Official College Football Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah no kiddin. And lets be honest A&M is far from a clean program. Makes me think it was someone local doing this to poke fun at A&M and get Florida riled up.

Probably Spurrier. :D

I see Clemson moved up a few spots. Hopped Wisconsin and Michigan which makes sense since both of them lost. Though I do think Clemson looked a bit shaky to open the season, especially on D.

I see Clemson moved up a few spots. Hopped Wisconsin and Michigan which makes sense since both of them lost. Though I do think Clemson looked a bit shaky to open the season, especially on D.

Clemson's secondary is a problem. If Auburn had a QB who could effectively pass, he would have thrown for a lot of yards on Saturday. The defense did seem to get better as the game went on, though.

I'm far more optimistic about the OL. Auburn has a very good DL, and the OL was able to run the ball very effectively against it.

Nick Saban being a complete jerk again? Shocking.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...takes-this-whole-bully-pulpit-thing-literally

What Nick Saban wants is help coaching his football team, and he wants that help from the media. Hey, that's what he said Wednesday, when he lectured the media about being too nice to his football team. Which is ironic, seeing how Nick Saban has never -- far as I can tell -- been accused of being too nice to anyone. How would he know what "too nice" looks like?

And why would a man get so angry about a series of compliments, anyway? There's no answer for that, no answer other than, "Well, when the man is Nick Saban ..."

And then it starts to make sense.

Nick Saban is a man with no sense of time or place, or even reality. He's the guy who famously turned down an invitation to dine with President Bush in July 2006 because he wanted to focus on training camp with the Miami Dolphins. The dinner would have been in Miami, by the way. Saban didn't have to fly to Washington. Just drive to Joe's Stone Crabs. But, no. He was in training camp.

That's the man we're talking about, so it's no big shock that this is the man we're talking about -- this man who walked into the media room after Alabama's football practice Wednesday and tore into the reporters for being too nice to Alabama.

It was a bully move, and a bully should never get away with it. Not ever, not if there's a chance to call him on it, explain to him -- and to everyone else -- that what he did was wrong and unfair. Not if there's a chance to embarrass him as he embarrassed others, not that Nick Saban strikes me as the type to get embarrassed about much. A man who would turn down a meeting with the president to watch a July football practice isn't the sort of man with the ability to peer deep within himself.

A man like Nick Saban isn't all that deep at all.

He stalked into the media room Wednesday and stood behind the microphone -- this man with a contract worth tens of millions, glaring at reporters making tens of thousands -- and then lashed out at a group of working people that he knew couldn't lash back.

"How is everybody today?" Saban asked.

Came the usual answers: Fine. Good. Etc.

"You might not be after I get done with you."

So it started. What followed was a harangue of miniature proportion -- Saban acting so ridiculous, so small, that it's embarrassing to watch.

So please, by all means, watch this guy for yourself.

Alabama fans will excuse it because he's their coach, and he's quite possibly the best coach in college football. We all understand, Alabama fans. As long as Nick Saban makes you happy on Saturday, you'll defend him the other six days of the week. Nobody's surprised, nobody's fooled, nobody's impressed.

As for Saban himself? Nobody's surprised, Nick. Nobody's fooled.

Nobody's impressed.

Understand, Saban didn't momentarily lose control Wednesday night. This was planned. Go back and look at the video. What do you see? Saban starts off wearing reading glasses, glancing down at notes on the podium, as he tears into the media for having the gall -- the nerve -- to anoint Alabama as the No. 1 team in college football after dismantling No. 8 Michigan a few days earlier.

"To make presumptions like you all make -- really, really upsets me," Saban said. "It's so unfair. You don't need to write about that. There's so many other good things happening around here that people would be interested in."

At this, Saban's voice starts to rise. He's not acting. He's legitimately angry.

"I'd love to see you people do a little bit of research, and figure it out."

Figure out what, exactly? That Alabama isn't the best team in college football? That Western Kentucky from the Sun Belt has a chance in hell Saturday? Western Kentucky has no chance on Saturday. Not in Tuscaloosa, where the game will be played. Not anywhere else. No chance. None. And Saban explained why, unwittingly, when he was asked about Western Kentucky's best defensive player and he answered, "He's an SEC player, no doubt."

Western Kentucky has one SEC player, maybe a few more. Alabama has roughly 85 of them. This game will be a blowout, no matter what the media writes, no matter how fired up Western Kentucky gets this week, no matter how content and unmotivated Alabama looks at practice.

And that's the problem, of course. Alabama had a lousy practice, by Saban's standards, Wednesday, so lousy that the media could tell. "More four-letter words were flying at this practice than we heard the entire month of August," according to this report.

Saban blamed the bad practice on the media.

"Man, it's work every day around here to try to keep our guys on track to have a little bit of humility and confidence," he said. "We win one game, and I can't believe what gets written."

When he opened it up to questions, Saban took one look around the room and offered a sly smile, the kind of smile a fifth-grader might give a fly before plucking its wings.

"So," Saban said with that stupid grin, "does anybody want to ask me a question or not? I'm trying to be nice about it, too."

Here from a reporter came a softball, something about the belief that a team generally makes its biggest improvement from week one to week two and --

Saban interrupted.

"Based on the way we practiced today and the attitude around here and what gets written and what everybody thinks, I would question whether that's happened or not."

Based on what gets written ...

So it's our fault, Saban was saying. Well, he decided, no it's not.

"It's my responsibility," he said. "It's nobody else's but mine."

Then what was that other stuff? The stuff that gets written, the presumptions we make, the lack of research? What about that?

Nobody asked those questions, of course, and I'm not down on the reporters in that room. They're beat writers, people who can't afford to pick a fight with the head coach of the No. 1 program in the country. They need access. They need Saban -- and he knows it. That's why it was such a bully move. He had the power in the room. And he had the microphone. And when it was over, when his usual 20-minute news conference was over in little more than five minutes, Saban had this to say:

"I didn't mean to intimidate y'all today," he said. "I just had to take it out on somebody."

Bullies always do.

stop hatin' cuz the man ditched the dolphins

Same here!

Tosh is actually a pretty big Dolphins fan.
And a Horn fan

ToshLonghorn.jpg

There's so much horsesh!t in that article I can smell it from here. I don't care that it's about Nick Saban, the guy's not a saint, what he is however is the best college football coach in the game right now. Sure he might be a one track guy, but I'll take that taskmaster over guys like Lane Kiffin and Urban Meyer any day of the week. Why? Because he demands excellence on the field and doesn't want his players reading into hype, hype doesn't win football games, preparation does.

Saban hit the nail on the head in his press conference when he spoke about paper champions. If the games don't matter then why are they played? Sure the media needs something to talk about, but writing about National Champions after one game against an over ranked team is asinine. Alabama should prepare for WKY just like they would for AU or LSU or any other team for that matter. I for one applaud Saban for demanding focus and commitment from his team, perhaps if Lloyd Carr had done the same Appalachain State wouldn't have rolled into the Big House and laid wood to Michigan.

What is wrong with wanting to instill humility and work ethic in your players? Of course Greg Doyell completely forgot what he said about players in another piece he wrote recently:

In most cases, players act out because their coach allows it. And I'm not writing a politically correct sonnet to college football players, absolving them of misbehavior, because they don't deserve it. They're knuckleheads and ingrates, the ones who get into trouble. They've been treated like heroes for so long -- by weak peers and lazy teachers in high school, and then more of the same in college -- that they don't get it. They think they're special because people like their coaches, and people like their fans, have shown them they are special. So some of these idiots think they can smoke a joint or steal a laptop or even, to their utter shame, hit a woman. And their coaches, those idiots, let them get away with it.

Text above taken from: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...d-criminals-winning-programs-create-criminals

Doyle needs to stick to writing about UFC or learn to wear his big boy undies. If this press conference was bullying the by God I went to school with some mean MF'rs that should've been locked up.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2012/09/mount_saban_erupts_in_his_wedn.html

I tend to agree that Saban is an asshole, but I also agree with SW, there was a lot of BS in that article.

Poor Savannah State. Lame of OSU and FSU to take these games and I am an FSU fan.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...ting-70-1-2-points-vs-florida-state-seminoles

OK, so you're planning to plop down a few bucks on a college football game -- legally, of course -- and trying to decide whether to stick with the favorite or take the points.

Well, here's a tough one.
If you go with No. 6 Florida State in Saturday's game against lowly Savannah State, you'll be starting with a 70½-point deficit.
That's right, SEVENTY AND A HALF!
"Without a doubt," said Mike Colbert, vice president of risk management for Las Vegas-based Cantor Gaming, "this is the biggest line I've put up in 10 years doing this."
No kidding. From all indications, this is largest point spread ever for a Division I game.
But before you race out to bet the mortgage on the underdog, consider this: The Tigers were nearly as big an underdog last week -- in the 65½-point range -- and they didn't come close to covering. No. 18 Oklahoma State romped to an 84-0 rout, handing Savannah State its eighth straight defeat going back to last season.
"We had to make an even bigger line for Florida State," Cantor said, "because we think Florida State is better than Oklahoma State."
Savannah State (0-1) scheduled these first two games strictly for the money. The school is collecting paychecks totaling $860,000, which will go a long way toward helping the financially strapped athletic program meet its total budget of $5.1 million.

They signed up for the cash. Good on them, doing what they need to do to get the bills paid. I can respect that.

Because they will get two huge paychecks that will basically cover the expense that the rest of their athletic programs may have.

Yeah i edited the post. I missed that part at the end. Its more lame for FSU and OSU.

They signed up for the cash. Good on them, doing what they need to do to get the bills paid. I can respect that.

Exactly. They weren't either teams first option, but its who fit the schedule. Good for them for paying the bills in two weeks.

Because they will get two huge paychecks that will basically cover the expense that the rest of their athletic programs may have.

The funny thing is apparently they took over 400000$ less than most schools getting for two high profile teams like this. Apparently the AD is a moron.

The funny thing is apparently they took over 400000$ less than most schools getting for two high profile teams like this. Apparently the AD is a moron.
Ouch, that sucks.

They should hold out. It's just a contract.

Exactly, the non football sports wouldn't have a chance of funding without stuff like this. Yeah they get the crap kicked out of them, but at least they're being paid for their troubles.

I would love to hear from the fans of some of these lower level schools playing the power houses, do they really enjoy attending or watching them?

Exactly, the non football sports wouldn't have a chance of funding without stuff like this. Yeah they get the crap kicked out of them, but at least they're being paid for their troubles.

I would love to hear from the fans of some of these lower level schools playing the power houses, do they really enjoy attending or watching them?

It's really cool for the friends in family of the players who don't live near the school. It is the only chance to watch the team play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back