darahagan

Reaction score
Handicap
I am 6ft 4inches and over 200 pounds. I get a lot of 'you should get longer clubs' (they are moron) etc.
Is there any other big and tall golfers out there with funny stories, tips, and sites to buy cheap giant clothes!!

I am 6ft 4inches and over 200 pounds. I get a lot of 'you should get longer clubs' (they are moron) etc.
Is there any other big and tall golfers out there with funny stories, tips, and sites to buy cheap giant clothes!!

I wasn't tall but was of the extremely big variety. I was 360 and 6 ft tall. I enjoyed playing but never really payed much attention to style. I understand your frustration at trying to find something to wear. You can hit up your regular retailers and find some good cheap shirts and pants and you can also try the local Goodwill stores and find some cheap stuff. Before my weight loss I bought lots of Greg Norman apparel because it comes in Big/Tall sizes. It was pricey but it worked for me.

Good luck in your search....I know its frustating!!

I notice when I'm shooping around for new golf clothes that TK Maxx (TJ Maxx in USA I think!) always seem to have sizes above and below average sizes, lots like XS, XL or XXL shirts and size 30/28, 30/30, 36/34 or 38/34 trousers where I would take size M shirt and 32/30 or 34/30 trousers which I would consider would be in around average sizes

Hope this helps, considering your in Ireland im sure there is a TK Maxx near you, i know there is a few here in Dublin!

Destination XL and Kingsize are the only sites I can shop. Their respective stores also help. I wear 4XLT shirts and 60XT sportcoats. They have pants with un hemmed bottoms or they will hem to fit. They also regularly have inseams to 36"

If they can fit me, hopefully they can help others.

Tapatalking

I'm tall and skinny and find deals on pants all the time because a 34/34 is not a common size. The problem is they are hard to find when I want to pay full price and need them ASAP. Here in America they assume iif you're tall you are also fat.

Used to be that the clothes were made to fit more loose, so I could fit the large sizes. Now everything is athletic fitted fitted. Case in point - I am 6-2 200, usually wear a large. My father in law who is 5-7 150 was gifting some older barely warn shirts. They were all size medium, but I could not say no. Believe it or not, they fit. Pants on the other hand are more difficult. Like JRod said, hard to find, and rarely on sale.

I find it most difficult with Golf trousers. I need a 38-36. I can make do with a 34 leg if i have to, which i do. I have found nike trousers to be the best fitting and you can get them at a reasonable price. T-shirts are not a problem, fitting in to xl and some L. For price and style, I like the dunlop range. Although im not sure if available in the states.

I'm also 6'4", but hover around the 250 mark. I find that many of the catalogs catering to big/tall don't appeal to me - just because I'm big doesn't mean I want outlandish clothes! If you have a K-Mart near you, they have a big/tall section as does JC Penny. I mostly have issues with the length of shirts, as I have a long torso, and need the "T" at the end of the size, e.g., XLT, XXLT, etc...

As far as the clubs go, a factor in club length (among others) is where your hands are at address, and not how tall you are.

Happy Golfing!

I'm a big SOB myself. 6'4 and currently 258. I'm getting smaller though at least that's the goal. I prefer to wear XL shirts but some can be too short. If I jump up a size they swallow me.

I'm a big SOB myself. 6'4 and currently 258. I'm getting smaller though at least that's the goal. I prefer to wear XL shirts but some can be too short. If I jump up a size they swallow me.

I'm 6'0 230 and XL shirts can be too small on me. Weird. The XL THP Sligo shirt is boarderline too small for me.

I'm 6'0 230 and XL shirts can be too small on me. Weird. The XL THP Sligo shirt is boarderline too small for me.

Yeah, that Sligo stuff is all made for Euro dudes or something. No way I can wear their XL.

I'm about your height and aboot 215 but I find that large shirts fit me perfectly. I have trouble finding shoes though, my feet are long and thin (hey ooooo) and most shoe companies seem to think that if you have long feet then they must be wide too.

Yeah, that Sligo stuff is all made for Euro dudes or something. No way I can wear their XL.

I have to leave the top two buttons undone, otherwise I feel like I'm being strangled by Grimace from McDonalds.

well, i dont have much to help but yeah I certainly feel for the frustration and expenses you go through of those who have it tuff to find clothing, shoes etc ... in the big and tall area. I know a few of such friends like this and know that it's not easy. The specialty places are usually expensive. And your also forced to settle for designs or styles you may not be totaly happy with due to the limited selections and expenses of it. My son, who is just 16, is 6'2" and 220. (yes, BTW a high school football player) and It is not a huge problem yet with clothing although we cant always get what we or he wants do to his size but he still growing and will soon be more an issue. He has large shoe size at size 13 to 14 and it is hard to find shoes for him and often not much a choice when we do find a pair. We have had luck in (although havn't been there in a long time) at Burlington coat factory if they are still around. In fact i have found alot of good things there through the years at great prices for anybody size. Not golf related stuff but just a thought.

I'm about your height and aboot 215 but I find that large shirts fit me perfectly. I have trouble finding shoes though, my feet are long and thin (hey ooooo) and most shoe companies seem to think that if you have long feet then they must be wide too.

I have the opposite over here. they seem to think that if you have big feet they aren't wide!!

I have the opposite over here. they seem to think that if you have big feet they aren't wide!!
Well aren't we the odd couple

I wish New Balance made golf shoes.

I'm 5'10" and quite robust. You could even say girthy. I buy my pants and shorts from Casual Male XL, which just became DXL Limited or something like that locally. When I need golf shirts I just Google adidas golf shirts and go through what comes up. I just bought 4 ClimaLite short sleeve and 2 ClimaLite long sleeve cotton/polyester blends in XXXL for like $165. My wife ran the card but I know they averaged less than $30 a piece. And they came in 2 days.

Kevin

I am 6'2" and as my brother from Cheeseland says....Girthy...LOL. I run into this issue all the time...can't shop at regular retailers because the largest they carry is 2XL...and with everything changing styles and getting more form fitting, those just dont work for me....most of the time 3XL is okay, but I have even found some of styles that I need 4XL.

Like Esox said...I usually search online and I can find something, it may not be exactly what I want...but it works.

Shorts and pants I still pick up at JC Penney..they have a decent big and tall section and it's not too expensive.

I am 6'2" and as my brother from Cheeseland says....Girthy...LOL. I run into this issue all the time...can't shop at regular retailers because the largest they carry is 2XL...and with everything changing styles and getting more form fitting, those just dont work for me....most of the time 3XL is okay, but I have even found some of styles that I need 4XL.

Like Esox said...I usually search online and I can find something, it may not be exactly what I want...but it works.

Shorts and pants I still pick up at JC Penney..they have a decent big and tall section and it's not too expensive.

I forgot about Jacque Penne. I like to stick with my The Morgan Cup sponsor for shirts. They run wide and long, but JP works in a pinch when you need something from the mall right away.

Kevin

I'm pretty big guy (6'2'' 260 lbs) and love nice loose fitting but still not to baggy looking clothes and most of (2xl)Greg Normans shirts fit great and they sell them at places like costco and sam's club.

I'm not tall but I am wide. 5'10 275lbs. Just bought some moisture wicking shirts from the Walmart website. They are pretty solid and nice with no logos. Paid only 10 bucks for each. They have up to 5xl and the name brand is George. As far as pants or shorts I go JCPenneys or Dockers.

I have no issues finding cutter and buck, reebok or any number of decent brands in very large/tall sizes.

My wife did find me an AMP orange polo. I am afraid it makes me look like a mutant oompa loompa though.

Tapatalking

At 6'6" 195 lbs large shirts fit me perfectly in anything american and XL in Euro stuff.

Me too, most shoes in 15 are "med" or D width which many times are not wide enough. Sometimes that is adequate depending on the brand and last that the shoe is built on. FJ 15 M is pretty good in some of the Contour and SuperLite.

At 6'6" 195 lbs large shirts fit me perfectly in anything american and XL in Euro stuff.

Same here, I weigh a bit more at 217 so large fits, at 6' 6" I have to be careful about the length in the body. Long sleeves? Forget that, it ain't happening with 40" sleeves in size 17 1/2. Pants now are easier to find now than previously. 34" inseam is kind of common and may work, 35" is better for me though. I can get 48 XT sports coats if there is enough fabric in the sleeves to lengthen them a couple of inches.

How about vehicles? And airplane seats? Stadium seating? And lots more things made for folks close to "average" in size?

At least golf equipment can be fit for us. In the rest of society, we simply do not have the choices available to our ...uh...ur... "height challenged" brethren. (and that's OK, I no longer care)

Wow. Glad I am not the smallest guy on here (6'4", 340). DXL is a great place to get Callaway golf shirts and even some of the Reebok stuff is good too.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Back