The Official Tiger Woods Thread

I hate to say this but I would not be surprised in the least if he wins this weekend.

I can't remember too many events that TW blazed on the final day. He always has a game plan and rarely goes away from the that. The rest of the field just backed up or failed to show. This gave the illusion that TW had that gear.
I'm seeing the same TW but a few that can beat him or just one that can beat him on the regular. The scores he put up the last two weeks in previous years would have won. I just think rory is better, no extra heat needed.

Yeah, I was kinda getting at that. The Tiger showing up on day 1 was the Tiger you got for all 4 days. Maybe it's cos it was some time ago, but I don't remember too many times where he slugged it out on a final day and came through. Perhaps the best front runner ever, but you're right in saying he doesn't have that push that Rory has showed lately.

I think Rory is an amazing talent, but I think a lot of you are giving him a little too much credit too soon.

Rory is far from consistent throughout a full season. Sure when he gets hot, he gets hot, but lets not forget he played some pretty lackluster golf during the summer up until the PGA Championship. I think that Tiger's game is getting better each week, but I still don't think he's got his A-game right now.

And this not having another gear is kinda bogus in my opinion. Tiger can go low with the best of them. Honda Classic firing a 62 on the final day this year. Was Tiger's win at the US Open at Pebble Beach and the 1997 Masters players backing off and failing to show? If that's the case, then why is it different for Rory's US Open and PGA Championship win? Just not sure how you classifying players backing off or failing to show. I don't think you get to 74 PGA Tour wins and 14 majors solely on other players backing off or failing to show up, you have to have that a different gear that other players just don't have.

I just think people are jumping to some pretty bold conclusions based on the past 5-6 weeks. Any one of the players on the tour right now can get hot for a couple month stretch (Jason Dufner, Zach Johnson, Hunter Mahan, etc), but it's the great ones who can keep that going throughout full seasons. I think Rory is a great golfer and one of the best in the world, I'd just like to see him play this way throughout a full year.

Man Tiger has really got the timing of his swing down now, it looks really good today. His distances seem to be much more accurate as well, hope he wins it.

I think Rory is an amazing talent, but I think a lot of you are giving him a little too much credit too soon.

Rory is far from consistent throughout a full season. Sure when he gets hot, he gets hot, but lets not forget he played some pretty lackluster golf during the summer up until the PGA Championship. I think that Tiger's game is getting better each week, but I still don't think he's got his A-game right now.

And this not having another gear is kinda bogus in my opinion. Tiger can go low with the best of them. Honda Classic firing a 62 on the final day this year. Was Tiger's win at the US Open at Pebble Beach and the 1997 Masters players backing off and failing to show? If that's the case, then why is it different for Rory's US Open and PGA Championship win? Just not sure how you classifying players backing off or failing to show. I don't think you get to 74 PGA Tour wins and 14 majors solely on other players backing off or failing to show up, you have to have that a different gear that other players just don't have.

I just think people are jumping to some pretty bold conclusions based on the past 5-6 weeks. Any one of the players on the tour right now can get hot for a couple month stretch (Jason Dufner, Zach Johnson, Hunter Mahan, etc), but it's the great ones who can keep that going throughout full seasons. I think Rory is a great golfer and one of the best in the world, I'd just like to see him play this way throughout a full year.

I don't know how old you are but they all said the same thing about Tiger until he won the '97 masters. Rory has that it factor and barring injury, scandal or abrupt fall from grace I think are getting ready to see something pretty special from Rory.
I agree that tiger doesn't have his 'A' game.....with his putter. Everything else is all in and working well. If he ever gets that famous putting stroke back he and Rory will be with a stroke of each other going head to head. But with out that putter, Rory has him and has shown us in the last two events. I'm not signing off on Tiger but there has to be a time that people stop holding their breathe and admit that his game tight. Maybe just maybe Rory really is better.

One thing is for certain, these last couple of weeks have been fun to watch.

Freddie do you think the saying about loosing the putting stroke and never getting it back is true?

I don't really want to get into how good Norman was, but for all the people who cite Eldrick's 600+ weeks at Number One in the world, Norman was Number One for 331 weeks, BY FAR the most other than Woods. (Since 1986, when it started)

Faldo is third at 97. Just throwing it out there.

I don't know how old you are but they all said the same thing about Tiger until he won the '97 masters. Rory has that it factor and barring injury, scandal or abrupt fall from grace I think are getting ready to see something pretty special from Rory.
I agree that tiger doesn't have his 'A' game.....with his putter. Everything else is all in and working well. If he ever gets that famous putting stroke back he and Rory will be with a stroke of each other going head to head. But with out that putter, Rory has him and has shown us in the last two events. I'm not signing off on Tiger but there has to be a time that people stop holding their breathe and admit that his game tight. Maybe just maybe Rory really is better.

One thing is for certain, these last couple of weeks have been fun to watch.

I remember when Tiger came on scene (I was about 15) and I remember thinking the exact same thing that I do now about Rory. I just think that Rory needs to show more consistency before I even think of lumping him with the likes of Tiger, Arnie, and Jack.

You are absolutely right in that Rory may in fact end up being better than Tiger, anything is possible and there is no way I'd ever rule that out. But I guess what I was trying to say is make him earn it. You just never know how things are going to turn out. Sergio was also suppose to be the guy that would rival Tiger and many thought he had the "it" factor, but his career never went the way that it was expected to. Granted, Rory already has 2 majors, but it still remains to be seen what will happen with the rest of his career, and I am definitely excited to see it all unfold.

I think these are some of the best times to be a golf fan.

I remember when Tiger came on scene (I was about 15) and I remember thinking the exact same thing that I do now about Rory. I just think that Rory needs to show more consistency before I even think of lumping him with the likes of Tiger, Arnie, and Jack.

You are absolutely right in that Rory may in fact end up being better than Tiger, anything is possible and there is no way I'd ever rule that out. But I guess what I was trying to say is make him earn it. You just never know how things are going to turn out. Sergio was also suppose to be the guy that would rival Tiger and many thought he had the "it" factor, but his career never went the way that it was expected to. Granted, Rory already has 2 majors, but it still remains to be seen what will happen with the rest of his career, and I am definitely excited to see it all unfold.

I think these are some of the best times to be a golf fan.

Think of it this way, TW was very inconsistent from '96-'98. I'm not sure how many he won during that time but I hunk it was 1 major and 5 tour events. From '99-'08 he had a strangle hold on the tour ( some say I'm Finchem as well) I think we are seeing Rory's '99. The only difference is that TW had no equal during his stretch, rory has TW.

Freddie do you think the saying about loosing the putting stroke and never getting it back is true?
I don't know what he is doing to fix it. When he is on it really good but the exact opposite is true when he is off. He's not that far off, maybe 1 more putt a round and he is back to a whole Tiger. I don't think it will ever be as good as it once was with some serious coaching. But it do thinkit will be good enough to beat jacks record

Think of it this way, TW was very inconsistent from '96-'98. I'm not sure how many he won during that time but I hunk it was 1 major and 5 tour events. From '99-'08 he had a strangle hold on the tour ( some say I'm Finchem as well) I think we are seeing Rory's '99. The only difference is that TW had no equal during his stretch, rory has TW.

That's a very good point.

When comparing Tiger and Rory, would you take into account Rory turning pro earlier than Tiger? Or would you compare straight based on age? I'm kind of on the fence on this issue. On the one hand, the more experience you get on a professional level, the better it is for you. But on the other hand, age and maturity play a large role in golf, as it effects decision making.

That's a very good point.

When comparing Tiger and Rory, would you take into account Rory turning pro earlier than Tiger? Or would you compare straight based on age? I'm kind of on the fence on this issue. On the one hand, the more experience you get on a professional level, the better it is for you. But on the other hand, age and maturity play a large role in golf, as it effects decision making.
I think comparing years on tour straight up is the way I would go. They both played pro events as AMs so they knew how to handle the preasure by the time they reached the tour. I think Rory was thrust on the tour and TW dictated when he and how he would enter. Either way to this point comparing their starts, I think they mirror each other pretty well.

I think comparing years on tour straight up is the way I would go. They both played pro events as AMs so they knew how to handle the preasure by the time they reached the tour. I think Rory was thrust on the tour and TW dictated when he and how he would enter. Either way to this point comparing their starts, I think they mirror each other pretty well.

Yeah, I guess at first I was thinking that when they turned pro, they were actually playing for money to live on. But I completely neglected they were both pretty set as far as sponsorships go, that they didn't really need to win tournaments to "survive" so to speak.

It's going to be a lot of fun to watch Rory in the coming years. I hope he's able to do some amazing things.

Guys, this discussion has become far too balanced and fair, and everyone seems to be taking each other's points on board. This is a TIGER thread darnit!

Only saw his last few holes of the first round, but he certainly looked like he knew where the ball was going off the club face yesterday. I even saw the driver come out! Now there's a rare sight nowadays.

Guys, this discussion has become far too balanced and fair, and everyone seems to be taking each other's points on board. This is a TIGER thread darnit!

Only saw his last few holes of the first round, but he certainly looked like he knew where the ball was going off the club face yesterday. I even saw the driver come out! Now there's a rare sight nowadays.

He hit his driver well yesterday, and I think it certainly made a big difference in his confidence level. If he can hit fairways, he can get wedges close I think, because when he believes in and commits to the shot, there's no one better. He just needs a solid putting stroke again to make some big birdies and heroic saves, and he'll get his majors. He looks really good!

He hit his driver well yesterday, and I think it certainly made a big difference in his confidence level. If he can hit fairways, he can get wedges close I think, because when he believes in and commits to the shot, there's no one better. He just needs a solid putting stroke again to make some big birdies and heroic saves, and he'll get his majors. He looks really good!

I agree, a Tiger who can hit a driver with confidence will look more confident over every other shot. He's almost been trying to play Luke Donald's game for the last few months.

I don't think he's off at all with the irons, he's throwing darts out there often. The big question mark is the putter. Maybe he's been neglecting practice for so long, it'll take time to come back. Maybe it's just not there any more.

Tiger played pretty well with the Intimidator yesterday.

Tiger is poised to play exactly how he has the past few tournaments.

Tiger played pretty well with the Intimidator yesterday.

I love the fact they're joking about it like they are..

I caught the last part of the broadcast yesterday and then the post-round interviews. Poor Rory had to answer more questions about Tiger than himself.

I caught the last part of the broadcast yesterday and then the post-round interviews. Poor Rory had to answer more questions about Tiger than himself.

Maybe that will keep him humble and not the ego monster that I perceive Tiger to be.

I know man, but he really seems to like playing with him, Hope he doesn't go all Sergio and stuff and start asking what about me lol.

I'm sure Tiger gets tired of answering Jack questions too.

Tiger is poised to play exactly how he has the past few tournaments.

You are wise, bearded one. I suspect an acceleration from some, a decel from Tiger and maybe a few others. Bo Van Pelt is going low, for sure. Way low. Like 60 or 61 low. Tiger can't stand up to those types of rounds.

Kevin

Back