Etiquettee question/ poll

Etiquettee question/ poll

• Yes, that is reasonable

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • No, that is ridiculous

Votes: 73 83.0%

• Total voters
I think the key word is MOST in that short recap. Most means sometimes you guys play the way game was intended and don't play ready golf. I think his claim is valid but I also think a game among friends should never come down to something like this. Time really isn't an issue because you guys were in a match. It a tough call if you go on the rules of the game. But like I said before, most is the key.

I just make sure I play the same way everytime I tee it up and everyone I play with knows how I play. Ready golf unless a birdie has been made.

Ready Golf is the only way to play! Imo, We play 2 bucks a hole and we don't have any problems ever. To me it seems like he is being a bitter child.

I think the key word is MOST in that short recap. Most means sometimes you guys play the way game was intended and don't play ready golf. I think his claim is valid but I also think a game among friends should never come down to something like this. Time really isn't an issue because you guys were in a match. It a tough call if you go on the rules of the game. But like I said before, most is the key.

I just make sure I play the same way everytime I tee it up and everyone I play with knows how I play. Ready golf unless a birdie has been made.
That's how we do it too. It's bad karma to tee off in front of a birdie or better.

Last time I'd play for money with him .... Just sayin

he was obviously annoyed and it's the only thing that he could vent his frustration on, i'd have told him to get a grip and if he's going to be like that then don't think about me next time your wanting a playing partner.

I'm confused. You did say this guy is your friend, right???

I'm about as casual a golfer as you'll find, and I rarely play for money other than participation in an occassional points game at the local course but my personal rule is: if you're playing for money, play by the rules. friend or no friend, casual or not. set the expectation at the beginning of the round and no one's feelings get hurt. if anyone gets offended, they shouldn't be playing for stakes.

I will specify though that the dollar bet was on the whole round, not every individual hole. So it was more like 12 cents a hole

I voted 'ridiculous' because you said two things: 1-it was for fun ($1 is orders of magnitude off what most would consider serious money), and 2-you said you often play out of turn. I personally wouldn't care one bit about you being in a hurry (sorry, but my philosophy doesn't allow for voluntary 'in a hurry'), but if you were a buddy and we didn't normally strictly adhere to the rules, it was ridiculous. Now if we we playing 5 bucks a hole, or 50+ bucks to the winner, then if you hit a good shot I would make you hit again and feel justified.

I think this guy is b
eing an ass and I probably wouldn't play with him much more voluntarily, but it's easy enough to fix. Just make sure to specify ready golf or not b4 a round (I'm ALWAYS playing ready golf if not in a competition, and I don't count playing with a buddy a comp).

You need to play ready golf. I guess next time you play let the rules out on the first tee. He ows you a few beer.

Life is too short to golf with jerks.

Ready golf is the way to play. Your buddy was just being a clown since you were about to get his $1.

Yeah given my skill level and the skills of my friends, we basically have to play ready golf because at least one of us will have to do a little searching for our ball on most holes.

If you guys have always played ready golf, thn this is tricky-tack and stupid. If you guys have always played hard core rules then so be it.

I play ready golf and in this case would expect that to be accepted.

It was reasonable, but absurd....everyone has covered most points.

Your buddy was ridiculous, but right. It is always polite to ask if you plan on hitting out of turn in match play.

Wasn't it Julie Inkster who mande Annika replay a chip that she made, because she played out of turn.

It's a friendly match and ready golf is the name of the game...no way I rehit.

You did put him on the clock during the search for his ball right?

Nothing worse than someone who tries to use the rulebook to win, IMHO but then I never play for money.

You did put him on the clock during the search for his ball right?

Nothing worse than someone who tries to use the rulebook to win, IMHO but then I never play for money.

Not sure what you mean by on the clock, but his ball was in a leaf covered area at what had a possibility to be closer to the hole than mine, so after about 30 seconds of waiting I decided I would hit as to not waste time. He actually saw me hitting, didn't say anything. After he eventually found his ball and hit, he came to the green and told me to rehit, which I saw as clearly cheap play of the rules. If he had had a problem he would have said something prior to the shot, not wait and see if he can erase a good shot to better his chances

I was implying you could give him a dose of his own by questioning how long he took to find his ball as there is a time limit for lost ball if he wants to play by the rules.

I understand the need for rules but to me a friendly match between buddies should be just that. If you played out of turn against me it would never enter my mind to ask you to replay.

This thread is ridiculous. I'm sure if we went by the rules, 90% of what us hackers do would be some sort of rules violation. To me he was being immature and I would have no time for that on the golf course when I am out there to have fun.

Just did a quick skim. Your buddy is in the wrong. Sounds like he was getting frustrated and wanted to win so bad he became childish.

Make sure your friend sees this poll and the responses. Maybe he's cooled down a little, maybe he'll try to grasp onto the handful who said he was in the right. Friendly game for $1 for the entire match and you normally play ready golf, you didn't do anything unexpected. The reference to him being on the clock is to that fact that by the rule, he has 5 minutes to locate his ball before it is declared lost. From your post and replies, I doubt it took him 5 minutes to locate his ball, so that is probably a moot point. But if he moved his ball when looking for it or clearing leaves for his shot, then he's in the wrong. Maybe he even fluffed his lie or something, I doubt you would have noticed, but most people do these kinds of things and nobody is calling penalties on them. Tell him to pack sand and if this is how he's going to play, you aren't interested anymore. If it's a money thing, tell him you won't play him for the dollar anymore. Sounds like a little temper tantrum.

Back