Florida monthly get togethers - February 2013

Trout,
That is not a bad idea, but you would have to have a commitment from a minimum of 4 I think to make it happen.

I agree man, if we can't get at least 4 or 6 from up north it won't happen, they'll have to come to Orlando or Tampa. It could be really fun though if we could get a bunch of Florida members to show, heck look how the out of staters show up every once in a while, that's pretty cool.

North Florida event may be able to pull some folks from south Georgia possibly.

Gotcha, I was unaware of the reluctance to travel. Maybe we should bring a get together up there so they can meet those of us that like to get together regularly, maybe it will draw some Northern members out. Hell, I'll drive 4 hrs to play with you guys, I might even drive 5 or 6 lol. And yes, Greg is totally awesome!
This is why I think somewhere near the I10/I75 split would work, but there is just not much in that area. Does Lake City offer any decent courses?

So far I've called

Eagle Lakes (regularly $100 would give it to us for $75 if we can get 12 people)
Forest Glen (can only play twilight at $99 a person)
Hammock Bay (lol)
Twin Eagles (closed for the Ace classic)

Any others I should call?

So far I've called

Eagle Lakes (regularly $100 would give it to us for $75 if we can get 12 people)
Forest Glen (can only play twilight at $99 a person)
Hammock Bay (lol)
Twin Eagles (closed for the Ace classic)

Any others I should call?

It's not still the way down in Naples, but Sarasota National in Venice would be an exceptional place to have it.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

It's not still the way down in Naples, but Sarasota National in Venice would be an exceptional place to have it.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Need something just a little farther south for those of us in South East Fla. We can play ther the next Sarasota event though, it looks awesome Wow!

This is why I think somewhere near the I10/I75 split would work, but there is just not much in that area. Does Lake City offer any decent courses?

I don't know anything around there. There's gotta be someone from the area on THP that can pipe up and give some insight, eh?

Truthfully wouldnt that also be too far away from the Jax area members?

I reached out to our buddy SW, he's gonna give me a hand as soon as he breaks free from some stuff he's got going on.

Truthfully wouldnt that also be too far away from the Jax area members?
Indeed, it is. But, something has to give. I dont think it's too much to ask for the Jax THP'ers to drive an hour or two, especially for a trip like this the Miami area guys are looking at 7-8 hours.
I reached out to our buddy SW, he's gonna give me a hand as soon as he breaks free from some stuff he's got going on.
Awesome Trout!

Indeed, it is. But, something has to give. I dont think it's too much to ask for the Jax THP'ers to drive an hour or two, especially for a trip like this the Miami area guys are looking at 7-8 hours.

Then this goes back to my original question. I agree with you by the way, is Orlando just too far for those in that area? I was under the impression that it is pretty central for most. Maybe I am very confused by my FL geography.

Then this goes back to my original question. I agree with you by the way, is Orlando just too far for those in that area? I was under the impression that it is pretty central for most. Maybe I am very confused by my FL geography.
Orlando is definitely a central location for most of the Florida crew. It's less than two hours from Jax, just under 3 hours from Miami area. Furthest away would be the panhandle guys.

Orlando is definitely a central location for most of the Florida crew. It's less than two hours from Jax, just under 3 hours from Miami area. Furthest away would be the panhandle guys.

I sort of consider myself a panhandle guy... just sayin'.

Honest question. If these guys put a get together at the i10xi75 area War is speaking of, do you make the trip?

The reason I ask is because it is getting harder for these guys to pick locations and we want to try and alleviate this as much as possible for them.

EDIT: I want to add that if it is an area you would consider going, the guys definitely should look into that area to include your region.

You're a good 5-6 hours away from the panhandle though, correct?

Here's my Jacksonville opion. My issue with travel is that I have an 18 month old and can only play on Saturday's, driving 2.5 hours to Orlando (yes, 2.5 to get to the Disney area, for instance, not 1.5, not 2 - unless you drive 90 mph), playing a round for 4+ hours, then driving back... I'm gone pretty much all day and won't get to spend any time with my little boy.

It just seems that EVERY SINGLE EVENT is held in Orlando or farther south, like Florida stops are I-4. Is it too much to ask the every once in a blue moon there be an event that doesn't require a 2+ hour drive for some of us up north? That's all. Not every month. Once a year, that's all I ask. There is zero chance of me making it to Sarasota/Naples/Miami, etc. Small chance for Orlando/Ocala.

Pretty big chance I can make Daytona - LPGA Legends course is fantastic, for example. Lake City is an hour west and doable, but there aren't many courses over there. Gainesville not too far. Any of those would work for me. Anything inside the Jacksonville vicinity, too, of course. All will be easier as the baby gets older, of course, but for now, my options are limited.

I don't think Daytona is unreasonable at all. How is Daytona less reasonable than Naples/Sarasota. No matter where you put it somebody has to drive an hour or two. All I ask is that it doesn't always have to be the "northerners".

Honest question. If these guys put a get together at the i10xi75 area War is speaking of, do you make the trip?

The reason I ask is because it is getting harder for these guys to pick locations and we want to try and alleviate this as much as possible for them.

EDIT: I want to add that if it is an area you would consider going, the guys definitely should look into that area to include your region.

You're a good 5-6 hours away from the panhandle though, correct?

Thanks for asking, JB. I really do appreciate the inclusion. Although I was being silly about the panhandle thing - that just seems like the only area of Florida I ever go.

I google mapped Lake City, FL and I'm looking at about a 7.5 hour drive. And WE, yes, I'm about 6 to 6.5 from the Panama City area.

I think for me to seriously consider it, it would have to be a holiday weekend where I'm off on Monday and can use that day to travel back. I wouldn't want you guys to worry about me in your plans though. I think it'd be more of me just following along with the thread and if your location/timing works for a particular weekend I could give it a go. Or, I get out of a debt and afford airfare, whichever comes first. :act-up:

Either way, I plan to see you guys in Atlanta.

Here's my Jacksonville opion. My issue with travel is that I have an 18 month old and can only play on Saturday's, driving 2.5 hours to Orlando (yes, 2.5 to get to the Disney area, for instance, not 1.5, not 2 - unless you drive 90 mph), playing a round for 4+ hours, then driving back... I'm gone pretty much all day and won't get to spend any time with my little boy.

It just seems that EVERY SINGLE EVENT is held in Orlando or farther south, like Florida stops are I-4. Is it too much to ask the every once in a blue moon there be an event that doesn't require a 2+ hour drive for some of us up north? That's all. Not every month. Once a year, that's all I ask. There is zero chance of me making it to Sarasota/Naples/Miami, etc. Small chance for Orlando/Ocala.

Pretty big chance I can make Daytona - LPGA Legends course is fantastic, for example. Lake City is an hour west and doable, but there aren't many courses over there. Gainesville not too far. Any of those would work for me. Anything inside the Jacksonville vicinity, too, of course. All will be easier as the baby gets older, of course, but for now, my options are limited.

I don't think Daytona is unreasonable at all. How is Daytona less reasonable than Naples/Sarasota. No matter where you put it somebody has to drive an hour or two. All I ask is that it doesn't always have to be the "northerners".

I think having one in Daytona at some point is more than reasonable. I think the last time we did anything north of Bradenton was in September of 2011, am I wrong? Maybe we could split the difference and do something in Seminole county, I have heard Victoria hills is pretty good. The big problem to me with doing something in Orlando this time of year is price. Playing a course of the caliber we usually play is going to cost you $100 on a weekend morning in the winter. Unless we gets de hookeup somehow.

As of right now the 16th looks good. But that could change at anytime.

I agree with the pricing issue though. Miami and Palm Beach this time of year gets real pricey and the only way to play affordable golf is to book on GolfNow or play after 1pm. Summer down this way is blistering hot but much more affordable and better deals can be had.

Tapping away on my S3

Cant do it, I cant get down there any sooner than the 23rd (which happens to be the wifes bday), and even right now we arent quite 100% set on making it, got some loose ends that need tied up first

All good buddy. Hopefully things work out though and you can enjoy our weather a bit.

Lake City if I recall has 2 golf courses, one of them is right off of 75. I don't think Gainesville is any better.

One thing to remember is that these are not THP events, but a group of THPers that are getting together to plan some golf. While I do not think it is unreasonable to have an event near somebody, it could have been that many of the golfers in FL did not know much about the interest from the northerners, because most do not come into any of the FL threads to have that voice known. If people go back through all of the FL golf threads going back a few years, they were always planned by those that live from Orlando south. Im just thinking out loud here, but maybe if the N. FL group gets together sometime or reviews a course or two in the area, or shows more interest in getting out with THPers, it could work out. Again, just thinking out loud here.

Personally, I have no issue where they are held for anybody as long as a bunch of guys get together.

Penglynns,

I completely understand where you are coming from as I myself have a 15month old and a few other FL Thp'ers also have kids. I myself cant make it to events north of Orlando unless I bring the wife and kid. Heck even getting to Orlando is sometimes a challenge for me as well trying to convince the wife. Thats why Trout created this thread so that we can all be vocal on dates and locations. These are all non-THP sponsored events and are organized by the FL THP members. Im glad that you voice your opinion and hope that more North FL guys chime in so that planning a North FL event is possible. Without activity from the North FL guys we have no clue who lives where and thier interest level to plan an event up that way. I hope we can tee it up soon dude!

Tapping away on my S3

Penglynns,

I completely understand where you are coming from as I myself have a 15month old and a few other FL Thp'ers also have kids. I myself cant make it to events north of Orlando unless I bring the wife and kid. Heck even getting to Orlando is sometimes a challenge for me as well trying to convince the wife. Thats why Trout created this thread so that we can all be vocal on dates and locations. These are all non-THP sponsored events and are organized by the FL THP members. Im glad that you voice your opinion and hope that more North FL guys chime in so that planning a North FL event is possible. Without activity from the North FL guys we have no clue who lives where and thier interest level to plan an event up that way. I hope we can tee it up soon dude!

Tapping away on my S3

Said better than I did. And glad you made the 3 or so hour trek over for the last one buddy, it was great meeting you.

What it all boils down to is if you are willing to travel to play. The options are vast in Orlando and its an easy ride. Going south makes sense due to the numbers that are willing to play. Tampa/Sarasota works due to the numbers. Orlando has always drawn 4 or more tee times. To make an entire outing move north doesn't make sense to me because the guys down south have to drive that much fatter to reach.

I've traveled to Jacksonville to play and invited folks to join. I do believe Donnie drove 8 hrs from VA to play. Oh I also have two small children, one day of golf with friends never seems be an issue. But like I said, it all boils down to the worth of the day. It's well worth it for me to tee it up with THPrs every month.

Back