Cleveland Classic Driver - THP Preview Thread

For sure. I've had much higher spin at times in the past, so it could be worse. I like hitting this driver so much.

I don't know buddy. Just got ball speed, launch, spin. I assume that it's high 90's or maybe the very low 100's based on the past.

10 degree head or maybe even just a little stiffer tip. Heck, could it have been the ball they had you hitting?

My worry is that I'll lose that launch angle though. It's sort of a catch-22. Surely a swing issue, but I'd love if I could figure out a way to swing the same, keep the launch, and lower the spin. I want it all lol.

Man, coming to Ohio would have been brilliant for you!! hahaha -- The B.Asha 3s plays probably at 44g and has a flex code of 5433 which is just a touch tip stiffer (at least I think.. Isn't the 43s 8722?)

10 degree head or maybe even just a little stiffer tip. Heck, could it have been the ball they had you hitting?

Good point about the ball. I could see a difference there with a little work.

Man, coming to Ohio would have been brilliant for you!! hahaha -- The B.Asha 3s is 5433 which is just a touch tip stiffer (at least I think.. Isn't the 43s 8722?)

Yea it is. I've thought about that. I think the 5 series might not be so good for my ability to get the head square based off the radio show. Even the 4S has a little different profile.

Yea it is. I've thought about that. I think the 5 series might not be so good for my ability to get the head square based off the radio show. Even the 4S has a little different profile.

I think you're right. The 5 series would add about 17 grams and definitely has a much different flex profile, whereas the 3 would have very similar weighting with a touch softer butt and slighter stiffer tip section.

I am gushing on B.Asha and Miyazaki man.. There are so many incredible options.

I hear that. Hell, I've always been a fan of the C Kua for what it's worth.

I think you're right. The 5 series would add about 17 grams and definitely has a much different flex profile, whereas the 3 would have very similar weighting with a touch softer butt and slighter stiffer tip section.

I am gushing on B.Asha and Miyazaki man.. There are so many incredible options.

After tonight I doubt I will ever own another driver shaft. Simply ridiculous. I hate sounding like a total homer and it's still early but WOW.

After tonight I doubt I will ever own another driver shaft. Simply ridiculous. I hate sounding like a total homer and it's still early but WOW.

I hope ATL wasn't a honeymoon for me man.. We'll find out pretty quickly, but right now I am under the impression the Kusala is for winds of 20+ and the B.Asha is for EVERYTHING else.

It's probably in here somewhere but how in the classics distance compared to the other drivers

It's probably in here somewhere but how in the classics distance compared to the other drivers

I really think it depends on the user. The Classic isn't the longest driver I've hit but it doesn't get embarrassed either. What it is is solid, reliable, forgiving, and by far the best driver I've had in the bag.

It is the longest driver I have ever hit by a long ways.

posting from my S3 so please excuse my spelling mistakles.

How is it compared to rocketballz or Nike vr-s

How is it compared to rocketballz or Nike -s

Really depends on the golfer swinging it. I tried the RBZ with the stock shaft earlier this year and didn't have much luck. VRS was ok, but nothing spectacular compared to the Cleveland Black. I definitely picked up some yards with the classic. When it's on, it's deadly. Working on my driver swing right now. This one is a keeper for me and upset my father in law's Adams & Ping drivers.

Ok thanks

OK, so I'm ready to write down my thoughts on the Classic 310. I had an extensive range session on Tuesday and again today. The very first thing I noticed about the 310 that I didn't really notice on the indoor hitting bays at the PGA superstore was the sound at impact. It was very unlike my G20. Not totally quiet but a solid thwack, like the club was actually made of solid wood. It felt a little harder than my G20 but at the same time the ball jumped off the face pretty hot. I attribute the harder feel to crappy old range balls. Tuesday was tough to judge fully because it was the first time I've been able to swing a club in a few weeks and I was struggling to get back in my groove. I hit some good shots and some poor shots. It definitely hits a lower ball than my G20 but that is to be expected since the G20 is a 10.5* and the 310 is an 8.5*. I was looking for a more penetrating flight and better rollout. The 310 definitely gives me that. Today I had my swing working a little better and it showed. I hit a lot more good shots and my misses weren't anything that would usually be out of play. Today I could really feel the Kusala black 61x working with some good clubhead lag. It loaded nicely. The range I usually go to is pretty flat but beyond 200 yards you can't see ground because of a little ridge running across the range. You can see the ball land and bounce but it is difficult to tell exactly were and how far they land. I could see them bounce 4-5 times compared to 2-3 times with my G20. So that tells me I'm getting considerably more rollout with the 310. I could tell that I was getting pretty good carry still. Maybe not quite as much as the G20 but I'm thinking the additional rollout will make the difference. I really need to get on a course with a real ball for the full evaluation. But so far my Classic 310 hits cruise missiles that get good roll out. I can't wait to play a round with it. I think I'll play 9 from the tips next time out just to get a few more drives in with it.

Hey everyone! This is my very first post to this site, so here it goes.
I played the SL290 in stock Miyazaki stiff flex shaft this whole season and have never been as accurate and long as I was this year. I play to a 4.5 handicap (would be better if I could only sink a few more putts...but we all say the same thing-lol), my SS is only about 92-98mph and is pretty smooth.
After reading all of the reviews, I was very anxious to try out this Cleveland Classic (loved the fact that it has a deep face). Well It's definitely easy to hit in the center, but I dont feel that I'm getting the carry (and overall distance) and especially not the same accuracy as I am with the SL290.

Is it just me, or are others "feeling" the same way?

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

Welcome to THP and I've said it before, it is not the longest driver for me but its by far the best for my game. It's solid, predictable and accurate. I like that!

Welcome to THP billybob! Stop by the "Check in Desk" so everyone can get to know you. http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?14-Check-In-Desk

Many of us have come to love the Classic, you may just need to play around with different shafts to find the best fit for you to get the best results. Many people have tried the Kusala line of shafts and have been very happy with the results. Do you have somewhere nearby that has demo head/shaft combos you can try out?

The 2 local places that do fittings do not carry much, if any, in the lines of Cleveland (drivers especially). I will keep checking around, or just stick with the SL290.
Because "If it aint broken, why try to fix it?"

Hey everyone! This is my very first post to this site, so here it goes.
I played the SL290 in stock Miyazaki stiff flex shaft this whole season and have never been as accurate and long as I was this year. I play to a 4.5 handicap (would be better if I could only sink a few more putts...but we all say the same thing-lol), my SS is only about 92-98mph and is pretty smooth.
After reading all of the reviews, I was very anxious to try out this Cleveland Classic (loved the fact that it has a deep face). Well It's definitely easy to hit in the center, but I dont feel that I'm getting the carry (and overall distance) and especially not the same accuracy as I am with the SL290.

Is it just me, or are others "feeling" the same way?

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

I was in the same boat regarding carry, I tried a few different shafts and ended up with the Miyazaki Kusala White. That shaft gave me more carry and I am very happy with it.

Ok, just had my 3rd range session hitting my new classic 310 and I am crazy pumped! :banana:

First off I should probably not get a 150 ball bucket and not start hitting my driver until about 110 balls into it. I had to hit a dozen at half speed just to get my club slotted correctly and catch my breath a bit.

Once I did that, I was pretty consistent with some straight, some slight power fades, and a few draws. Most were low to mid-low ball flight with good roll out, which is what I am going for with this driver at 8.5*. Just fyi, I usually pick two points down range as my "fairway" and aim at a point in the middle.

My last 10 balls I hit 8 out of 10 in my fairway either down the middle or with just a slight push on the right edge but my last ball was a poor strike. So I reached in my scuffed ball pocket in my bag and pulled out a Nike One Tour with a small cart path rash on it because I can't leave on a bad shot.

HOLY CRAP!!! This was the first and only (so far) real ball (non chewed up range ball) I've hit with the 310 and WOW. A mid-low ball that took off like a .50 cal sniper rifle shot. It had that extra gear where you normally think it is going to start it's decent but it just keeps going for like an extra second. It came down hot and I think it hit the berm in the back of the range (about 305 yards) on one bounce but it was kind of hard to tell for sure since it was in shadows. I haven't hit a ball on that kind of trajectory with that kind of giddyup on it in a while. I can't wait to get it on the course with fresh good balls.

I'm really starting to find a groove for the Classic right now. It's a different kind of long than the J40 and I'm finding a good amount of control with the X-Stiff Kusala White.

A expected, the FUJIKURA 757 SPEEDER TOURSPEC is still the best driver shaft for me and PERFECT FOR THE CLEVELAND CLASSIC 290. This shaft makes the club feel way more solid compared to the stock C.Kua 43s, and offers much better distance and control. Furthermore, the Tourspec Graphics (Gold/White/Silver), against the Black primary shaft color are the perfect cosmetic match with the Classic 290 Clubhead. I chose the Black Tour Wrap grip to further complement the retro look. This combo combines a turly beautiful look with fantastic feel and performance. THE ULTIMATE BOMBER! I strongly recommend this combo!

Below are the reshafted Classic specs:

- Stock Cleveland Classic 290 Clubhead = 199 grams
- Fujikura .350 tip 757 Speeder Tourspec Shaft (77 grams)
- 45" clublength, shaft installed logo down and tipped 1/2"
- Golf Pride (original) Tour Wrap grip (50 grams)
- Swingweight D4 (Same swingweight as stock 290)
- Total weight = 330 grams

Guess I should call it a Classic 330 now!

(Click shaft/clubhead images below)

Attachments

• mBhWo9Kmpq0Q1PDwibYq0hg.jpg
    mBhWo9Kmpq0Q1PDwibYq0hg.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 0
  • timthumb.jpg
    timthumb.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Well, I have lurked here for about a year, my game is not good enough to give my opinion much value. Just wanted to thank you guys for turning me onto the Classic. I have had mine for a few weeks now after my 910 D3 got a little temper-mental. When I first received the Classic 290 I started hitting fairways again, but I was a good 30 yards short of previous drivers(approx 230 yards). I really had to back off the swing to keep the banana ball in play. I could live with the shorter distance since I was hitting 75% of fairways. But it finally started to bug me that most on here were seeing longer drives with this driver. I am a pretty large guy, so I thought maybe this thing was just too light for me? I experimented last night with some lead tape on the bottom of the club in line with the shaft. I only had a chance to hit 6 balls last night on the course at dusk to check it out, and I finally felt like I could swing at the ball again now that I could feel the head. All 6 in the middle of the fairway, and the last couple around 260 yards on an uphill hole. I am not completely convinced yet, but I may have solved my problems. Thank you guys for this forum and the info you give out to those of us who are not as knowledgeable.

Back