How long would it take?

CharlieMoy

Reaction score
Handicap
Dice
Does anyone sit and watch golf, and wonder what it would take for you to be out there?

Honestly, with the right fitness and training regiment, I think I could be on the web.com in 12-18 mos. It would obviously be impossible to drop everything and go, but I wish I could spend that time because Ill never get it back.

Does anyone sit and watch golf, and wonder what it would take for you to be out there?

Honestly, with the right fitness and training regiment, I think I could be on the web.com in 12-18 mos. It would obviously be impossible to drop everything and go, but I wish I could spend that time because Ill never get it back.

Years for me. If I practiced 10 hours a day for 3-5 years then maybe it's something I could envision.

I am thinking it would take longer than that Thainer and that's no knock on your skills at all!

I have actually wondered this as well. There is a dude doing a blog where he dropped everything and hoped to make it pro in 5 yrs... I am drawing a blank on his name though right now...

There are so many great players out there that don't make the tour. Money, travel, mental game and stress are a few things that people dont' think about that goes into making it even on the mini tour. I've had friends try and make it and a few have but they didn't last. You have to have "it" and most people don't.

Here. It's called the Dan Plan.

Here is his thoughts on what it takes to be pro:
On April 5th, 2010, Dan quit his day job as a commercial photographer and began The Dan Plan. Logging in 30-plus hours a week he will hit the 10,000 hour milestone by October of 2016. During this time, Dan plans to develop his skills through deliberate practice, eventually winning amateur events and obtaining his PGA Tour card through a successful appearance in the PGA Tour’s Qualifying School, or “Q-School”.
THE THEORY
Talent has little to do with success. According to research conducted by Dr. K. Anders Ericsson, Professor of Psychology at Florida State University, “Elite performers engage in ‘deliberate practice’–an effortful activity designed to improve target performance.” Dr. Ericsson's studies, made popular through Malcolm Gladwell's book Outliers and Geoff Colvin's Talent is Overrated, have found that in order to excel in a field, roughly 10,000 hours of "stretching yourself beyond what you can currently do" is required. "I think you're the right astronaut for this mission," Dr. Ericsson said about The Dan Plan.
Here is his site. It is actually pretty interesting http://www.thedanplan.com/

Read "Paper Tiger" by Tom Coyne if you envision yourself making a living playing golf. Fitness and practice aside, many of the pro's out there making a living playing golf, have a mental gear that the rest of us will never experience in our lifetime.

There are so many great players out there that don't make the tour. Money, travel, mental game and stress are a few things that people dont' think about that goes into making it even on the mini tour. I've had friends try and make it and a few have but they didn't last. You have to have "it" and most people don't.

I agree. I know a guy I played with in HS. He was a really good college player and has played in the Quail Hollow Tourny each of the last 3 years. Talking to him, he talks about how difficult it is to break through even on the mini tours. It's part of that journey that I think gets overlooked by many.

I don't think people realize how hard it is to make it on tour, even at the web.com level. Shooting low scores is just a fraction of what it requires. It takes a special breed to play at that level.

I've thought about it and done some reasearch into the business end behind it (i.e. raising funds and gathering sponsors) and I think it would take me about 3 years and about $300k to get onto the web.com tour... Unfortunately, I'm not in the position right now to chase that dream.

Studies have shown that to become a professional at any sport it takes 10,000 hours of training to reach the level required

I don't. Once I played my first round of golf in high school, any delusions I had of going pro were quickly extinguished.

I don't think people realize how hard it is to make it on tour, even at the web.com level. Shooting low scores is just a fraction of what it requires. It takes a special breed to play at that level.

yup. Which is why I said I would need 10 hours of practice for 2-3 before I could even start dreaming

I've thought about it and done some reasearch into the business end behind it (i.e. raising funds and gathering sponsors) and I think it would take me about 3 years and about $300k to get onto the web.com tour... Unfortunately, I'm not in the position right now to chase that dream.
Not many of us are! Ha! Has anyone gone out and watched the guys on the Web.com tour? Wow! All of them are straight up ballers and are 1 paycheck, 1 sponsor, 1 fix in their golf game, 1 mental game adjustment away from going big time. Those guys can all hit it 300+, and putt like nothing else. It is fun to watch them play.

There's not enough time for me to reach that level.

I can't believe Dan is at a 5 handi right now! That is nuts.

Here's another thing to think about when trying to make the mini-tour. There are guys I've played with that can hit it 300+ and shoot even par on any given day without trying much. But you put those same guys in a tournament situation with other guys their level and they fall to pieces. It is the darndest thing to witness.

That Dan Plan started at 30 with no experience.

Yeah I know... The point was the theory behind it with the amount of time it takes to master something.

For me, it would take infinity. Wish I started when I was a kid. The Dan Plan is interesting. He's taking the whole concept from Gladwell's book that you can master anything that you do for 10,000 hours. The guy spent an entire week practicing 4 foot putts 8 hours a day. He went from a total beginner to a single digit handicapper in around 3,000 hours I believe. It's an interesting experiment.

Back to me though, if I dropped everything and practiced golf as my job, I think it would take me 2 years to become something like club champion, or runner up.

Forever and 1 day, any longer and I would give up.

My brother-in-law caddied for Scott Pinckney this past week on his quest through Qschool in Palm Springs. He had a rough time of it and didn't make it. Has been great listening to my BIL talk about his outings with Scott and Rory with also meeting Ernie and drinking from the cup (still haven't got pictures of that so it didn't happen yet..lol). Scott finally was able to come back from across the Pond and can now play in the states tourny's, which is good.

After hearing, not only all the time, but investment capital needed to get yourself there...just wow.

My brother-in-law in the background left:
Spoiler
IMAG0354.jpg

My Brother-in-law on the left:
Spoiler
IMAG0353.jpg

Would love to read about the adventures of one of our own's quest for the cup. Go get 'em, my time has passed by along with the talent.

dude I just watched a couple videos.. This dude is awesome

yeah dude, when I stumbled upon it, I browsed through it all for a good hour. It was a very interesting concept. I wish I had the balls to do something like that.

You might get the physical abilities to be out there in a couple years, but at that level it's all about the mental game. That's something you either have or you don't. It's a very lonely place in between the ropes and you're with your own worst enemy the entire time.

Back