The Anchoring Ban

How does he anchor, belly or like Petterson/Scott/Clark?

Goes back and forth between Standup long like Scott and anchor like Els. Most of the time standup.

Things are so much more fun when I agree with JB. Hahahah.

The fact is, an anchored putter makes the game easier for many golfers. The game is already really hard. To take away some that helps some, cannot help the enjoyment of the amateurs.

If a single amateur leaves the game because of this rule, then the USGA has failed their mission.

Things are so much more fun when I agree with JB. Hahahah.

The fact is, an anchored putter makes the game easier for many golfers. The game is already really hard. To take away some that helps some, cannot help the enjoyment of the amateurs.

If a single amateur leaves the game because of this rule, then the USGA has failed their mission.

Blu,
The truth is I am not hugely in defense of anchoring or against anchoring. I think both sides have some ideas and even some merit. What I am entirely for is the same thing I have said about many topics in relation to this. There is absolutely no reason that the top .1% of golfers should be the deciding factor on the rules for the entire golfing world and yet the USGA has repeatedly made their decisions based on this.

I know boss. You and I agree on the PGA Tour using the USGA to do it's dirty work.

When the PGA (the group in charge of running golf courses and teaching the game) has an issue with a rule change, then there needs to be some serious thought into the rule change.

Blu,
The truth is I am not hugely in defense of anchoring or against anchoring. I think both sides have some ideas and even some merit. What I am entirely for is the same thing I have said about many topics in relation to this. There is absolutely no reason that the top .1% of golfers should be the deciding factor on the rules for the entire golfing world and yet the USGA has repeatedly made their decisions based on this.

They should just bifurcate and be done with it. Use whatever you want in regular tournament play. USGA and professional events, adhere to their rules. Problem solved.

I think that is a load of BS from the USGA.

They allowed for over 2 decades until a) someone actually won something with it and b) Tiger complained about it.

They caved to Tiger. Plain and simple. The stroke hasn't changed since it was introduced 20 years ago.

Maybe they think we should all go back to persimmon woods and gutta-percha balls too.

How do you make this about Tiger?

They should just bifurcate and be done with it. Use whatever you want in regular tournament play. USGA and professional events, adhere to their rules. Problem solved.

I agree mw. It makes everything far more simple.

There is absolutely no reason that the top .1% of golfers should be the deciding factor on the rules for the entire golfing world and yet the USGA has repeatedly made their decisions based on this.

I total agree with you on this... I feel the same way about the long putter as i felt when the rules on how groove are to conform was introduced.... I don't use a long/belly putter but I believe if it help the average joe putter better then I say it should stay... after all IMO aren't the average joe's what keep the game moving

How do you make this about Tiger?

I don't recall any one else on the tour complaining about the long putter. Most of the other major players were willing to live and let live. But he complains about it after some guys win majors with it and the PGA and USGA caves in to their rain maker and bans the putter.

Seriously, if the USGA is so serious about protecting the game and maintaining tradition, why are oversize clubs, distance balls and all of the other improvements still allowed?

If I'm wrong about that, I apologize, but that's my perception of the situation.

I really think this is a tempest in a teapot in the long run. In the end, there are many more people that play on public courses than the others that will be affected by this decision and they will still use the long and belly putters, just as non-conforming balls are still being sold.

Tiger didn't complain. Someone asked him his thoughts and he answered the question. Good lord.

Why? Who is he hurting by anchoring a putter because of an injury? Now in his 70s, he has to relearn the game? Because someone decided that it was not to be with ZERO evidence that it is any benefit at all?

He will quit the game before that happens. His choice and I respect that. You said "If someone does stop, he was never really a golfer to begin with".

I say that is flat out wrong. Never a real golfer? He lives on the golf course, in a wonderful resort community called Hammock Beach, but at his age, he has no desire to relearn the game. Therefore he will hang it up and enjoy his other hobbies.

The idea that people can still use a long putter but not anchoring it is ridiculous frankly and everybody that has ever used one would agree with that. This was a bypass way to get it out of the hands of golfers and not have to deal with the backlash from the equipment industry. This previous lack of a rule hurt NOBODY and until there is a single stat that says otherwise, the "powers that be" are once again doing something to hurt the growth rather than assist it.

If the goal of an organization is the GROW, then anybody explain in any way whatsoever how this rule is in place to grow the game and not cause confusion? Its a fabrication to say that by them and all it does is cause confusion.

JB, An injury is NO excuse. Sorry but I am not the one to say that to.. I have one arm. There are NO rules in the USGA rule book that I can (or would) use to assist me. If I win, I do so with legal clubs balls ect. Let me tell you about a PGA "pro's" and rules.. About 15 years ago I found a golf glove I thought would help me in wet or humid weather. (A problem I have is the club slipping in those conditions.) It's called a power glove. They are made for arthritic hands (which I have) but called a training glove. I bought one and tried it. It worked great. I could swing in any weather without squeezing the club which we all know makes balls go left. (for a righty) My local "pro" at the time saw the glove and said I couldn't use it. It was deemed to give me, (now get this....) an "unfair advantage".

I think the rule is BS BUT, I accept it and follow the rules as written. I've had to make changes to keep playing. Quitting, as so many of you are saying people will do, is NOT an option. If someone does quit because of the rule change, they shouldn't be on the course in the first place.

I am lucky enough to winter in Florida. I am the "baby" here. (only 59) Many guys I get to golf with are in the late 80's with many more ailments than a bad back. It is obviously a hot topic here. I have yet to hear someone say the would quit..

JMHO

JB, An injury is NO excuse. Sorry but I am not the one to say that to.. I have one arm. There are NO rules in the USGA rule book that I can (or would) use to assist me. If I win, I do so with legal clubs balls ect. Let me tell you about a PGA "pro's" and rules.. About 15 years ago I found a golf glove I thought would help me in wet or humid weather. (A problem I have is the club slipping in those conditions.) It's called a power glove. They are made for arthritic hands (which I have) but called a training glove. I bought one and tried it. It worked great. I could swing in any weather without squeezing the club which we all know makes balls go left. (for a righty) My local "pro" at the time saw the glove and said I couldn't use it. It was deemed to give me, (now get this....) an "unfair advantage".

I think the rule is BS BUT, I accept it and follow the rules as written. I've had to make changes to keep playing. Quitting, as so many of you are saying people will do, is NOT an option. If someone does quit because of the rule change, they shouldn't be on the course in the first place.

I am lucky enough to winter in Florida. I am the "baby" here. (only 59) Many guys I get to golf with are in the late 80's with many more ailments than a bad back. It is obviously a hot topic here. I have yet to hear someone say the would quit..

JMHO

As I said, I am not arguing or debating that it is a rule and people live with it. You said nobody would quit and if they do, they werent real golfers anyway. I gave you an example that showed how false that is. There are plenty of people out there that do not want the game tougher for them. That do not want to have to relearn something they have used for 15 or so years just to be able to keep playing in their MGA.

It shouldn't matter though. There is absolutely NO rhyme or reason why the .1% of golfers in the world are the reason rules are made for the millions that play when rules can easily be separate like they are in just about every other professional sport. The idea is to grow the game of golf. Making a rule that one will need flash cards for to understand when they are new to it makes absolutely no sense and is without a doubt a reason that someone new to the game would walk away.

Well, I guess time will tell if someone will quit golfing. Right now, emotions are high and people are saying all kinds of stuff. You will like this.... Being new to this area, I had to find a place for a hair cut. I walked into a local barber shop yesterday morning. First thing
I noticed there were a ton of used golf clubs. (and 6 barbers). t the same time a saw a LONG putter sticking out of a bag, I saw a guy that plays in our Weds league. I jokingly said to him, "these things are gone in 3 years". One of the barbers freaked.. He is one that anchors and was livid about the rule change. (said he had a bad back) We "bantered" back in forth for about 10 minutes After he calmed down, he walked up to me, shook my hand and said I wasn't upset about the conversation.

I politely told him not at all,, BUT, I will never let him near me with a pair of scissors or a razor! All the other barbers and customers broke out laughing!!:drinks:

When I started playing, I read the rules and golf etiquette. I don't see that they changed anything just started enforcing the rule. I think the anchored putter is cheating, agree with Ernie Els.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/usgas-davis-open-to-enacting-rule-sooner/

A day after proposing one of the most significant rules changes in the game’s history, U.S. Golf Association executive director Mike Davis said on Golf Channel’sMorning Drive that the general reaction has been “very positive,” and that “the more people learn about it, even if they disagree, are saying, ‘OK, I understand it and I accept it.’”

Well, not everyone.

On Wednesday, Golf Channel analyst Brandel Chamblee made an impassioned plea for the governing bodies to consider bifurcation, or a separate set of rules of touring pros and amateurs.

Davis, however, said Thursday that even during this unprecedented 90-day comment window, they are unlikely to adopt two sets of rules.
“To bifurcate something this fundamental is illogical,” Davis said. “One of the great things about golf is that we all play by the same set of rules. If we start to bifurcate we’re going to quickly have a situation where it’s really chaotic.
“We are steadfast in our belief that one set of rules is one of our guiding principles. And we believe that this is absolutely, long-term, in the bad interest of the game, and we are not prepared to go in that direction at all.”

Another point of contention, particularly among tour pros: Why wait three more years to implement the change? Sure, the Rules of Golf is published every four years, meaning this new rule (14-1b) would be effective Jan. 1, 2016, but how will those players who win with an anchored putter now be perceived?

PGA Tour player Steve Flesch was among the most vocal, writing on Twitter, “Enough with the 90 days and actual rule change in 3 yrs. USGA just needs to implement the rule and move on. … What the hell was the rush to announce the anchoring ban when it doesn’t matter for 3 yrs? Show some guts and make it effective 1 yr from now.”

Davis told Golf Channel that, indeed, the rule could be enacted sooner if there is enough support to make the change. “This is an example of give us comments, give us feedback (in the 90-day window before the rule is finalized),” he said. “It would be unusual to make that change then, but if the R&A and USGA feel it’s in the best interest to deviate from that, we’d certainly talk about that.”

When I started playing, I read the rules and golf etiquette. I don't see that they changed anything just started enforcing the rule. I think the anchored putter is cheating, agree with Ernie Els.

What rule was in place before about anchoring?

The Golf Channel is obviously against the rule change. They, like other sports talk shows, are trying to force the USGA by one sided poling to change the rules the way they want. Honestly, it makes me sick.

The Golf Channel is obviously against the rule change. They, like other sports talk shows, are trying to force the USGA by one sided poling to change the rules the way they want. Honestly, it makes me sick.

Isnt that the same thing the USGA did? They had no stats. They did no polling. They just went with what they wanted.

Yea, I think one-sided poling is why we are talking about this right now.

Reckon they let this get out of control before they decided they should have done something years ago. Bad management on that one.

Isnt that the same thing the USGA did? They had no stats. They did no polling. They just went with what they wanted.

The USGA is responsible for the rules. Golf Channel is trying to force rule changes for their personal agenda.... JB, A pleasure doing "verbal judo" with you. I hope you know I respect your opinion. I just feel different!

I am off to the course for 18! Back here to see what kind of a butt whipping I'm taking later!! ;-)

:drinks:

The USGA is responsible for the rules. Golf Channel is trying to force rule changes for their personal agenda.... JB, A pleasure doing "verbal judo" with you. I hope you know I respect your opinion. I just feel different!

I am off to the course for 18! Back here to see what kind of a butt whipping I'm taking later!! ;-)

:drinks:

Of course. What personal agenda? How do they have a stake in the game?
They believe the same that millions of others believe, that there is no reason to complicate the rules further than they already are.

Honestly when I was watching their special the day of the announcement it almost felt like they were looking out for the rest of us recreational golfers, which I appreciated!

Just got off the course. One of the gents (in his late 70's) in my foursome used a long putter with out anchoring it. He said he was going to try and did very well. I was very impressed..

Back