TPC Sawgrass, Stadium Course

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap

Each and every year the world's greatest duffers make their way to Pete Dye's master piece, The Stadium Course @ TPC Sawgrass. The so called 5th major is contested on this very well maintained golfing mecca. The fairways are tight but not narrow, ample room to manuver your ball into the correct locals off the tee. This is key to get at the smallish, lighting fast greens. The rough is a 1/2 shot penalty but the after the second cut you are typically in the amongst the towering pines or nestled in the pine needles. If you find yourself in one of thhese areas off the tee, may I suggest a shot back into the fairway and play from that point forward.

The Stadium course It's not a bombers paradise, it's a thinkers course or a position golf course. You can hit a perfect drive in the fairway and still be out of position to attack the flag. Sometimes old man par is your buddy.
While championship tees stretch the Stadium Course to 7,215 yards, there are three other yardage options to suit your game. The blue tees measure 6,661 yards and the white tees are at 6,103. A blended tee option at 6,402 yards offers a nice compromise. The forward, or ladies’ tees are at 5,109 yards. (Taken fromhttp://www.tpc.com/sawgrass-the-players-stadium-course) So as you can see the Stadium offers something for each level of golfer.

I think most come to try their hand at #17, arguably the most famous par3 in the world.

IMG_0224.jpg
Golfers travel into Pontre Vedra in piles to try their luck where such champions as Freddie Couples, DL3, El Nino and yes even Mr Woods have played and won. It's something special to hit a ball from the same spot as the best of the best and do well or have a great story for those that will hang on your every owrd after your trip. But TPC Sawgrass has 16 other holes that require your immediate attention and if you make it off 17 with a good feeling it is soon vanquished when you creep over the hill and see what awaits in the par 4 18th.
IMG_0225.jpg

The tee shot on 18 is a sobering sight to say the least. You must stand and deliver if you hope to make par. But like I said earlier, you have about 4 hours to think about 17 & 18. Sawgrass really treats you well from minute you hop out of your car.

You are greeted by a man with a clip board that request your name and tee time. Another gentlemen wisk your clubs away top the staging area and you are directed inside the massive italian style club house. Once you enter through the giant couble doors you are are in a huge plush foyer that is very well decorated and has the feel of history. You kinds get lost as wander down to the proshop and pay your c"ar note" green fees (well worth it!)

The proshop is large and has a great deal of items any golfer would love to purchase to show off to others that you played Dye's demon. The guys behind the counter are very nice and warm. They really make you feel good as you pay your fees. They usher you out to your cart with a hardy 'have a great day'. The staging area sits above the course so you see the chipping area to your right, the range next to that and the course to the left of that.

As you are preparing to hit balls a guy will approach in a caddie bib and introduce himself to you and your foursome or playing partner. This is your forecaddie, he will club each person in the group, read the greens, rack the traps and make you feel good no matter your level on the course. Like any course with forecaddies, tipping is a must at the completion of 18 holes. At least $20 and more if you had a great day. He will usher you toward the first tee a few minutes prior as the putting green is right behind the opening hole.

IMG_0203-1.jpg

The starter know you are coming and greets you on the first tee and hands you brass bag tag with instruction to have it customized after the round as a keep sake. Some neverous banter may insue and then it's time to play the beast. You forecaddie will asses your skill level on the range and will either agree with your tee choice or suggest another set. Ultimatlely it is up to the player but for $375 per man I'd pick a tee that will let you enjoy your day.

The course flows from hole to hole and really captures your attention on each shot. As you can see from the ubove picture you have to execute from the first tee. Left of the fiarway bunker it key or take aim at the tall pine in the middle of the photo. Your voice echos in between the towering pines and you reall yfeel like the course is all yours with your buddies. After you've taken you opening tee ball you set forth on a gold adventure you will remember one way or another.

Depending on what tees you play, #2 maybe reachable with a solid drive.
IMG_0204-1.jpg

IMG_0205-1.jpg

The par 3 third is a pretty straight forward hole with another small green, not a lot of room for error.
IMG_0206-1.jpg

#4 for me is where the course starts to show its teeth. It's a short par 4 but demands a ball in the fairway to attach the flag. The greens has three quadrants and two levels.
IMG_0207.jpg

Five is a beast of a par 4 that requires a long drive and will leave you a mid to long iron into the green. Take par and run to the short demanding par 4 6th. The low hanging limb is in play depending on the tees you play
IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

#7 is anothe beast of a par 4 with water down the left. a good poke here will level you a low mid iron into a long narrow green.
IMG_0211.jpg

#8 is a long par three with no bailout. You have to hit a shot on the green and then hit two goos putts to make par. There is no flag hunting on this green.
IMG_0212.jpg

#9 is reachable par 5 with a good tee ball but the green is the size of most freshman dorm rooms and not worth the risk. So lay up to 100 yards and try to make birdie the old fashioned way

Between 9s you can stop at the snack hut and pickup a dog or over priced turket sammie before you set out on the harder of the two nines.
IMG_0213.jpg

#10 requires a laser off the tee and anywhere from a 7i to a SW into the green. There is not room for error off the tee even though the fairway is pretty wide. Its just a narrow looking shot
IMG_0214.jpg

#11 is a three shot par 5 unless you are a long hitter, then it requires to great shots. The better play is to lay up.
IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg

#12 is short par 4, take you 200 yard club and hit it down the middle. It is the only way you will have a good shot at the green.
IMG_0217.jpg

#13 is good par three with a huge slop running from the middle left to the back of the green. Depending on the flag placement you could have an easy play or a creative play.
IMG_0218.jpg

#14 is a game changer, a long par 4 that required not only length but accuracy off the tee. Take par and run to 15, a daunting par 4 that is more tee ball than anything else. If you can hit a going fade into the FW you'll have a good view of the green
IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

#16 is a short risk/reward dogleg left par 5. The preferred shot is going drawing down the middle that could leave you a descent shot at the green in two. The lay up is not ewasy sionce there is a huge useless tree blocking the front left of the green positioned 100 yards out. If you bail right...you'll be in the water. Your skill level will dictate what you do.
IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

The op hole is next, #17. the green is tiny when you actually make you way across the sliver of a walkway and its shorter than it looks on TV. It's true what thay say, the camera really does add 10lbs.

Then the closiing 18th makes you suck it up for 4 more quality shots.

The Stadium course is a full on golf challenge and requires your full attention. After you settle up with your forecaddie, head inside and grab some grub and a beverage in their grill room. I promise you'll be trying to figure out the next trip.

Dude tadashi, what a great Freaking review! I loved it man.

Nice review Freddie. Love playing that course and thought you summarized every hole pretty accurately.

14 is a cruel cruel hole.

Good review Freddie. That is certainly a course I have always wanted to play, and hope to at some point. It looks quite tough but still fun.

Awesome writeup!

Great write up Freddie! That is a ton of water on that course. I really hope to get a shot at this course someday soon.

Holy review Freddy. You really brought it with that!! I would love to play Sawgrass.

Awesome review Freddie, I need to make it out there sometime, that price sure is hard to stomach though.

Sign me up! Fantastic write up and pictures. This course is on my bucket list.

Amazing review Freddie. Sawgrass is one of my bucket list courses.

Dan

Sent via Tapatalk on my Samsung galaxy s3

Love it! Great review bro, hope to venture that way someday

Awesome review , That's a place I have to play .

Great review Freddie, I would love to play there one day

What did you score ?

Awesome job Freddie, what an absolutely beautiful course! At that price, I could never play it often but it would really cool to experience it one of these days.

That price is steep and I thank my lucky stars that I have never come close to footing that bill. May have to take the Florida Posse up for a round in 2013.

I have a standing invitation to play this bad boy for free. Just need to get to the area first...

Awesome review!!

Thanks everyone, it's a must play.

Holy review Freddy. You really brought it with that!! I would love to play Sawgrass.

+1, WTG Freddie. Looks like you can't get lazy while playing and really need to think about where you want to be! Great review.

Great review and pictures. Maybe next time you're up I can make it out. Would be good to get out and play the entire course without a thunderstorm to cut it short.

I have a standing invitation to play this bad boy for free. Just need to get to the area first...

Awesome review!!

I'd jump on that invitation for sure!!!

Amazing review Freddie. Nice mixture of course detail and personal experience. Helps as well that the place is just beautiful.

Digging up a great review here. I really want to play this course at some point this year.

Freddie (or any THPer), did you stay at the Sawgrass Marriott or just drive over for the day? You have the option to walk the course with a caddie, right? This course would kick my butt but I'd really enjoy the history, scenery and that awesome clubhouse.

Back