to this.

Good luck and I look forward to reading your progress.

Great way to start off the addiction. Not only with the intent of sticking with the game, but the research and plan of attack. Very well thought out and look forward to your progress.

welcome Cory and good luck in your journey

Welcome Cory, I look forward to following along.

Good luck Cory! I, too, am new - started July 2010. I'll be reading with great interest.

Welcome and good luck. You're off to a great start.

Sounds like you have a great plan, Cory. I look forward to hearing how things progress for you.

Welcome to the forum, there are some really great & helpful folks here.
As I just started as well, I'm finding that not only paying attention during the lesson but keeping some notes to fall back on are helping me develop the right way.

Good luck Corey and great attitude. Good to start out with a Pro. I started 3 years ago and drastically improved my game in the first year by going to a local pro. Can't wait to see how things go!

Good luck. Good idea with the lessons.

Welcome and best of luck on your journey! You seem to have a very well thought out plan. Ive been golfing for awhile now but just recently decided to sign up for lessons at Golftec. Im very excited as I know this will drastically help my game (with practice of course).

Looking forward to following along. Welcome

I think that's a pretty smart move to get a lesson as a beginner. I like your way of thinking, build good habits now rather than build bad habits and try to break them. keep us posted, your perspective should be invaluable to thousands of beginner golfers.

~Rock

Cory, thank you for posting this. I appreciate being able to follow along during your journey. Good luck!!!

Good luck Cory, it's a great lifetime game to start...there will be ups and downs but ride it out, things always get better...(at least for one round) !

Welcome Cory and I look forward to watching you grow in this game we all love.

Good luck in your journey Cory!

Well my lesson last night was rescheduled for tonight. Practice facilities were closed due to rain night before last. Tony (my instructor) wants to work on the full swing the first couple of lessons then focus on the short game for the last 3. My fiance is heading to Myrtle Beach for a week on Friday so I plan to be at the practice facilities every night next week. I'm feeling pretty positive about all of this, I hope I make quick progress! I'll give you all an update on how horrible I am out the gate tonight after my lesson tonight :p.

Back