Cleveland Classic Driver - THP Preview Thread

I have a little bit of ball showing above the crown. It's definitely higher than where I tee up for other drivers I've had.

Posted via tapatalk.

Would you guys say that the 9* head coupled with this high-launching shaft (43s) is a decently forgiving driver? On the simulator at GT the 9* was longer and had more backspin (weird?) with a lower ball-flight than the 10.5* and I liked it but I just tend not to trust those simulators, especially when it comes to dispersion. Up and down this thread people are calling it a "fairway finder" etc so I apologize if this horse has been beat already. I guess I'm just wondering, for those that have hit both, does the 9* sacrifice forgiveness compared to the 10.5 degree?

Not really sure about that. The heads are the same aside from the 1.5° loft difference. I think finding the head/shaft combo that gives you the best launch conditions is what you should shoot for.

Would you guys say that the 9* head coupled with this high-launching shaft (43s) is a decently forgiving driver? On the simulator at GT the 9* was longer and had more backspin (weird?) with a lower ball-flight than the 10.5* and I liked it but I just tend not to trust those simulators, especially when it comes to dispersion. Up and down this thread people are calling it a "fairway finder" etc so I apologize if this horse has been beat already. I guess I'm just wondering, for those that have hit both, does the 9* sacrifice forgiveness compared to the 10.5 degree?

I think the 10.5 is more forgiving of the two when it comes to a low launching low spinning head like the Classic. More loft generally is more forgiving for me when all else is equal.

One question I do have for all the Classic owners on here is with the very deep, large clubface, how high are most of you teeing up your ball? Is the half the ball above the crown of the driver still the norm? I have noticed on occasion when I tee my ball up to this height, my ball marks are on the very top edge of the crown, almost like I am only making contact with like 1/3 of the golfball. What height have most of you been teeing up your golfball? Thanks!

I just started teeing it a little lower the last time I was at the range and had much better results. Now, I don't have too much of the ball sticking out above the clubface at all. It's helped me hit the center of the club more often, and I've been getting a lower, more piercing flight.

Well, hello there. I am looking forward to getting to know you better as well. Let's go on a date Sunday!

DSC_0794.jpg

Good stuff Cookie. What shaft do you have in it?

Please bring that to Des Moines if you can.

J40 / Classic - yes. AMP is done with for me at this time.

290 9* with the Kusala Black 72S shaft.

Woah, nice dude. That's going to be a low-launching, low-spinning beast. Good luck with it.

Oh yes, it will be there.

Sweet! Probably not a great match for me, but I want to try some new things. I bet that it's good for you and your high-ball hitting.

Woah, nice dude. That's going to be a low-launching, low-spinning beast. Good luck with it.

That's the plan!

Wow, AMPstruction.

That is a very nice combo!

Thanks man!

Sweet! Probably not a great match for me, but I want to try some new things. I bet that it's good for you and your high-ball hitting.

That's what I am hoping for. Comparing profiles between this and the J40, they are pretty darn similar as to what I should see out of it. Curious to see if this shafts fits me any better than the PX 6. Plus, this thing is just sweet looking!

Have you swung the Kusala Black before? I was surprised at how smooth feeling it was. I expected something totally different.

Cookie, I think this setup will be perfect for you. However, I would be better off teeing off with a putter!

Have you swung the Kusala Black before? I was surprised at how smooth feeling it was. I expected something totally different.

Negative. Have swung the Classic with C Kua but just way too high launching for me. It was either Black or Indigo. I heard the Black's stiff tip is not quite as stiff as the Whiteboard, so that should help me.

Cookie, I think this setup will be perfect for you. However, I would be better off teeing off with a putter!

Thinking you just could not get it off the ground, huh?

Thinking you just could not get it off the ground, huh?
I have hit the 9* Classic, it was a mess. I just was hitting shots about a foot off the ground.

Negative. Have swung the Classic with C Kua but just way too high launching for me. It was either Black or Indigo. I heard the Black's stiff tip is not quite as stiff as the Whiteboard, so that should help me.

Perhaps the stock C.Kua 43s would be a good choice for the 7.5* lofted 290 however!

Anybody tried that combo yet?

Last edited:
Perhaps the C.Kua 43s would be a good choice for the 7.5* lofted 290 however!

Anybody tried that combo yet?

I have not, but would really like to. I hit my 9 with the C.Kua 43s pretty high, so it would be fun to see what the 7.5 would do.

I can't wait to see that combo in person Cookie. I really like the C. Kua shaft in a 3-wood but it never translated as well as I expected in a driver.

Freddie: will do man, looks great!

Erik: you need to take some swings and see what it gives you man.

I just hope my swing is working Sunday....well....working as well as my swing can. Haha

Tappin' from the iPhone!

Back