TaylorMade R1 Driver Review - Forum Testing Thread

I had to take a tee to the compass on the bottom a few times on the range yesterday to get out some grass/debris. I'll snap a picture next time deano.

I think that would irk me unless the results were so good that it didn't matter. You liking it?

I think that would irk me unless the results were so good that it didn't matter. You liking it?
Yeah buddy, I am. Adjusting it up for a little more loft for a better launch angle seems to be key for me. I have another write up coming of the 9 holes I played yesterday. I had some great tee shots, and some distances that had me grinning from ear to ear.

Yeah buddy, I am. Adjusting it up for a little more loft for a better launch angle seems to be key for me. I have another write up coming of the 9 holes I played yesterday. I had some great tee shots, and some distances that had me grinning from ear to ear.

Awesome, that's good to hear. I really like the looks of this thing. The face felt really soft when we were at Waterlefe.

I am curious as to what the swing speeds are of you guys swinging this thing at 12 degree of loft?

100-103.5 last night.

This left into a 324 yard par 4. Oh my!!

zynasy8y.jpg

Wow this thread is moving fast and furious. So much great information, tough to keep up. It's great to see the wide range in lofts the testers are finding success with. Really interested to see how this compares to my R11S. Keep up the good work guys.

This left into a 324 yard par 4. Oh my!!

zynasy8y.jpg

Very nice dude, what is your dominant shot shape with this driver? Fade, straight, or draw?

I cant wait 1 week till I have mine!!!

Hawk at 103mph you are seeing distance gains at 12? We talking total distance or just carry only?

Very nice dude, what is your dominant shot shape with this driver? Fade, straight, or draw?

Much more to come with the full write up tomorrow, but I am hitting this straight with a touch of a draw on a few.

Hawk at 103mph you are seeing distance gains at 12? We talking total distance or just carry only?

My carry distance is good. Definitely better than what I was seeing at the lower loft. I don't really look at total distance. I launch the ball pretty low with the driver, so I'm seeing some pretty good numbers with that setting.

This was 8 good swings after I got warmed up with the R1 from earlier today - numbers from a Vector X.

Carry 242
Ball speed 146
Launch 15.1
Back Spin 2758
Side Spin 272L
H Launch 1.2R

Honestly, I don't know if I could ask for much better than that. Maybe the launch is a tiny high, but last night it was in the 13-14 range on good swings. I'd be fine with that any day of the week.

Seeing those numbers Hawk, compared to what I would guess you were at this summer is great. Getting that launch up has your carry in perfect shape for what you are looking for and being that the spin is still falling where it is, that is pretty dialed in for you.

My carry distance is good. Definitely better than what I was seeing at the lower loft. I don't really look at total distance. I launch the ball pretty low with the driver, so I'm seeing some pretty good numbers with that setting.

This was 8 good swings after I got warmed up with the R1 from earlier today - numbers from a Vector X.

Carry 242
Ball speed 146
Launch 15.1
Back Spin 2758
Side Spin 272L
H Launch 1.2R

Honestly, I don't know if I could ask for much better than that. Maybe the launch is a tiny high, but last night it was in the 13-14 range on good swings. I'd be fine with that any day of the week.

Hawk I am now officially interested again. With those numbers you are no longer a short knocker

Thanks guys. That's a day after a lesson, so I guess I feel like I'm swinging pretty good, but yea - great numbers for me. It was better last night too.

Got to the range today and videoed the sound of the R11s versus R1. I'll edit it out some bad shots - ha!!!!! - and try to get it posted tomorrow.

I just left the range. Will have a write up tonight or in the morning

Forgive me if this was answered through out the thread, couldn't find the answer heard some brief comments on the sound of the driver

Has the R1 gone away from the traditional sound that the R11 and the R11s have.I know that is one thing people who use taylormade love.

I Hit the r11s the other day for the first time, hit the r11 a few times last year. They are a great club to hit, and have a good feel to them, slightly higher ball flight with them as opposed to both my Razr X Black and my Razr Fit.

But back to the sound, has it changed at all , as that is the biggest turn off for me on the Taylormade R11 line. Only club that annoys me as much as that sound is the Nike SQ.

Look forward to the response of the testers

Like your numbers there Hawk. I am looking forward to hearing the reviews from today from the rest of you.

Got to the range today and videoed the sound of the R11s versus R1. I'll edit it out some bad shots - ha!!!!! - and try to get it posted tomorrow.

Awesome MSB. Really interested in your thoughts coming from the R11S.

Good stuff, guys. There is a lot to read already.

Carry 242
Ball speed 146
Launch 15.1
Back Spin 2758
Side Spin 272L
H Launch 1.2R

Hawk, I am a lot like you when it comes to launch with lower lofted drivers. I have long played a 10.5* driver and just accepted my launch for what it was. I really need to get this on a monitor and see what my numbers show me. From what I saw on the range and the course yesterday, I know my launch is now much higher than what it has been in the past, and that equates to more carry. Love it.

Several People have asked about sound. Here is a couple of videos that you can hear for yourself. I apologize ahead of time for the poor visual quality, but for this case it's all about audio.

Ordered mine 2 weeks ago suppose to ship tomarrow!! Tp version with phenom 65 shaft d4 swing weight playing to 44.75 length. Was killing it on demo day, only worry is my spin was only 1900 with 14 launch avg 285 ish with 105 swing speed.but it was tested using Qstars balls. I play b330 balls.

Back