Cleveland Classic XL & XL Custom Driver Preview Thread

This will be the determining factor on how the rest of my bag shapes up for the MC in July. The option of a 12* driver is nice, and would set me up well to go to a 15.5* 3W.

The other side of things gives me the custom option and the adjustability, which would allow me to tinker a bit with the face settings, and roll with a 10.5* driver and then possible jump to a 3W+.

This will be the determining factor on how the rest of my bag shapes up for the MC in July. The option of a 12* driver is nice, and would set me up well to go to a 15.5* 3W.

The other side of things gives me the custom option and the adjustability, which would allow me to tinker a bit with the face settings, and roll with a 10.5* driver and then possible jump to a 3W+.

Gonna be a tough choice. Part of me wants the adjustability and the other part knows that with a proper fitting into the B Asha and I am set for success. The ability to get that custom dialed into a nice drawing ball flight sure is tempting though. No idea at this point.

Passed on the old classic for so long and then fell in love at the end of last year.

If its anything at all like the old one, with adjustability, im going to have to try it out and see how it performs, obviously with the right shaft. I was lucky enough to try a handful of shafts in the old classic and it was eye opening to see how big of a difference that played

Gonna be a tough choice. Part of me wants the adjustability and the other part knows that with a proper fitting into the B Asha and I am set for success. The ability to get that custom dialed into a nice drawing ball flight sure is tempting though. No idea at this point.
I really want to hear more about the adjustability. If the loft can increase/decrease without changing the face open/close, then I will more than likely go for it. But, I dont believe that it does that.

I really want to hear more about the adjustability. If the loft can increase/decrease without changing the face open/close, then I will more than likely go for it. But, I dont believe that it does that.

Agree completely and I just don't see that happening. The adjustability I believe mirrors what I saw in the Z-Star.

Agree completely and I just don't see that happening. The adjustability I believe mirrors what I saw in the Z-Star.

that's what I am seeing as well. Looks like the exact same adapter

Hmmm.... So the big question for me will be if I want 10.5* or 12*

I think if it's similar to last years Classic, deep face & low spin, the 12* is a must for me.

I never spent much time with the Z Star, but there is something to be said about keeping the adjustability simple. I think the Titleist / SuperTri adjustability I've used is a bit too much and the Anser adjustability just wasnt enough.

I think if it's similar to last years Classic, deep face & low spin, the 12* is a must for me.

I'm in the same boat Ryan, never hit the Classic too well, but know I will need a higher loft # due to my lower spin rate. Will be interested to see where the #s fall with the different loft/shaft combos.

you could just go both

tough choice. go 10.5 crank it close and have a 12 degree effective loft

I never spent much time with the Z Star, but there is something to be said about keeping the adjustability simple. I think the Titleist / SuperTri adjustability I've used is a bit too much and the Anser adjustability just wasnt enough.

It's very similar to the supertri settings, just without all the weights.

you could just go both
If Phil can bag two drivers, why can I?!?

tough choice. go 10.5 crank it close and have a 12 degree effective loft
I dont think close the face on a driver is what I need right now, how far left could I get that thing to go!

If Phil can bag two drivers, why can I?!?

I dont think close the face on a driver is what I need right now, how far left could I get that thing to go!

doesn't matter good-good

I know there is probably tons of R&D and data mining behind it, but it seems like Cleveland is missing out on alot of the excitement out there for so many of the new lines out this year. I know it just seems magnified for us enthusiasts, but the other OEMs seems to be really making some sales with their new gear already, 2+ weeks before the new Cleveland stuff gets released.

I know there is probably tons of R&D and data mining behind it, but it seems like Cleveland is missing out on alot of the excitement out there for so many of the new lines out this year. I know it just seems magnified for us enthusiasts, but the other OEMs seems to be really making some sales with their new gear already, 2+ weeks before the new Cleveland stuff gets released.

Its really the same for every brand though. Was Taylormade losing sales when the 913 came out before it? It is almost always this way, just as Cleveland was ahead of some when their new wedges got released last month.

Each company has cycles and it never helps any of them to have all brands release all lines at the exact same time.

The full lines end up in all stores as seasons start however which makes for good testing for the consumer that wants to hit everything.

Its really the same for every brand though. Was Taylormade losing sales when the 913 came out before it? It is almost always this way, just as Cleveland was ahead of some when their new wedges got released last month.

Each company has cycles and it never helps any of them to have all brands release all lines at the exact same time.

The full lines end up in all stores as seasons start however which makes for good testing for the consumer that wants to hit everything.

Which describes most of us here at THP. I know I want to hit as many different lines as possible.

On one hand I do agree with you, it seems like Cleveland is late to the prom and someone else is dancing with his girl, but on the other hand I don't think a couple weeks of release date will affect overall sales that much. The average golfer is probably still in his winter off-season and a lot of the winter golfers are still going to wait to hit EVERYTHING before making a decision (like me).

Which describes most of us here at THP. I know I want to hit as many different lines as possible.
Agreed, DD, that was my thought exactly!

Has anyone seen or heard if all three interchangeable weights will be included with each driver, or if they will be an add on option like the TM weight kit? From the Cleveland site, they recommend the 3 gram weight for those looking to maximize distance, 7g for those looking for a distance/accuracy balance, and the 11g to maximize control.

I wonder how the different weights will also affect spin rates, thus affecting trajectory as well. I'm guessing the 11g means more spin and a higher traj.

Good work to Damaikis for tweeting to @CGSrixonTour about the availability of adapters for the Classic Custom. They said they will be available on shop.cleveland.com

Good work to Damaikis for tweeting to @CGSrixonTour about the availability of adapters for the Classic Custom. They said they will be available on shop.cleveland.com

I'm glad they will be. Should add/keep the Custom on plenty of people's ponder lists!

This is key. I'm glad they and Nike are getting on board with this.

Nice work Dam, I agree with Jman, this is a good idea.

Is the major difference between the Custom and the stock XL the adjustability?

Nicely done Charlie! It's great to hear they will be accessible.

Back