Miyazaki B. Asha Review - Forum Testing

Orange Amp plus Asha 5s - oh my!

4D65ABBF-8CF5-4F94-B6B6-5DAC5951429D-10406-00000522BCE8C94F.jpg

Pretty awesome looking set up cookie.

Thanks, it looks good and it's really really good as well. I have not hit a set up this good in awhile.

I LOVE that orange Amp driver head!

Thanks, it looks good and it's really really good as well. I have not hit a set up this good in awhile.

Glad you like it dude. That combo looks sick.

I think that's actually a Proforce VTS in Webb's club. He's been using it for a couple year and it looks very similar to the B.Asha

I really need to stop reading this thread, especially because I'm not going to be playing an actual round of golf for a while, yet I still want to test out the B. Asha at some point vs my Tour AD DI-6.

JB, I see that you have the 5S listed in your sig, but you're testing out the 4S today. When you have some time, can you report back on which one of the B. Asha shafts feels closer to the Kusala Blue 61 that you have played in the past? I'll admit that I like the slightly tighter feel of the DI-6 stiff as compared to the Kusala Blue 61 and that the 5S flex code is closer to the DI-6 flex code, but I'm a little concerned that the 5S may be a low launcher.

I think that's actually a Proforce VTS in Webb's club. He's been using it for a couple year and it looks very similar to the B.Asha

I really think its the Asha. That looks like the samurai graphics, plus even the Tour Issue VTS's are a different solid color near the grip compared to the head. My VTS's are red at the handle and white at the head, there are also some that are silver at the handle and black at the head.

Who knows though. I'm sure we'll here for sure eventually.

Cookie had him some B. Asha today!!! You might be surprised with the results......

James, is that the limited edition Amp? Very noice, can't wait to hear your feedback.

I am not convinced that is a B.Asha. Really looks like a VTS to me personally.

I am not convinced that is a B.Asha. Really looks like a VTS to me personally.

The only paint schemes I've ever seen on the VTS's are these:

$T2eC16VHJGoE9nuQfevtBQOO3g36sQ~~60_35.JPG

$T2eC16hHJHwE9n8ikMw8BQv-rECtJw~~60_12.JPG

I really think its the Asha. That looks like the samurai graphics, plus even the Tour Issue VTS's are a different solid color near the grip compared to the head. My VTS's are red at the handle and white at the head, there are also some that are silver at the handle and black at the head.

Who knows though. I'm sure we'll here for sure eventually.

A better picture for all.
2013-Hyundai-_2D00_-12_zpsd72debb2.jpg

A better picture for all.
2013-Hyundai-_2D00_-12_zpsd72debb2.jpg

Um, ok. The bottom right is undoubtedly the VTS, I have two sitting here. The pic up earlier (below) is not that shaft. Notice NO red at the grip section, the VTS has the red all the way around. May not be an Asha though. Ah, who the heck knows. LOL

IMG_00000017_zpsf853110a.jpg

Testing: Range Session #6

Driver/Shaft Combo: Miyazaki B. Asha 4S in R11S 10.5*, neutral, 10 g's in the heel/ 1 g in the toe
Ball: Typical Range Balls
Weather: Low-mid 30’s, mostly sunny, 5-10 mph wind blowing left to right

Overview:
I took both the B. Asha 4S and the RIP Phenom to the range today to do a little experiment. This is the first time I’ve swung a club in 2 1/2 weeks due to the holidays and weather. I recently bought an app called Coach’s Eye for my phone. I wanted to look at my swing this offseason so I know what I need to work on. Well I also thought that I could try to capture swings with the B. Asha and RIP and see if I could find any differences in how the shafts react. I’ve stated many times in my previous reviews that the B. Asha 4S blows away the RIP Phenom in every category. The B. Asha is straighter, longer, feels better and I’m much more consistent with the B. Asha than the RIP.

I took about 10 swings with each shaft, taping each one with Coach’s Eye. I then took the best swing with each shaft and compared the 2 shafts. First what I did was edit each video so it was slow motion, frame by frame. This allows you guys to see what the shaft is doing and not critique my swing too much
:D. Then I took 6 still frames starting with the top of my back swing to right before impact. These pictures I gave a little analysis about what was going on with the shafts in the picture. In each set of pictures, the B. Asha is first, the RIP is second. For those unaware of the shaft, the B. Asha is the cream colored shaft, the RIP is the black shaft.

Miyazaki B. Asha 4S Slow Motion Swing Video:

RIP Phenom Slow Motion Swing Video:

1) Top of backswing. Looks like I took a slightly bigger backswing with the RIP but marginal.
Spoiler
SwingwithBAsha1_zps659e3d87.jpg
SwingwithRIPPhenom1_zpsd1709b5d.jpg

2) Initial move on downswing. The B. Asha begins to flex slightly at the tip. The lower 3rd of the shaft is starting to load up. The RIP doesn’t show any load on the initial move in my downswing.
Spoiler
SwingwithBAsha2_zps608c032a.jpg
SwingwithRIPPhenom2_zps03df8a94.jpg

3) Next move of the downswing. This is a good comparison of the 2 shafts as they are in nearly identical positions. The lower half of the B. Asha has loaded as seen by the shaft flex. The RIP is starting to load up. The lower half of the shaft is flexed slightly. When comparing the 2 shafts at this point the B. Asha does seem to have loaded more than the RIP.
Spoiler

SwingwithBAsha3_zps53d0bd2d.jpg

SwingwithRIPPhenom3_zps0912f984.jpg

4) This part of the backswing I’m dropping the club into the slot. While the 2 pictures are at slightly different points they can still both be compared. The B. Asha does show some flex while it appears the RIP is pretty straight at this point.
Spoiler

SwingwithBAsha4_zps8f985454.jpg
SwingwithRIPPhenom4_zps235ea847.jpg

5) Next part of the downswing. Kind of tough to see what the shafts are doing here.
Spoiler

SwingwithBAsha5_zps849fa631.jpg
SwingwithRIPPhenom5_zps950d602b.jpg

6) Last part of downswing. Hands are in similar spot but B. Asha has hands still pointing slightly up. B. Asha has a lot of flex in this picture. Flex is easy to see in the middle of the shaft because of the cream color. The RIP is tougher to see how the shaft is reacting due to the black color. While the hands are in slightly different positions when looking at the clubhead, it does appear there is more flex in the B. Asha. The clubhead is pretty even with my hands with the shaft arching up in the middle. The clubhead is below my hands with the RIP and doesn't appear to flex as much.
Spoiler

SwingwithBAsha6_zps56412793.jpg
SwingwithRIPPhenom6_zpsb5dc1827.jpg

Here’s all 6 pictures of the B. Asha 4S sequence:
Spoiler

SwingwithBAsha1_zps659e3d87.jpg
SwingwithBAsha2_zps608c032a.jpg
SwingwithBAsha3_zps53d0bd2d.jpg
SwingwithBAsha4_zps8f985454.jpg
SwingwithBAsha5_zps849fa631.jpg
SwingwithBAsha6_zps56412793.jpg

Here’s all 6 pictures of the RIP Phenom sequence:
Spoiler

SwingwithRIPPhenom1_zpsd1709b5d.jpg
SwingwithRIPPhenom2_zps03df8a94.jpg
SwingwithRIPPhenom3_zps0912f984.jpg
SwingwithRIPPhenom4_zps235ea847.jpg
SwingwithRIPPhenom5_zps950d602b.jpg
SwingwithRIPPhenom6_zpsb5dc1827.jpg

Summary:
So anyways, it's a little different review and I hope you guys found it helpful. I wasn't sure how this review would turn out but I wanted to give everyone some visuals of this shaft in action. It's tough to capture exactly how the shaft is reacting at all times unless you have some high tech equipment but overall I think the pictures came out well. I know a lot of us have talked about how the B. Asha loads and feels and I wanted to give THP some visuals of how this shaft compares to a stock shaft. Overall, I will say this shaft does have more load than the RIP and I can feel it in my swing. It starts loading up immediately upon first move of my downswing and I can feel it kick through impact. The RIP feels a little more boardy and does not have as much load and flex as the B. Asha. I think the RIP not loading up as much is part of the reason why I was seeing a lot of shots leak to the right with the RIP at the range while the B. Asha was consistently much straighter. I'd say the RIP was drifting off about 10-15 yards right of where the B. Asha was landing. I'd be real interested to see how the shaft reacts in the summer when it's not 30* and I can swing a little more freely. Thanks and feel free to ask any questions.

Here's a picture I took of the range. Guess I know why there was only me and one other guy here even though the range has heaters...:snowman:

Rangepic_zps4beacf6e.jpg

Previous Reviews:

Last edited:
The only paint schemes I've ever seen on the VTS's are these:

$T2eC16VHJGoE9nuQfevtBQOO3g36sQ~~60_35.JPG

$T2eC16hHJHwE9n8ikMw8BQv-rECtJw~~60_12.JPG

The VTS tour spx I had didn't look like either of those, but it didn't look like his in the picture either. So I have no idea. Haha

Yesterday, I was able to steal Nate's B. Asha 5s and put it into my Cobra Amp 9.5* head. Below is a pic I posted yesterday from the course.

After warming up with an 8 iron, I started hitting driver. It was looking pretty good from the get go and I was immediately comfortable with what I was seeing. On the range, I was seeing a dead straight mid launch flight. Being that I don't play the Amp regularly nor this shaft, I can't discern what attributes go with each but I was describing what I was seeing to Nate as "stable, consistent, and forgiving". Even what felt like a few poor toe shots were still finding what would be the fairway with not much distance loss.

I was coming off of one of my worst driving days ever on Saturday so was really focused on just keeping the ball in play. The course we were playing has some pretty narrow fairways but I hit the first 3 without issue and with some respectable distance. I then started to see some snap hooks/pulls that also plagued me on Saturday. This is obviously a swing flaw as I am seeing it across multiple drivers so I don't want to dwell on that.

I dare say that I was hitting some of the longer tee shots that I have in awhile and not once did I lose a drive to the right. I am definitely looking forward to spending more time with this shaft, I can finally see what everyone is raving about.

On a side note - JB you have my address, feel free to ship one of these out! :alien2:

4D65ABBF-8CF5-4F94-B6B6-5DAC5951429D-10406-00000522BCE8C94F.jpg

Great info Stan!

Cookie you've got me wanting to hit one of these shafts so bad right now!

I am really sorry I didn't get in here to give some thoughts about my experience with this shaft, but it is time.

When I was home over Christmas break I had bugged Nate about trying out the B. Asha and he was more than happy to let me try it out. I got to the course and met Cookie and started warming up with my Amp with the stock shaft. With the stock shaft my miss is a pretty good slice. I actually quite like the RIP shaft that comes in the Amp, but am always up for trying stuff. Nate finally got to the course a bit later than expected :alien: and he let me throw the Asha in my AMP. The first few swings I took with it on the range could only be described as "interesting," but I finally put a couple good swings on the ball with the Asha and was astounded at the flight and the distance I seemed to be getting.

When we got out on the course I continued to see great results. I am not sure how many fairways I hit, but it was quite a few. I really enjoyed the bit lower ballflight I was seeing and I definately noticed some distance increases. This shaft isn't a fix-all. I still had my occasional slice, but it seemed this thing helped keep it from going too far left.

The next day I went out with one of my friends and was able to use the B. Asha again. It was very very windy, but this shaft seemed to help the ball cut through the wind and I noticed on my scorecard at the end of the round that I only missed 2 fairways, and didn't lose any balls OB off the tee, which is very good for me.

I really quite like the look of this shaft, and the performance is amazing. At some point I hope to have this thing in a driver, because it is just that good for me. Thanks to Nate for letting me try this thing out, and he now has me lusting for one of these things

First off Cookie - he hit some of the best drives I've seen him hit with this combo. Very nice flight with just the slightest of slight draws on the ball. Really cool to see. I don't know if Cookie was reaching back for more or was getting stuck but he did snap a few to the left. He was getting "sneaky" long out there on the ones he connected on! And that thing does look great with the orange head!

TexasHacker - We've played twice and those were the best drives I've seen out of you when you played with the B. Asha shaft. I guess that carried on to the next day as well! I almost didn't get it back from him! Glad you enjoyed it like the others.

Stan - Great stuff in that last writeup. Still pictures were a little blurry for me to really see what was going on but I see what you were trying to do. I like it! I think if you could get something to slow it down even more to see exactly where the shafts were at, esp. at impact, that would be awesome. Is there an app golf program that would help (and is good?) Great idea! You have been doing a wonderful job with your input since you received that shaft! It's been fun watching you test this shaft.

Stan - Great stuff in that last writeup. Still pictures were a little blurry for me to really see what was going on but I see what you were trying to do. I like it! I think if you could get something to slow it down even more to see exactly where the shafts were at, esp. at impact, that would be awesome. Is there an app golf program that would help (and is good?) Great idea! You have been doing a wonderful job with your input since you received that shaft! It's been fun watching you test this shaft.

Thanks Nate, really appreciate the kind words. Even though it's been cold up here I love going to the range to try new testings to share with the forum. I think we all know by now all the advantages this shaft brings so I'm trying to get creative with some reviews to give everyone a different perspective. You've been doing an awesome job also and I see you've been hooking up some THPers lately so they can get some swings with this great shaft, real nice gesture.

As for the pictures and video, I think it has more to do with the capabilities of my video camera and less to do with the app. I don't think it's possible for the 8 mp video camera that records 30 frames per second I have to handle super slow motion. It's great 99% of the time (including backswing, top of swing, and follow through), but to capture a 100 mph downswing I'd probably need some professional equipment like the kind golftec uses. If I can get my hands on something that can get some images at impact I will definitely post it on the forum (I'd love to see these images myself). I figured between the pictures, breakdown, and video there was something for everyone to analyze and hopefully get some information. Thanks again for reading Nate, really jealous of all you southerners who can still get out on the course. I got another idea or 2 for THP and this thread that I'll try out in the coming weeks at the range and see if they work out.

Last edited:
Great stuff Stan, the pictures and breaking down the positions gave a great comparison between the two!

It's good to see this shaft working out for so many different people. It speaks volumes about the technology and work that went into his shaft.

My B. Asha is getting a 910 adapter installed tomorrow and hopefully, I will be able to start adding my thoughts soon, and giving some side by side feedback to my Fuji Speeder.

My B. Asha is getting a 910 adapter installed tomorrow and hopefully, I will be able to start adding my thoughts soon, and giving some side by side feedback to my Fuji Speeder.

Excited for you Jeff, the B. Asha is pure sweetness. Look forward to hearing your thoughts and comparison with your current shaft.

Back