JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
You are on the 18th hole and you miss the green to the right. You have a great round going and are hitting the ball rather well. You have a rather deep bunker directly in front of you, but a rather large green. The pin is tucked directly to the right side of the green by 3-4 paces, making your play incredibly short sided.

Off to the left, it slopes towards the front.
Off to the right, it slopes towards the back.
Past the pin, you are completely safe, but there is a ridge that will take you further away from the pin.

Describe how you play this shot.

FotoFlexer_Photo-M.jpg

You are on the 18th hole and you miss the green to the right. You have a great round going and are hitting the ball rather well. You have a rather deep bunker directly in front of you, but a rather large green. The pin is tucked directly to the right side of the green by 3-4 paces, making your play incredibly short sided.

Off to the left, it slopes towards the front.
Off to the right, it slopes towards the back.
Past the pin, you are completely safe, but there is a ridge that will take you further away from the pin.

Describe how you play this shot.

FotoFlexer_Photo-M.jpg

What is par and what shot am I on?

Open the face wide and try to land the ball on the fringe or front part of the green.

Try to play a lob directly at the flag just landing on the fringe and trickling towards the hole.

Doubtful I execute it correctly but it is likely how I would try and play it if I understand the question correctly.

ETA: last time I had this exact shot it was on a par 5 and I used my 58* J40 wedge. Lipped out eagle tap in birdie. The green did not have the slope described here but the general thinking of the shot was the same - carry bunker, trickle towards hole.

• Admin
Not enough information. What's my lie like?

• Admin
Not enough information. What's my lie like?

It is however it would normally be when you miss the green in that area of your local golf course.

Par 3 and you lie 1.

I would take my 56 degree, open it up and aim for the center of the green. Take a 2 putt par and be happy. I never try to be a hero on the course, it always backfires for me.

I'd take my lob wedge and try to flop it over the bunker, trying to land the ball on the fringe and let it trickle towards the hole. I also probably would pull this shot off about 1/10 times, if that.

I'm going to play a high shot landing it short of the green and letting it just hop on for a chance to save the par. Not always the smart play, but I'm not always the smartest player on the course either.

I would take my 56 degree, open it up and aim for the center of the green. Take a 2 putt par and be happy. I never try to be a hero on the course, it always backfires for me.

Check your math my friend. That would be a 2 putt bogey. You lie 1. Your 2nd shot to the middle of the green. 2 putts are 3 & 4.

Check your math my friend. That would be a 2 putt bogey. You lie 1. Your 2nd shot to the middle of the green. 2 putts are 3 & 4.

Hahah I suck. I read it as a par 4 for some reason. In that case, I do what others have said, open my wedge and aim for the fringe and hope for the best.

I'm right there with ya, hopefully my lag putt leaves me a respectable 2nd putt, take the bogey and run

I'm going to play a high shot landing it short of the green and letting it just hop on for a chance to save the par. Not always the smart play, but I'm not always the smartest player on the course either.

You are not the smartest off the course either, but we still love ya bro!!

I would try to get the ball on the green and accept the bogey if that was the result.

Assuming the ridge is steep enough on the near side to roll the ball back towards me, I'd try to play the flop, aiming for the near side of the ridge just beyond the hole. With any luck, it'll roll back close to the hole. If I overcook it and it rolls over the ridge, I still should 2-putt bogey.

I'd want to make sure I at least reach the green, even if it goes down the slope to the other side. If you leave it short you have an even tougher shot.

I would use my 58 and try to pitch it onto the fringe and let it roll out a little.

But I might try to get cute and end up chunking it into the sand trap!

I'd open the face and try to lob it short of the pin. Probably not the smartest move, but that's what I'd do 90% of the time or more.

Open up the club face and give it a little flop. Try to land it halfway between the bunker and the pin. Realistically, hoping to get it somewhere between 2 feet short-4 feet long.

I'd pull my 60*SCOR from the bag and hit a nice flop shot at the stick knowing if I'm a little short or long of the flag I'll still be in a nice position to hole my putt.

I'd hit a cut flop and hope it sticks. I wouldn't challengs the bunker too much. I'd be thrilled with keeping the ball on the same level as the flagstick. Sometimes a 15-20 foot par putt is all you can hope for.

Also, I hate par 3 finishing holes :alien:

Open the face wide and try to land the ball on the fringe or front part of the green.

exactly how I would play it. Just have to hope I get it going right at the flag so it doesnt roll to one of the sides. Either way, an uphill putt if I dont hole it out.

like others said, i'd probably try to land on the fringe in front of the hole. maybe hope if i miss i run past and stay on the green instead of off to the sides or in the bunker. hopefully don't blade it over the green.

Since I have a great round going and am confident, I take my 56 wedge open it up and flop it to the hole. The chances that I hole this for the bird are not great but par is definitely what I play for. This is a shot I practice and have pulled off. This shot requires the you be a golf first and a gambler second. No flop shot in your bag, play to the middle and go for a bogey.

My home course has a very tough par 3 18th hole surrounded by water and sand so I have played this shot a few times. The key is to stay within your game. On a windy day I often aim for the sand trap over the green and have made par from the sand.

So the ball is where the "X" is right? If so, I would radio in for an air attack on the green and :bomb: that sucker up! Hmmm I would try to hit a pitch to the front entrance of the green close enough to putt the ball from there. Take the large number out of the equation if possible.

Back