TaylorMade R1 Driver Review - Forum Testing Thread

With some great discussion about the sole plate already taking place, I thought I would snap a pic of the plate in each setting to give our readers could get a better sense of just how much it changes. Will let the photos tell the story:

Neutral
DSC_1001_zpsda16f09e.jpg

Open 1*
DSC_1002_zpsa8ca41ba.jpg

Open 2*
DSC_1003_zps5a89cf61.jpg

Open 3*
DSC_1004_zps60c75818.jpg

Closed 1*
DSC_1007_zpsb337b5d1.jpg

Closed 2*
DSC_1006_zpsb950da5c.jpg

Closed 3*
DSC_1005_zpsb765faf2.jpg

Last edited:
War

This has been my experience with the R11... I am a strong guy, but my ss is only about 90 because of a shoulder / neck issue. The lighter shafts just don't work for me with my short quick swing. The R11 / R11s with the 65g shafts w 12' loft has been very good to me. Did I see that the R1 has a 55g shaft? I know that seems like it shouldn't be that big of a deal, but it is for me for some reason.
If you would like first hand feel let me know I will meet up with you and let you have a go with it. Wrench in hand. I'm playing with the 55s.

If you would like first hand feel let me know I will meet up with you and let you have a go with it. Wrench in hand. I'm playing with the 55s.

I am also curious about this. I have heard that the head of this driver is heavy. Not that this is good or bad, just that it is. I am interested to hear about the shaft pairing as well to see if that could be adjusted with a heavier shaft. I'm sure it could but it did make me curious.

I am also curious about this. I have heard that the head of this driver is heavy. Not that this is good or bad, just that it is. I am interested to hear about the shaft pairing as well to see if that could be adjusted with a heavier shaft. I'm sure it could but it did make me curious.
I can tell you this, yesterday I started off hitting my Black driver and immediately switched to the R1. Going from one to the other did not cause me a single issue. Obviously it is a bit heavier than my current driver (but everything else out in the Market is), but it wasnt anything that was substantial that made me think about weight.

very nice guys, very nice

Below is the best pic I could grab. The top of the AMP is rounded up which extends the height of the face, the J40 is pretty flat. It is not as deep as the Classic but definitely deeper at address than the J40.

Numerically speaking, they are as follows:

J40: 2 1/16"
R1: 2 1/8"
AMP: 2 1/4"

Those are rough numbers and then the R1 looks taller because it goes from the face to the crown where it turns white but it goes up some on the face before starting back towards the crown....hope that makes sense.

DSC_1000_zps034ff6b0.jpg

The R1 really looks appealing compared to the others, it really looks good.

i haven't had a problem going from the Classic with the Kusala 61s to the R1 with the Rip Phenom 55s. However I've only had them together on my initial testing. Last night I went solo with the R1 to get it dialed in and test the app with it. I will let you know as I continue. It is a different feel for sure. But I'm not ready to say its all in the weight

Brand new tip... Not compatible. Different settings = different tip. Sure would be nice if you could just pop in a $400 shaft you bought 1-2 years ago.

The tip is only about 30 bucks so if you wanted to it would not be much money.

I plan to get to the range today with the R1. I have my R11 in the truck as well to warm up with and get a comparison. Will update later tonight.

With some great discussion about the sole plate already taking place, I thought I would snap a pic of the plate in each setting to give our readers could get a better sense of just how much it changes. Will let the photos tell the story:

Neutral
DSC_1001_zpsda16f09e.jpg

Open 1*
DSC_1002_zpsa8ca41ba.jpg

Open 2*
DSC_1003_zps5a89cf61.jpg

Open 3*
DSC_1004_zps60c75818.jpg

Closed 1*
DSC_1007_zpsb337b5d1.jpg

Closed 2*
DSC_1006_zpsb950da5c.jpg

Closed 3*
DSC_1005_zpsb765faf2.jpg

Nice post Cookie. When you close the face that sole plate really starts protruding doesn't it? Perhaps on a close cut tee box it would be effective in setting the club a certain direction while you take your grip.

Nice post Cookie. When you close the face that sole plate really starts protruding doesn't it? Perhaps on a close cut tee box it would be effective in setting the club a certain direction while you take your grip.

Thanks. It really does start sticking out there when you close it up which I believe would be the suggestion when tuning down the loft. I think your "perhaps" is spot on and is the intent - on an ideal tee box the sole plate protruding would set it back to square at address.

Neutral
DSC_1001_zpsda16f09e.jpg

Open 1*
DSC_1002_zpsa8ca41ba.jpg

Open 2*
DSC_1003_zps5a89cf61.jpg

Open 3*
DSC_1004_zps60c75818.jpg

Closed 1*
DSC_1007_zpsb337b5d1.jpg

Closed 2*
DSC_1006_zpsb950da5c.jpg

Closed 3*
DSC_1005_zpsb765faf2.jpg

That's a pretty significant difference, I would have never thought it would change like that.

Really enjoying the info you guys are giving us. Keep up the great work!!!

Man, I'm having a hard time keeping up with all the info in here. Too much stuff going on elsewhere. I will say that I smashed the hell out of the ball with the R1 in my lesson last night. Numbers were good and it felt awesome to really put some good solid swings on the ball. The 12° loft is giving me 13-14° launch angles. Spin is on the lower end of my preferred range, but I can't really complain about the ball speeds and carry numbers I was seeing.

I hit the tp version with the 65g shaft and I loved the weighting and feel of the club, ball just exploded off the face for me. I hit the r1 and the r11s back to back a few times and really preferred the r1. Something about the graphics on the r1 just gave me some extra confidence over the ball.

Man, I'm having a hard time keeping up with all the info in here. Too much stuff going on elsewhere. I will say that I smashed the hell out of the ball with the R1 in my lesson last night. Numbers were good and it felt awesome to really put some good solid swings on the ball. The 12° loft is giving me 13-14° launch angles. Spin is on the lower end of my preferred range, but I can't really complain about the ball speeds and carry numbers I was seeing.
Is the 12* setting where you are keeping your loft most of the time, Hawk?

did you mess around with the compass after all the discussion that went on yesterday or no?

Very interesting pictures - I was really curious how this ASP would work, being a circle. It was pretty easy to see how the original R11 ASP worked with just 3 settings, but this is definitely more advanced.

did you mess around with the compass after all the discussion that went on yesterday or no?

Sure didn't. I meant to, but forgot my wrench. Didn't matter a bit either in terms of side-side ball flight. I think I'm manipulating the face with my grip or something, because it sure doesn't look closed down to my eyes. Of course, that makes me wonder what loft I'm really using - if that makes sense.

Practice time tonight, so I'll make an adjustment there.

Yes, the stock shaft is the RIP Phenom 55g. While this is lighter for most, it's a bit heavier than what I had been gaming.

I'm interested to see the comparison in feel between the R1 and my 910. I have a heavier shaft in the 910 (PX, 73 grams), and my prediction is that the 910 will feel heavier, especially during the swing. I went away from a lighter driver (Classic) because I had some control issues even though I could bomb it. I will be watching to see if I can increase swing speed and distance with the R1 while keeping a relatively tight dispersion.

I am going to take the R1 and 910 to Golfsmith this afternoon/evening for some launch monitor testing. I had hoped to get dialed in with the R1 before getting launch monitor numbers, but I am anxious to hit the R1 and see how it performs. At worst, I'll get the numbers now and go through another session after making the adjustments.

Sure didn't. I meant to, but forgot my wrench. Didn't matter a bit either in terms of side-side ball flight. I think I'm manipulating the face with my grip or something, because it sure doesn't look closed down to my eyes. Of course, that makes me wonder what loft I'm really using - if that makes sense.

Practice time tonight, so I'll make an adjustment there.

I mean if it ain't broke right? I manipulate the FA with my grip, most of the time to my demise

I mean if it ain't broke right? I manipulate the FA with my grip, most of the time to my demise

I figure I'll give it a try and see what happens. Can always go back I suppose.

I figure I'll give it a try and see what happens. Can always go back I suppose.

that's the beauty of it right? You've used this thing the most so far, is there any wear and tear on the compass at all?

Not really, but that sole is a dirt grabbing machine. So many crevices and depressions that it just gets dirty fast.

Back