TaylorMade R1 Driver Review - Forum Testing Thread

Is the shaft tip the same on the R1 as it was on the R11 and R11s?

they are different like Ary said. You can already order them through golfworks

Is the shaft tip the same on the R1 as it was on the R11 and R11s?

As the good doctor said below, they are not the same, and they are not backwards compatible. If this was something they were doing every year, that would annoy me, but given that they had used the same (or at least compatible) tips for 3-4 years, it was probably time for an upgrade there.

No, different tips for the R1.

Sent from Tapatalk
Thanks for answering.
I just wondered because the only difference between the R9 and R11/R11s were the markings but they would fit into and work with the other heads.

Interesting. I don't know why but I was under the impression that if the sole compass faced North that it was always going to be set to neutral. Kind of like the SmartPad that Cobra has. But from what it sounds like, for every adjustment you make on the hosel you have to make another one on the sole plate. Am I reading that right? So really then using a fitting app or website becomes kind of important to make sure you are set back at neutral right?

I am basing that comment mostly off of TaylorMade's online fitting tool. The rotation of the shaft for different lofts changes the face position at neutral, and the face angle adjustment plate lets you tweek the face angle to multiple positions, including back to square, but your starting point differs based on your loft setting.

Thanks guys.

Catching up from last night. So far lots of good stuff guys

Interesting. I don't know why but I was under the impression that if the sole compass faced North that it was always going to be set to neutral. Kind of like the SmartPad that Cobra has. But from what it sounds like, for every adjustment you make on the hosel you have to make another one on the sole plate. Am I reading that right? So really then using a fitting app or website becomes kind of important to make sure you are set back at neutral right?

I will definitely have the app open on my phone when making changes on the R1. I am still unclear as to how the face opens or closes based on loft. But the app is quite helpful.

I will definitely have the app open on my phone when making changes on the R1. I am still unclear as to how the face opens or closes based on loft. But the app is quite helpful.

I could be mistaken, but I think one of the big selling points of the R1 is that you can adjust the loft independently of the face angle. I think that is the real breakthrough in adjustment from the R11 series. Whether that is actually the case is another issue, but I remember a lot of discussion about the independent loft adjustment when the R1 was first announced.

This also likely explains the different tip for the R1. It seems to work completely differently than the tip for the R11 series.

I could be mistaken, but I think one of the big selling points of the R1 is that you can adjust the loft independently of the face angle. I think that is the real breakthrough in adjustment from the R11 series. Whether that is actually the case is another issue, but I remember a lot of discussion about the independent loft adjustment when the R1 was first announced.

This also likely explains the different tip for the R1. It seems to work completely differently than the tip for the R11 series.

That is what I thought as well, but I am hearing mixed thoughts from people saying it opens/closes with adjustment.

I am basing that comment mostly off of TaylorMade's online fitting tool. The rotation of the shaft for different lofts changes the face position at neutral, and the face angle adjustment plate lets you tweek the face angle to multiple positions, including back to square, but your starting point differs based on your loft setting.

thanks guys. So it sounds like unlike the Nike and Cobra that even when you make one change, you have to make another. Not saying that is good or bad, but just sounds like a different way to get to the end result.

As requested here is a better pic of the R1 lined up with the Classic 310
_DSN3361_zps802005ff.jpg
[/IMG]

thank you! Seems to have a bit smaller face (to be expected next to the classic) but could possibly still be large enough to give the confidence that if you really get after it, you will still make solid face contact. One of the things I like the most about the Classic is that I feel I am a kid again hitting a whiffle ball with a bam bam bat. Great opening T2, can't wait for some head to head findings.

According to their tool online, changing the loft does change the face angle, but you can change the sole plate to adjust it back. Therefore, hypothetically you can change the loft indepenedently of the face angle, but it requires two adjustments to get there.

Bottome of this page: http://taylormadegolf.com/drivers/R1,en_US,pg.html

Man, I'm so confused right now. To me, I would swear that the face looked neutral after soling the driver in the 12°/N position, but this pretty much tosses that out of the water. I think that's really confusing to the average person.

According to their tool online, changing the loft does change the face angle, but you can change the sole plate to adjust it back. Therefore, hypothetically you can change the loft indepenedently of the face angle, but it requires two adjustments to get there.

I was just messing around with that fitting link. It tells me if I set it to 12 and then change the compass to Closed 3, I will have a face that is 8 degrees shut. If I set it to 3 degrees open, it will be back at neutral. It is kind o fun to play with.

Great info guys, but I'm gessing you guys hate the graphics on the top.

Negative. Plan to get my initial thoughts up during lunch today!

Man, I'm so confused right now. To me, I would swear that the face looked neutral after soling the driver in the 12°/N position, but this pretty much tosses that out of the water. I think that's really confusing to the average person.
Im more confused now than I was earlier.

Im more confused now than I was earlier.

Not to be completely negative, but I don't like it. I know it's all out there on the internet, but I don't think people are going to be naturally inclined to expect the give/take in terms of loft vs the sole plate.

It makes sense when I see it and think about it, but my first thoughts would not have been to look at it that way. To me, neutral means neutral. Not neutral (as long as your loft is xx°).

Ok, I have played around a bit with the tool on TM's website and it makes more sense now. Actually, a lot more sense. The face angle does change when adjusting loft, but with the compass you can bring it back to square.

For example, if I raise the loft up to 12*, I would need to open the face and set it to "Open 3" to bring the face back to Neutral The same goes for the opposite direction, crank the loft down to 8* and I will need to set it to "Closed 3" to get the face back to neutral.

Not to be completely negative, but I don't like it. I know it's all out there on the internet, but I don't think people are going to be naturally inclined to expect the give/take in terms of loft vs the sole plate.

It makes sense when I see it and think about it, but my first thoughts would not have been to look at it that way. To me, neutral means neutral. Not neutral (as long as your loft is xx°).

I think the same way and that's how I thought it worked until this morning. I'm starting to think that Nike and Cobra have it the best right now based on the adjustable loft/face stuff. But that's just 1 piece of the puzzle, the real question is how does the head work.

Totally agree Hawk, someone like me and the rest of us on the form could figure it out in the end but how many weekend golfers want to mess around with something like this?

Really interested to see you guys work through these adjustments on the driver to get it dialed in. Love to hear about what the ball flight was doing on your first hits compared to how you get it straightened out. I know some have already posted about the adjustments. Good stuff!

After playing on the site, it makes more sense to me. The loft and face angle can be changed independently of each other, but at the same time they do affect each other. 1* up and you have to adjust the face angle open 1 notch. 1* closed and you have to adjust the face angle closed 1 notch.

I certainly don't "hate" the crown graphics. They are present, and they won't be ignored -- at least not initially. But, they are not unappealing, just unusual. I suspect the crown graphics will be an afterthought after a range session, especially if I am crushing the R1.

Heck, you could give me the Bubba Watson pink crown and add some purple sparkles to it, and I would still game it proudly if I was hitting it 300+ and straight. It would get a few laughs on the first tee, until I hit it. :D

After playing on the site, it makes more sense to me. The loft and face angle can be changed independently of each other, but at the same time they do affect each other. 1* up and you have to adjust the face angle open 1 notch. 1* closed and you have to adjust the face angle closed 1 notch.
That seems like a lot of work for the average person to get dialed in?

It does make sense. And granted once you find your setting you are most likely to leave it there. It's just more steps then the other methods out there

Back