Winter Golf, Practice and Goals

War Eagle

the Beags of THP...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Rum
For most, Winter has set in. For others, it's approaching quickly. For some, what is winter?

For some, if there is no snow, Golf is played regardless of frigid temps (dont see how y'all do it), for others, the Winter is a time to practice and refine certain areas of their game.

I have seen a lot of people talk about indoor practice facilities and the like for Winter practice, as well as Winter Goals for their game and practice routines. Figured I would start a thread for people to talk about what they do with their game during the Winter months?

Down here, we have the benefit of playing year round golf, and actually this time of year the courses are absolutely packed with people down for Vacation and the like. This time of year the game for us is much different, the fairways are a bit harder and we actually get some roll out when hitting off the tee, the greens arent as receptive as what we are used to, so Winter golf can be a completely different game than we are used to.

All of our grasses are going dormant so it makes for some interesting shots. The rough isn't as penal and the greens tend to roll a titch quicker. I like winter golf, heck I like being able to play golf all winter. Great idea for a thread.

War Eagle: I am in a similar situation as you. Temps are cooler, fairways and greens are firmer. No more after work weekday golf, so just try to play on the weekends.

With the change in course conditions, you have to be cognizant and try to predict how the ball will react on the greens and play the appropriate shot. Much less carry & stick and more landing it shorter and letting it run up, etc. Cooler temps also require the need to be aware that the ball will not travel as far so club selection is as critical as ever.

In the past the only golf I would do in the winter would be going to warmer places to play. Last year was the exception, as the winter was not bad at all and I was able to play year round.

This year Im going to try out a few local heated ranges if its not too terribly bad. I also plan on spending some time with Golftec as well as pickup a birdieball putting green for the basement to work on the putting. And I figure Golftec should be able to give me some drills to work on indoors as well.

Man Id love a indoor range around here, there are quite a few in Ohio, but none down this way.

All of our grasses are going dormant so it makes for some interesting shots. The rough isn't as penal and the greens tend to roll a titch quicker. I like winter golf, heck I like being able to play golf all winter. Great idea for a thread.
I like it too, both playing in Winter and being able to play in the Winter. Playing with you a few weeks ago, it was nice to see our tee shots actually take a bounce forward when they landed, rather than plug like they do in the wet, summer months.

Well in Kansas City it's already really cold.. I used to not play in the cold, but this winter I am determined to play at least once a week.

The more Important thing for me will be practice. I have a driving range with a nice short game area just down the road from me. I plan on living there this winter working on my sand/short game

TapaTalk from the iPhone

I stagnate and wish for spring. Upside is that I'm raring to go come spring, downside is it's a month + into the season before I'm back to anything approaching good form.
Our official season ended in October. I've played a few scrambles on the weekends and a couple rounds due to an amazing streak of warm weather, but that's over. Currently -7C / 20F without the wind chill. If I bundle up enough to not freeze, I can't swing. I look like the Michelin Man out there.

A LOT of locals go south for part of the winter, which tells me I don't make enough money. That option being unavailable, I can go hit off mats in a dome, which might keep me limber if nothing else. But in general, I hang it up.

I have a heated range near me so I usually try to go once a week and work on something specific. I am going to focus for the first part of the winter on my wedge game. I have struggled alot from around 50-100 yards this year. Really need to focus on that. I always end every range session with at least 30 minutes of putting as well.

I haven't got my complete game plan together, but I'll be working on the swing over the winter with the same instructor I had last year.

My practice varies between indoors, heated ranges, and even the golf course if weather allows. I've been able to play outside every month since March 2011 and I have a dim hope that will happen again this year, though it's probably wishful thinking.

Other than that - putting indoors.

There was already 1/2" of snow when I left for work at 6am this morning. We expect 3-6" today. So my golf days are for the most part over for the winter.

I expect to take some GolfTec lessons and be able to practice at their indoor facility after the first of the year. There may be a couple of weekends of moderate temps, enough to play, but not too many.

The fairways and greens will be rock hard, so as others have said, you adjust what clubs you play and how you play. More indoor putting until you get bored out of your mind watching football and putting!!! At least the beers will help that!!

Then, the football season ends. Bored, bored, bored. Work on your clubs if you can. Feb, most of March (sometimes all) and into April before you can actually play a round.

One vacation in Feb or March to see friends in NC. Yea, I can take my clubs!!! Then, back to northern NJ.

I don't see how our 'to the north' friends do it. Oh yeah, they have hockey. Oops, not this year, yet. I guess those curling clubs will be full to overflowing!!! LOL.

I'm fortunate that my pro has a heated building for instruction (with doors that open to the range) so I'll be continuing lessons into the winter.

I'll play when it's moderately cold, but I doubt seriously I'm going out there when it's below 40.

I would love to have an indoor range somewhere local down here, but there isnt really a need for it. Unfortunately, most of the easy to get to Public Ranges all go to crap during the Winter months.

We still play golf in middle Georgia through the winter months although January/February can be nasty and not much fun. I will be working hard on a move, my golf pro taught me to help hit the ball more solid, consistent and with my old draw shot shape. It's a work in process so maybe I can get this ingrained for the 2013 golfing season!

I'm starting to think that South Dakota is a tropical oasis yet to be discovered. We're still enjoying some mild weather and while it gets cold at night and dark early we're still able to get out and play at least for a little while longer. That can all change with no notice though.

Instead of working to revamp my game in the winter months I just make sure I don't lose everything I've worked for all season long. I'll go to the indoor range once a week during the winter but the bulk of my time is spent on putting once the clubs are moved to the basement. Most of the time I'm not really changing much, but just continuing to work on my stroke. I get into a bad habit of tinkering and would often change my putting grip for no good reason at all, I don't do that anymore though. Just roll putts.

There was already 1/2" of snow when I left for work at 6am this morning. We expect 3-6" today. So my golf days are for the most part over for the winter.

I expect to take some GolfTec lessons and be able to practice at their indoor facility after the first of the year. There may be a couple of weekends of moderate temps, enough to play, but not too many.

The fairways and greens will be rock hard, so as others have said, you adjust what clubs you play and how you play. More indoor putting until you get bored out of your mind watching football and putting!!! At least the beers will help that!!

Then, the football season ends. Bored, bored, bored. Work on your clubs if you can. Feb, most of March (sometimes all) and into April before you can actually play a round.

One vacation in Feb or March to see friends in NC. Yea, I can take my clubs!!! Then, back to northern NJ.

I don't see how our 'to the north' friends do it. Oh yeah, they have hockey. Oops, not this year, yet. I guess those curling clubs will be full to overflowing!!! LOL.

Not sure how far you are from Wayne but the Willowbrook Golf Center is a heated range if you ever want to meet up let me know, I am 5 minutes from there.

The problem with heated ranges is that 1) the balls are still outside so they are freaking rocks and 2) if the wind is coming at you it's still freezing cold. Still, I make a trip or two a month during the winter. Closest one is about 90 minutes from here, so I usually wait until I'm desparate to see a golf ball fly.

I'm by the coast so we don't get as much snow (if any) as inland or up north but it's still too cold, too wet to play and most courses close anyways. Just indoors, using cameras, simulators, launch monitors to work on technique and mechanics.

The problem with heated ranges is that 1) the balls are still outside so they are freaking rocks and 2) if the wind is coming at you it's still freezing cold. Still, I make a trip or two a month during the winter. Closest one is about 90 minutes from here, so I usually wait until I'm desparate to see a golf ball fly.
This is true. Heated ranges (at least from my experience) are no bueno! I've left there many a time thinking my game stinks and I can't hit the ball in the air and far to save my life. Turns out it's just those dang heated ranges more than anything. But desperate times call for desperate measures and this is better than nothing certainly.

This is true. Heated ranges (at least from my experience) are no bueno! I've left there many a time thinking my game stinks and I can't hit the ball in the air and far to save my life. Turns out it's just those dang heated ranges more than anything. But desperate times call for desperate measures and this is better than nothing certainly.

No doubt. Some times you just have to do it!

No doubt. Some times you just have to do it!

Mostly the reason why I really try to focus on making good contact and getting my yardages down for the most part with my wedges. It's a waste to hit Driver or Woods expecting distance or anything but mechanics is always something I can improve on.

No heated ranges near me, and no indoor ranges either. I will play so long as there isn't any snow on the ground. I am the only one I know who does it, but, I have a stocking cap and can layer pretty well without needing a coat, so I do it. Beats sitting on my butt watching nothing on tv since I don't watch pro football or any basketball. Otherwise, snow on the ground, I might swing the club a little in my garage just so I keep the feeling of the movement in my mind. This year, I'm going to be doing my first round of P90X, so, as my ability to move changes, it will become even more important to keep the swing feeling in my head. Been thinking about going to Edwin Watts and getting some lessons in the off season, especially since they have an area indoor where I can practice, if I am a student over there.

Mostly the reason why I really try to focus on making good contact and getting my yardages down for the most part with my wedges. It's a waste to hit Driver or Woods expecting distance or anything but mechanics is always something I can improve on.

For sure. I don't really get wrapped up in distance on them. I spent most of my time last year working on drills more than anything.

I just don't play golf in the winter. Every year, I tell myself that I'll make the 4 hour roundtrip to the nearest indoor driving range once a month, just to keep my swing 'in shape' so to speak. By the time Thanksgiving rolls around, I realize that I could've been playing golf for probably 45 of the past 60 days, and then I lose motivation. I end up telling myself that winter is the time to let golf go, forget about all the things wrong with my swing, and take an extended break.

So my winter goals are, relax, focus on work, but stay in physical shape. I have made an effort to continue working with the medicine ball and doing some running through the winter.

~Rock

Not sure how far you are from Wayne but the Willowbrook Golf Center is a heated range if you ever want to meet up let me know, I am 5 minutes from there.

I haven't been to that Golf range in a looooong time. I moved from Oakland to Stockhom over 12 years ago. Haven't been down that way too much, except for Golfsmith on Rt.46.

Meeting down there sounds good to me! PM me.

Normally early winter is pretty mild here, so until late January were ok. But even then it's a situation where you watch the weather closely, if there seems to be a day when it's going to be in the 40's we make a break for the first tee. Other than that we have a heated range pretty close. So I tend to hit that a couple times a week. But even then it's mostly just wedge shots that i concentrate on. February is pretty much a down month for us. Putting stroke practice happens all year in the TV room.

Back