2013 Morgan Cup Selection Thread - The Ultimate Amateur Golf Event

Status
Not open for further replies.
No doubt. Definitely preparing for the worst, still holding onto some hope, though.

You'd be a great addition Frankster!!!

Gray, your passion has always been one of the things I admire most about you.

We are less than 26 hours from selections beginning. Three new participants a night for six nights. Then the process gets real for 32 Golfers, 4 Sponsors, 2 Courses, 1 Cup.

I really cant believe that in a week we are going to have a full group of participants. I am so excited and honestly quite a bit nervous for all of this

Yep, the journey begins tomorrow evening and you know what? The butterflies are subsiding. (I can't tell you what I'll feel like tomorrow evening before the announcement though, hehe) I think I'm finally coming to grips with the fact that I might not get selected this week. And if not, that's fine. I'll feel a sense of disappointment, yes, but I still can't wait to meet all of the participants and volunteers down in MB next year. This one is going to be huge!

We are less than 26 hours from selections beginning. Three new participants a night for six nights. Then the process gets real for 32 Golfers, 4 Sponsors, 2 Courses, 1 Cup.

AD it's crazy to think its already here.

Been gone all day with my dad, so I just got caught up on this thread. Some really great things have been said. 25 and 1/2 hours til selection people!

Everyone that submitted a set of videos has an equal chance of being chosen. The only ones that are assured if not getting in are the ones that did not submit videos.
Tomorrow will start the process we have hyped, dreamed and talked about since the last MC ended. Let the next 6 days be exactly what they are, days to share in the successes of those chosen and the forum. The next 6 days will be filled with a flood of emotions for everyone involved and each will handle it differently. I wish everyone the best and hope your dreams come true.

Everyone that submitted a set of videos has an equal chance of being chosen. The only ones that are assured if not getting in are the ones that did not submit videos.
Tomorrow will start the process we have hyped, dreamed and talked about since the last MC ended. Let the next 6 days be exactly what they are, days to share in the successes of those chosen and the forum. The next 6 days will be filled with a flood of emotions for everyone involved and each will handle it differently. I wish everyone the best and hope your dreams come true.

Well said Freddie! I think what is getting lost is the great opportunity that 18 people are going to realize over the next 6 days along with the 14 that already know they are getting. Lets support the process, those already lucky 14 and the lucky 3 each night.

I know that you can't compare this to what I do but here goes. I am face with choosing guys every year for athletic teams. Some of thses guys are outstanding students but just do not have what it takes on the field. I have some that their parents are Booster members, Board members and even co workers. I would love to keep everyone but it is impossible. There is absolutely no way that you can make every one happy!! The line has to be drawn on how many I keep and sometimes that line is drawn and those kids are not selected. I have a hard time with this so I can't even imagine what it is like for an event like this.

I joined THP in July of this year and I consider myself very active. Am I as active as others? NO Am I as active during the school hours and year as I was during the summer? NO I think that the videos are a great idea. I can stand up in front of kids all day and talk and teach. I can stand in front of them all day and coach. I have been in stadiums with thousands of people and had to coah and it not bother me. But you put me in front of a camera and go into complete lock down mode. I submitted videos and I wouldn't be telling the truth if I said that I thought I had a chance. I think that I have no chance! Will I be disappointed....damn right I will. Will I quit posting and not support the site or the MC?? Not just NO but H*** NO!! I will continue posting and doing what I can to make myself a better golfer and a person. I have met to many great guys and to many good things have happened to me for me to be so upset that I just quit. For those that just quit after not being selected are those that are in it for the wrong reasons.

I will tell all of you like I tell my team after every game....win or lose.....You could make it with out me but I can't make it with out you!!! I will be here supporting the best way I can!!

24 hours fellas. Going to be a long day for a few.

I would think you would have so much fun as a volunteer, if not even more, as the participants because you get to hang out with some real good guys and watch some great golf and after all that still get to relive the action with everybody as well.

I hope you keep this enthusiasm whether you are picked or not. The Morgan Cup is about so much more than those that are selected, and it takes the entire community to Rock THP and the Sponsors for another one to occur the following year.

You know man, before I got to Myrtle for the Morgan Cup I had been on the forum for a while tried to be active and engage in conversation and stuff but I could never really gauge where I fit in, because it's so hard to measure that stuff on the internet. When I got to the course for the practice round on Thursday, Ary was there, Howzat, FrankA, and a ton of others, but it wasn't uncomfortable, it was cool because we had THP in common and conversation was easy it was like we had known each other for a while. The only thing we needed to catch up on was the personal stuff, where you from, what do you do, etc etc. The point I'm trying to make is that we weren't volunteers, we were members of the THP family, there was no bull****, drama, or funky stuff, it was cool as all get out and the whole group players and all just gelled. People hung after hours, ate, drank, shared truths and half truths, worked on swing thoughts, mechanics, shared tips, drills and so on man. It was freakin cool guys and no matter where you think you belong in it, you're right, you belong. Volunteer is just a word for being a friend in person and assuming some responsibility so that it goes off without a hitch, it's a team thing man and trust me it's the greatest team in golf.

Agreed. Almost there guys! Almost to the one if the best days in the lives of 3 lucky guys!

I don't think there's any way to avoid someone being unhappy. You can't even expect people to watch the winning videos and agree they were the best.

The best thing THP can do is be transparent about the process, and perhaps make rules that prevent the event from having any appearance of favoritism. For example, if a person has been to three MC's, perhaps they should not be eligible for a fourth without having to sit out 2 years, for example. To me, that makes more sense than a criteria such as "repped a sponsor a lot on the forum," as that's just too subjective.

Beyond that, it's just an unfortunate reality that the people who work so hard to put the event on are going to have hear some grumbling from someone who is not happy. But as individuals, we can make things better on JB/Morgan by making darn sure that if someone is complaining, it's not us.

Trout - awesome post bro. I was replying to another post before I saw yours. Great great thoughts

I hope you keep this enthusiasm whether you are picked or not. The Morgan Cup is about so much more than those that are selected, and it takes the entire community to Rock THP and the Sponsors for another one to occur the following year.

I completely agree War, and I don't think anybody here proves that better than you....Volunteered for the first one even though you were brand new around here, was disappointed and didn't make #2, but still volunteered and rocked it.....NOW....Captain of Team Albatross!

OG,
Let me first say I do not disagree with you necessarily. Let me tell you a story. One day I came up with this idea and went a different way with entries. It did not go so well in my opinion. With the event being so video intensive (meaning golf filmed and interviews throughout), Morgan and I felt as though we should make sure someone could stand in front of a camera before they arrived in the event. Now couple that with the idea that it is clear that so many want to be in this and frankly if we based it on "good" forum members, we would need hundreds of spots. We have thought about letting others choose, but that leaves so much open to popularity and bias. We have thought about basing it on activity, but that limits the growth. So last year we came up with an idea of eliminating ALL bias by having two ladies that have never been on THP and did not even know what a forum was, judge it. Took it a step further and broadcasted the judging LIVE right on the site.

Guess what? We got accused of bias again. So we brought the judges to the outing and they got to answer some questions and confirmed how it was done. Still got accused of some rotten things. So we took a step back and reevaluated the process and truly believe that all we can do is take bias out and let the chips fall where they may.

Are there better ways to pick people? Maybe. Should certain people be rewarded for their efforts on this forum? Perhaps. But where does a line get drawn? How do you choose who gets rewarded and who gets left out, when everybody tries their best? So in return we do forum testing for those that support THP with activity and even worked hard to bring events to them, so it was not always a take from the give and take.

OG, I think if you look through the videos last year and again when the participants are announced this year, you will see that what got people into this event was a message. Not fancy editing or anything else. Some were unique, some were not, but the message was there. It can be as little as someone looking into a camera and talking. I hope that when announcements are made this year, people see that it is not easy, because you feel as though you are letting countless people down, when we should be celebrating those that are about to go on this journey.

The irony here is that with the Invitationals coming and the outing in May, there is not a lot that is being missed, but I know people by nature and the disappointment when you put your heart into something and are not chosen is tough. I hope that everybody that does not get in, finds a way to celebrate those that are chosen, the event as a whole and considers the other THP events that are fantastic in their own right.

Unfortunately Josh, there is NOTHING you could do that would make everybody happy, there are always going to be those that are disappointed that they didn't get in, and there are always going to be some that cry foul when they don't get in......no way around that in my opinion. I think you and Morgan have come up with the best way possible for now, and if I know the both of you, I am sure the process will be tweaked and improved for next year too....because that's just what you guys do. I think you should be congratulated on what you have been able to acomplish in such a short amount of time!

I am so glad that I am neither responsible for coming up with the entry details of this event nor responsible for picking amongst the entrants. The videos are such a better entry method than the race the clock we played for the first event. I would only hope that given all the efforts toward transparency and efforts against any sniff of bias that everyone whether they are selected or not accept the decision of the selection committee and support the 32 contestants and 4 sponsors. I know I will.

Well said Donnie....there is no way I would want to be picking the lucky 18, but as you said...the entry process has gotten better each year and I assume it will next year as well.

Donnie, you are on fire tonight buddy!

Yep, the journey begins tomorrow evening and you know what? The butterflies are subsiding. (I can't tell you what I'll feel like tomorrow evening before the announcement though, hehe) I think I'm finally coming to grips with the fact that I might not get selected this week. And if not, that's fine. I'll feel a sense of disappointment, yes, but I still can't wait to meet all of the participants and volunteers down in MB next year. This one is going to be huge!

Good luck to you my friend and I can't wait to meet you either way!

Well said Freddie!

24 hours fellas. Going to be a long day for a few.

yep, it's gonna be like Christmas eve when you were a kid for the next 6 days around here!!

Good luck to everyone!! I can't wait to share the journey with you!

I think that you can be happy for other people. I don't think you have to be upset about not being chosen. As has been stated before - I think people will handle it differently. If you are here for life like alot if us are, then you can be truly happy for your friends who were picked. It really depends on why you are a member here. There is no right answer. All I can say is if I don't get picked I will feel exactly the same about all my friends here as if I do. If I don't, I'll be thrilled for those that are going to get to have the experience of a lifetime.

You know man, before I got to Myrtle for the Morgan Cup I had been on the forum for a while tried to be active and engage in conversation and stuff but I could never really gauge where I fit in, because it's so hard to measure that stuff on the internet. When I got to the course for the practice round on Thursday, Ary was there, Howzat, FrankA, and a ton of others, but it wasn't uncomfortable, it was cool because we had THP in common and conversation was easy it was like we had known each other for a while. The only thing we needed to catch up on was the personal stuff, where you from, what do you do, etc etc. The point I'm trying to make is that we weren't volunteers, we were members of the THP family, there was no bull****, drama, or funky stuff, it was cool as all get out and the whole group players and all just gelled. People hung after hours, ate, drank, shared truths and half truths, worked on swing thoughts, mechanics, shared tips, drills and so on man. It was freakin cool guys and no matter where you think you belong in it, you're right, you belong. Volunteer is just a word for being a friend in person and assuming some responsibility so that it goes off without a hitch, it's a team thing man and trust me it's the greatest team in golf.

That is because the volunteers were just as much a part of this event as the golfers. In the end, its the entire crew that makes the Ultimate Amateur Golf Event special and that includes every person that wants to be a part of it in Myrtle Beach. You rocked it!!!!!

Quoted and repped for awesomeness!!

Just catching up, thanks jb for the transparency and great post trout about how awesome the volunteer route really is

Trout Bum is one cool dude, and his commentary is perfect. He should work for the PGA

I don't think there's any way to avoid someone being unhappy. You can't even expect people to watch the winning videos and agree they were the best.

You're right man, you can't avoid disappointment, and feelings will probably get hurt. The only thing is that no one has to confuse disappointment with rejection, it's surely not personal, it's the luck of the draw and we should all be happy for the players that get picked no matter who they are and wether we agree with their posts or not, it's principles before personalities at THP and if you think about how fast this event has grown I wouldn't be suprised to see more and more events happening similar to the invitationals, tour van stops, and demo days. There's always an opportunity to get involved at any event.

You're right man, you can't avoid disappointment, and feelings will probably get hurt. The only thing is that no one has to confuse disappointment with rejection, it's surely not personal, it's the luck of the draw and we should all be happy for the players that get picked no matter who they are and wether we agree with their posts or not, it's principles before personalities at THP and if you think about how fast this event has grown I wouldn't be suprised to see more and more events happening similar to the invitationals, tour van stops, and demo days. There's always an opportunity to get involved at any event.

Dude, you are on fire tonight...I would rep you again if I could!

Man. You are making so marvelous posts tonight. Makes me feel all tingly on the inside. Rep added.

I will say that if I was not selected it will be disappointing, I'll probably annoyed for a few minutes but I will get over it. Its not like I am losing anything by entering, I did my best with the resources I had, its been a long journey for me so just getting my vids in was an accomplishment. It will be great for those that win!

Dude that is one true statement right there. Not being selected is not rejection, it doesn't mean you aren't a good forum member, and it doens't mean people here don't like you. I feel bad for JB and GG because they try to let people know as much as they can how hard the selection process is, but they still end up hurting people's feelings. This is a time I would nto want to be in JB or GG's shoes, I'm sure it hurts them as much as it does others

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back