Are Belly Putters going to be banned?

My point is that using an anchored putter removes parts of the swing/stroke, therefore changing it. I for one do not think it is a swing/stroke if you have it anchored, it has now become a pendulum. And based on science one pivot point is much more reliable than having two.

I will never argue that it doesn't change the stroke. It does. But so what? That new changed stroke does not make those who use it better putters. If I could anchor my driver for more stability, I would.

It's not that I can't see the logic of banning anchored putters, I just don't think it holds much water.

When a professional golfer says that if they ban the use of anchoring the belly putter it will prevent him from playing professionally and he will have to find a new career, that pretty much is the tale of the tape isn't it? I don't remember who said it, but he was being interviewed on TGC. It obviously gives an advantage. Do you still have to be able to read the green for the line? Yes. Do you have to be able to accurately judge the speed? Yes. But anchoring takes one variable out of the equation and that is arm/wrist movement during the putting stroke. The difference is that if player A feels that strongly that player B has an advantage by using a belly putter, right now, he is able to enjoy that same advantage and all he has to do is run to his favorite golf shop and go buy one. If he chooses not to, then that is completely up to him. Personally, I don't like them and feel they should be banned for the pros. I don't care if Jim Bob wants to use a belly putter when we are playing a round together. And if we are playing for money (which I don't do because I suck) and I felt it gave him an unfair advantage, then I would either ask for strokes or say as long as you are using a belly putter, I won't put money on the game.

As far as the argument about changing drivers and why you would want to, that is simple. Maybe one day of the tourney the wind is blowing like a hurricane and you want to lower your ball flight trajectory and the next it is whisper quiet. Maybe the prevailing wind on that first day is primarily left to right for the course layout so you want to strengthen your draw, but on the calmer day you want to straighten the ball flight out. Maybe there is just something not right about your swing that you can't get right but you can make an adjustment to address the slice or hook that you are fighting. Am I good enough to tinker like that, NO. But is a pro or avid tourney golfer? Absolutely.

For me it's simple. It's about statistics. Are an abnormal amount of wins on TOUR using belly/long putters? Is it even trending that way? No. Therefore no sizable advantage, no matter what it does to "alter" the stroke. That's it.

For me it's simple. It's about statistics. Are an abnormal amount of wins on TOUR using belly/long putters? Is it even trending that way? No. Therefore no sizable advantage, no matter what it does to "alter" the stroke. That's it.

This. I have no interest in a belly putter but I don't understand the witch hunt. Why are they so evil when other things that have made the game easier ok? is consistency too much to ask?

When a professional golfer says that if they ban the use of anchoring the belly putter it will prevent him from playing professionally and he will have to find a new career, that pretty much is the tale of the tape isn't it? I don't remember who said it, but he was being interviewed on TGC. It obviously gives an advantage. Do you still have to be able to read the green for the line? Yes. Do you have to be able to accurately judge the speed? Yes. But anchoring takes one variable out of the equation and that is arm/wrist movement during the putting stroke. The difference is that if player A feels that strongly that player B has an advantage by using a belly putter, right now, he is able to enjoy that same advantage and all he has to do is run to his favorite golf shop and go buy one. If he chooses not to, then that is completely up to him. Personally, I don't like them and feel they should be banned for the pros. I don't care if Jim Bob wants to use a belly putter when we are playing a round together. And if we are playing for money (which I don't do because I suck) and I felt it gave him an unfair advantage, then I would either ask for strokes or say as long as you are using a belly putter, I won't put money on the game.

As far as the argument about changing drivers and why you would want to, that is simple. Maybe one day of the tourney the wind is blowing like a hurricane and you want to lower your ball flight trajectory and the next it is whisper quiet. Maybe the prevailing wind on that first day is primarily left to right for the course layout so you want to strengthen your draw, but on the calmer day you want to straighten the ball flight out. Maybe there is just something not right about your swing that you can't get right but you can make an adjustment to address the slice or hook that you are fighting. Am I good enough to tinker like that, NO. But is a pro or avid tourney golfer? Absolutely.

Sorry, I just don't buy the first part as a valid argument. Maybe that person said that because he's used a long putter for 20 years or so. Just like so many have used oversize drivers and cavity back irons for decades. If you asked people to roll either of those things back I imagine there'd be a pretty large group who'd push back or struggle. That argument simplifies the issue and makes it sound like the guys using them are lacking skills in some way. Rather, they've developed skills based upon the rules they were given and now they'll be punished for it. Fitting and advances in forgiveness has done more to allow the less skilled players hang on than the putter. But those things don't look funny.

Sorry, I just don't buy the first part as a valid argument. Maybe that person said that because he's used a long putter for 20 years or so. Just like so many have used oversize drivers and cavity back irons for decades. If you asked people to roll either of those things back I imagine there'd be a pretty large group who'd push back or struggle. That argument simplifies the issue and makes it sound like the guys using them are lacking skills in some way. Rather, they've developed skills based upon the rules they were given and now they'll be punished for it. Fitting and advances in forgiveness has done more to allow the less skilled players hang on than the putter. But those things don't look funny.

Whoever it was, they said he had only been using it for a couple of years and using the belly putter has allowed him to conquer the yips and he got to where he couldn't putt worth a darn with a regular putter. Like I said, I'm not a fan, but it's available to any player who wants to use it so the field is equal. Not like their regulating who can and can't use it giving one player an edge that is not available to another. If they make it illegal, you won't see me complaining about it either though.

Whoever it was, they said he had only been using it for a couple of years and using the belly putter has allowed him to conquer the yips and he got to where he couldn't putt worth a darn with a regular putter. Like I said, I'm not a fan, but it's available to any player who wants to use it so the field is equal. Not like their regulating who can and can't use it giving one player an edge that is not available to another. If they make it illegal, you won't see me complaining about it either though.

No better way to word it.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I haven't seen or read anything like that. Even Pettersson, who has used one for years, including his time as an amateur, and has indicated he'd consider legal action, has said he wouldn't quit and would find a way to adapt if he had to. That doesn't make it right though. If it was fine three years ago, I don't see how it's not fine today.

Soooooo these belly putter things are supposed to help you putt better :bulgy-eyes:. So anchoring them takes the hands out of the equation huh? I still hold on to my putter with my hands and trust me, you can still rotate a belly putter face anchored or not. Somebody please tell my belly putter in my signature this ^^^^^^. I've had mine quite some time now and it's suppose to eradicate 3 putts, lower my scores, and make me more consistent on the greens. Please tell er now! :blob:

Exactly. That was exactly my thinking

I hope they get banned, I consider them a "cheater stick"

I could see anchoring being banned, but long putters are here to stay

Just saw this from David Dusek on Twitter:

R&A just emailed info for a joint teleconference for Wed. w/USGA. Look for a rule change regarding anchored putters to be announced.

R&A just emailed info for a joint teleconference for Wed. w/USGA. Look for a rule change regarding anchored putters to be announced.
Wow. Wonder what this rule change will be?

If they ban them - eff those guys.

Wow, really didnt think it would happen. Still hoping it doesnt, and i dont use them.

Many golfers including myself will be awaiting this much anticipated announcement.

Many golfers including myself will be awaiting this much anticipated announcement.

I'll be interested to see how the golf companies (and shareholders) react. Not that this is unexpected, but they were a real money maker over the last 24 months when it seemed like the OEMs couldnt make them fast enough.

I think its key that even the conference announcement says "anchored" putter instead of "long" putter. To me that says that the rulling will not ban putters by length but will dictate if/how putters can touch your body. I've heard rumors that the ruling will limit to "two contact points".

I think its key that even the conference announcement says "anchored" putter instead of "long" putter. To me that says that the rulling will not ban putters by length but will dictate if/how putters can touch your body. I've heard rumors that the ruling will limit to "two contact points".
Great, so then we will have people staring down every Golfer when they putt with a long putter to double check that there was no second point of contact.

"Sorry Mr. Bradley, while you score shows you win, apparently on the 11th Green the butt end of your putter brushed up against your shirt and you will now have to take a 1 stroke penalty."

Teleconference starts at 8:30 EST tomorrow and can be seen on the Golf Channel during Morning Drive.

Heck I banned mine yesterday as the sucker was not doing right! I might ban it again next week too, if it don't get off its arse and start making more putts :deadhorse:

This is sad. I really hope they don't ban them. Would hurt the game IMO.

I have 4 standing around. What to do with them now?

Great, so then we will have people staring down every Golfer when they putt with a long putter to double check that there was no second point of contact.

"Sorry Mr. Bradley, while you score shows you win, apparently on the 11th Green the butt end of your putter brushed up against your shirt and you will now have to take a 1 stroke penalty."

Exactly!! If this is the ruling that would affect even the guys that put the shaft againsit their arm like Kuchar

Back