How hard do you work

Trout Bum

Regional Rival
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
How hard do you work on your game?

I often get paired up with guys or gals that never practice and play once a month, they get angry when they go out and shoot 90 or 100+ round. Do you expect more out of your game than you are willing to put into it?

Are your results acceptable?

Not very hard at all. A bucket of balls and five minutes of putting if my tee time's delayed.
Only have so much time, and I spend it playing when I can. Isn't the best thing for my game, but I like playing.

Results aren't what I'd like, but they must be acceptable or I wouldn't do it like that, right?

Great question Trout!

For starters, I will admit that I am not a range guy. I get nothing out of pounding balls at the range....perhaps it's my lack of a plan while there but I just don't enjoy it.

This time of year, I am happy to get out once a week but the days are just beginning to get long enough that I can sneak in 9 after work. That is where I like to work on my game - on the course. I don't do swing changes, just focus on the basics. To go out right now, I am happy to shoot mid 80's. Come April when I am playing 3x/week, I want to be either breaking 80 or shooting no higher than 83.

With all that said, the results are acceptable for what I am willing/able to put into it. But yes, I see all the time with someone like my dad who never practices, plays once every 2-3 weeks, goes out and shoots 92 or 94 while skulling wedges all day, and then is not happy with how they played. Not many are naturals and can play well consistently with very little practice/play time.

I use to only play, only went to the range to warm up. That changed last season and into this winter. Went to the range about once every other week last year and been doing this same through the winter at an indoor place.

Hoping this summer that increases even more.

I like to practice 3 to 4 times a week if schedule allows. I only get to play every couple weeks, so range time is usually all I get. Especially during this time of year due to the early sunset and the course is usually some what crowded in the afternoons. But I will say that I put in as much time on the chipping/putting green as I do on the range.

It's a two edge sword for me. With minimal work I stay around low to mid 80s, and that is ok. When I work at it I play down in the mid to high 70s. So I see the benefits of working at my game. But when I'm playing in the 70s I want it lower so in comes the frustrations of reaching my skill level plateau. So is it a issue of acceptance or me being content with playing at that level

Great topic Trout. For me it is very different and sadly not where I want it to be. I can say I work hard at my game, but to be fair, its only in spurts. Between work and the 2013 travel schedule, it might not change this year either. I used to be at the range 3 days a week for an hour each day working on my short game. From full shots to putting and everything in between it was something I worked really hard at.

Now I do that in spurts. After the first couple of THP Invitationals, I am going to go back to a short game "bootcamp" so to speak and get out there in the evenings for 3 days a week leading up to the Outing in May.

Not hard enough....

Ive never been a range guy and with limited time to golf, when the times available Id always prefer to play a round instead of going to the range.

That will change in 2013 as I prepare for the MC, more of a balance.

I feel like I spend a lot of time working on my game. Whether or not is working on y game correctly is a different story.

Not very hard at all. A couple of times on the range after winter, then if I'm lucky, I'll get to play once a month. I rarely get to play so what's the point of trying to fit in extra practice? When I do play I'm frustrated at times since I know I can do better, but I'm accepting of it as well since I know my time on the course is limited and I shouldn't expect much. I'm hoping that this summer since the kids are old enough to be without me for a few hours on weekends I'll get to play more.

I just had this exact senario on Monday. My cart mate, friend and client complained that he sucked. I told him he didn't suck, he just didnt owrk on his game. I went so far as to tell him that golf might not be for him. He is an accomplished tennis player and kicks my tail all over the court.

I have not put a great deal of time into playing as of late but I do work on my putting stroke and my chipping a few times a week. Do I work on my game as much as I'd like, no. And 75% of the time I am happy with my results. It's those 25% times that I know I should be working harder to improve. No excuses in me, I just need to work harder.
How hard do you work on your game?

I often get paired up with guys or gals that never practice and play once a month, they get angry when they go out and shoot 90 or 100+ round. Do you expect more out of your game than you are willing to put into it?

Are your results acceptable?

I'm with everybody else here. I would love to be able to work on my game more than I do. Over the winter I go to the range and try and work on one thing. This year it's releasing the club. Ill go to the range and work on that one thing when I can. As for short game, it's hard in the winter in Philly to do so. I virtually never practice on it. In the summer when I'm down the shore I will go to the course at night and play games of PIG or HORSE with my brothers with all different types of shots but I wouldn't consider that "putting in work". And with having a daughter and work there just isn't enough time for me to spend an hour or two at the range every other day!

I work hard at work, I play golf to have fun. I'll go to the range once in a while to work on something, more if I am testing a club. But if I can get in 10 minutes of putting and a few swings before a round, I'm good to go.

I spend a lot of time working on my game, especially during the spring/summer after the time changes and I can get out after work. During the winter I don't spend as much time as I would like since I can't get out that much, but I still will spend a lot of time on the range before and after my weekend rounds. During the summer, I'll usually spend about 3-4 of the afternoons during the week on the driving range when I get off work. That usually leaves me with about 2 hours on the range 3-4 days a week, so I get plenty of practice time then.

After seeing how many fuelpoints that War is racking up, I don't work nearly hard enough. If the weather is nice, I will hit some balls prior to work. I will also work on my swing in front of a mirror at home if I get a chance. On the weekends I will hit balls each day for about 2-3 hours

I am a firm believer that just going to the range without a plan and banging balls for a couple of hours is a waste of time (and boring). During good weather, I try to go to the range 2-3 times a week to work on specific things that I'm trying to improve. (I'm retired and have the time). If I've been coming over the top with the irons, I'll take a shoe box with me and work on swing path and release. If I feel I'm having an alignment problem, I'll take rods to the range and work on sqaring myself up. There are some other drills that I was taught to work on other aspects of the swing. But, none of them involve hitting 100's of balls.

I have put in time the last few years and have seen the results. I have absolutely improved. Time= improvement.

I cannot afford to play as often as I would like so I go to the range 2 or 3 nights a week, sometimes more. I always make sure to have a plan and work on something in particular. I feel like my game should be better than it is...but who doesn't? When walking to the 19th hole I stop and think of any 4' putts I missed or the chip shots I left 20' short and shake my head.

Like most here I don't work on my game nearly enough. I do play a lot (3 to 5 times per week) but only hit the range and putting green about 2 or 3 times per month. My swing will get completely out of whack and I am usually able to at least calm it down on the range. I plan to get another series of lessons pretty soon so I will be working on various drills the instructor has for me.

I don't work on my game as much as I used too either, I get to the range twice a week a couple hours each day. When I go though I spend one session hitting driver, 3 wood,2, 3, and 4 irons, the next day i'll chip and putt only. It works out well but I need to get back to a more disciplined regimen soon in order to hit the scores I want and expect. I envy those that can do it every day or several days a week.

I don't work hard at all. Or ever really.

I just go play and accept the 75-85 that I get.

TTing

Don't work on it at all. I'm not happy being a bogey golfer because I believe I can do much better but with work and two little boys keeping me busy when I do find the time (avg prolly once a week when they're in school and less in the summer) I prefer to golf as opposed to beating balls.

Starting 5 months ago I began to work very hard on my game. I have a swing coach that I see once a month, I set up a chipping and putting station in my basement and spend at least 10-15 minutes most days working on the short game. Looking for big results this upcoming season.

At 43, I've decided to work hard and see just how good I can get. Time will tell, I actually really enjoy practicing golf.

I dont work as hard as I would like to.

I always say I am going to start practicing on the regular, but I never do. I tend to talk about it but dont do it. Partly due to cost and partly due to a busy schedule.

I'm at the range 3-4x a week working on swing mechanics. I typically will focus on either woods or irons depending on my current struggles. Recently it's been the woods. I'm at the short game area 2x a week working on green side pitch shots. I bought some putting turf and set up a putting area in my back yard and I have a putter and ball return in my office at work and spend 2-3x a week on putting. I then will play 2x a week. I'm no were near where I want to be. I have high expectations for myself and I'm willing to work at it.

Back