Cobra AMP Driver Review

Good thoughts cookie. At this point is one better or worse for you or is still too early. My PayPal is ready for the loser LOL

Early going tells me that I like the LE more. More penetrating ball flight and I like the fact that it appears I can be more aggressive with my swing with the whiteboard than the RIP. I have always been a tempo guy based on the shaft I had and afraid to go after it for fear of losing it right but that's not the case with the whiteboard.

Good thoughts Cookie. It sounds like that's a great driver for you when your swing is working well. A few of those are bombs dude. Do you like this better than the J40 and/or regular AMP?

I think this face is more forgiving all the way across it than the J40. Really seems that side spin is extremely minimal off this face.

Cookie, I'm not surprised you thought the Whiteboard was stiffer, it's the lowest launching of the Diamana series and is pretty stout. For what it's worth, it's the same shaft that Wicked Cool Bearded Man has in his driver, and if you've seen him swing the club, you know that he has a pretty aggressive swing. Glad to hear that it worked well for you.

Oh cool, I was not aware of that. This is really my first time hitting the same club with a few different shafts so it's pretty neat being able to tell a difference. I hit the ball plenty high normally and this shaft appears to be ideal for me really giving me that mid trajectory that I prefer.

Nice recap cookie, sound like with some work you'll get that LE going in the right direction.

Freddie, did you get to take this out against the vrs?

great thoughts cookie.... i really was impressed with the driver for sure, but more interested in the many great shaft options they have available.

Freddie, did you get to take this out against the vrs?

Not yet, I will this week. I can tell you this. When I waggle the club, it feels whippy compared to my VRS setup

Not yet, I will this week. I can tell you this. When I waggle the club, it feels whippy compared to my VRS setup

I would think so, that devo is pretty stout. I would bet it is closer to the Amp Rip x than stiff.

Tapin for bird

Gotcha.. I really want a different shaft in mine. Still in communication on the Wild Goose chase VRS tips

Thanks for the thoughts Cookie! I was curious what you'd think of the Whiteboard, you are right, you should certainly be able to go after it a LOT more than the stock RIP.

Very nice thoughts Cookie. I did have 1 question though. Do you perfer to see the Grey head or Orange head at address? I feel like the Orange could prevent someone from properly getting the club square at address.

Very nice thoughts Cookie. I did have 1 question though. Do you perfer to see the Grey head or Orange head at address? I feel like the Orange could prevent someone from properly getting the club square at address.

That's a great question and it just gave dumb me an idea.

The orange definitely stands out and is an attention grabber. I had no issues at all squaring up with it as compared to the grey head.

The idea you gave me is that I could always throw the orange whiteboard shaft into the grey head if I wanted to avoid some of the attention or if I preferred to see the grey at address.

Personally, I could care less what someone thinks of me playing an orange driver. Heck, great conversation piece to tell them about THP!!

That's a great question and it just gave dumb me an idea.

The orange definitely stands out and is an attention grabber. I had no issues at all squaring up with it as compared to the grey head.

The idea you gave me is that I could always throw the orange whiteboard shaft into the grey head if I wanted to avoid some of the attention or if I preferred to see the grey at address.

Personally, I could care less what someone thinks of me playing an orange driver. Heck, great conversation piece to tell them about THP!!

I think the Whiteboard would look pretty dang cool in the grey head. Definitely something that should be done for the occasional change of pace imo.

What a fantastic find. Thanks for the review THP!

Great quick hit on the LE Cookie. Don't think I need to shell out that much, but I do LOVE orange.

Cobra finally found my order after getting lost in the shuffle...
Should have my driver on Friday..(after ordering the same day as cookie) sigh....

Gonna try and get out tomorrow and have an AMP v. Anser shoot out. Might have a nice little walk around Finley tomorrow.

Spent 30 minutes demoing this on a range today (9.5 stock stiff) and was hammering it for my 95-99 SS. Carry numbers were right around 240 with nets out to 270. In neutral set up you could definitely hit 5-10 yard draws and fades. This is a very solid driver for sure. I'm very close to picking one up.

For now, I am shelving the LE. That whiteboard stiff is demanding for someone that does not typically swing too hard - more of a tempo guy. When hit well, it's a bomber. When not I am spraying it both left and right.....several really hard pulls left that put me in trouble.

Putting the stock version (grey) back in play this weekend as I think that shaft fits my game better. Of course, I may just throw the orange head onto the RIP shaft for grins. :)

Gonna try and get out tomorrow and have an AMP v. Anser shoot out. Might have a nice little walk around Finley tomorrow.

I hit both the other day. I preferred the AMP. The Anser felt odd. Preferred the i20 over the Anser.

I hit both the other day. I preferred the AMP. The Anser felt odd. Preferred the i20 over the Anser.

I really liked both but had limited time out with the Anser over the weekend. Hopefully I get to go out by myself and can hit 2 tee balls most of the day.

I really liked both but had limited time out with the Anser over the weekend. Hopefully I get to go out by myself and can hit 2 tee balls most of the day.

To be fair, the Anser was the last club I was hitting and it was the TFC or whatever. Should have hit the Ahina to get a real feel for it that would match my swing.

To be fair, the Anser was the last club I was hitting and it was the TFC or whatever. Should have hit the Ahina to get a real feel for it that would match my swing.

I could game the AMP and be so darn happy. The Ping homer in me took over and I splurged a little. I'll try to deliver an honest opinion after my round tomorrow.

For now, I am shelving the LE. That whiteboard stiff is demanding for someone that does not typically swing too hard - more of a tempo guy. When hit well, it's a bomber. When not I am spraying it both left and right.....several really hard pulls left that put me in trouble.

Putting the stock version (grey) back in play this weekend as I think that shaft fits my game better. Of course, I may just throw the orange head onto the RIP shaft for grins. :)

Cookie,
I am assuming you saw more pulls with the LE?? Do you attribute that to the need to swing harder with the Whiteboard and not keep the smooth tempo?? I find I do that as well when trying to really load up the shaft... (hard for Tempo guys to convert to hard swingers, huh??)

Bama

Cookie,
I am assuming you saw more pulls with the LE?? Do you attribute that to the need to swing harder with the Whiteboard and not keep the smooth tempo?? I find I do that as well when trying to really load up the shaft... (hard for Tempo guys to convert to hard swingers, huh??)

Bama

Yep, you are spot on. When I go with the smoother tempo I fail to load the shaft and leak it right. Was talking to Tadashi last night and after telling him everything that happened with it, he thinks the tip is too stiff for me.

Yep, you are spot on. When I go with the smoother tempo I fail to load the shaft and leak it right. Was talking to Tadashi last night and after telling him everything that happened with it, he thinks the tip is too stiff for me.

I would agree with Tadashi on that one... and let me say this - it's just as hard for hard swingers to convert to tempo guys! :at-wits-end: Generally, you have to dance with who brought ya!

not sure i could get used to that color, but will have to try it out at some point.

The club looks like it would be easy to change the paintfill, or just remove the orange with acetone.

Back