TaylorMade Ghost S Spider Putter Preview Thread

Very nice! Can't wait to hear what you think

TapaTalk from the iPhone

Alright. So I grabbed my new flatstick after I got home and took some pics, then rolled a few carpet puts to get a feel for it. Never been a huge TM guy but I've been rolling the original 33" Ghost Spider that I bought for my wife a while ago, and started to enjoy it. Anyways, on to the good stuff! Jake did a great job with his photos so I tried to stick to the comparison stuff. There's a lot of them though, so fair warning. :D Apologies for the poor lighting in some of these.

Let's start with the head cover. Same shape as the previous models for obvious reasons. This one is lined with a fluffier material than the original Ghost. It also has a velcro closure. Kind of on the fence with that, as I like the magnetic ones (easy to hang on an iron while I walk up to the green). However, with the issues some saw in the MX line earlier this year, maybe it's a good thing. Overall look is pretty slick though.

IMG_0748.jpg

IMG_0752.jpg

Also wanted to throw up some side by side pics to give an idea of the size since this one is just a bit smaller than the original Ghost Spider. I don't have an Itsy Bitsy, but it feels bigger than that to me, having rolled a friends a while ago.

IMG_0754.jpg

IMG_0756.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg

As you can see just a touch smaller. Finally the face. Small cosmetic upgrade here, at least in my eyes. Obviously that's purely a personal preference though.

IMG_0762.jpg

So how do they feel? In hand they felt pretty similar to me, which is to be expected as they both have a head weight of 360 grams. Sound off the face of the S was a bit duller than the original. I actually prefer it. Less of a click. Ball seems to roll well off the face but I'll wait for some time on the green to pass judgement. Had no issues adjusting to the newer model. Almost immediately found good distance and directional control (for me at least lol).

Sorry for the huge post. More to follow when I get this bad boy out on the course.

Awesome post and great comparison pictures Jon. So it is smaller than the original Spider Ghost afterall. Not a lot, but definitely a little smaller. Thanks for the pics and enjoy your new putter. Bum still rolling the one I reviewed, it's s good putter!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Nice post and awesome pictures Jon. Really good comparison pics too with the original, which is a bit larger.

I have the TM Japan Itsy Bitsy Ghost and it is definitely smaller than the "S" based on your photos.

Got in a round with this guy yesterday. Greens were playing pretty quick and would completely run away from you on downhillers. Had some good putts and some not so good putts. Took some time, but I was able to get my speed down pretty well. This thing is sper easy to align and keep square through impact. Putters are pretty personal and I need some more time with this one before I'm ready to give it a permanent status in my rotation. Good start yesterday though. Wasn't counting strokes or anything as I had a bunch of new gear in the bag, but I left the course feeling pretty good about my putting.

Just a heads up that we are currently giving away 3 of these putters in our Early Signup for the Albatross Club contest. If we get 10 more signups in the next few days, we will give away 5 of them.

Just a heads up that we are currently giving away 3 of these putters in our Early Signup for the Albatross Club contest. If we get 10 more signups in the next few days, we will give away 5 of them.
That's pretty damn awesome right there.

How freaking awesome is that!!

That's freaking awesome. I'll also have mine at the invitational if anyone wants to roll it. Just let me know.

Typos courtesy of fat fingers and iPhone

Spent part of the day at the golfstore testing putters and this style, weighting and feel off the face was the best of the bunch for my stroke.

Everyone should sign up for the albatross club and get a chance at one of these. Great putter.

Jon, love hearing the comments. Got me pretty excited to receive this beast.

6a8ujuqy.jpg

u3yhesu4.jpg

eqamatur.jpg

The Pure Roll insert is still great. Like the weight. Can't wait for spring to get it out on the course.

Been putting just about every day with this thing between the carpet in the bedroom and think it's really starting to click with my stroke.

I ended up taking back my SeeMore today and picking up this baby. At the time I got my SM, the Spider was not in Canada yet.

I just could not get along with my SM when I was on vacation. I made some great 20-15 ft putts, but i was struggling with it 10 feet in and any where from 35 feet +. After using a white putter all last summer, Looking at black was just not working.

I had a good half hour at the store and the last hour at home on my putting green, and this thing feels SOFT and I was making so many putts with this baby!! I find the bottom bend in it, feels like you already have a little forward press so its another thing you don't need to worry about and just focus on the speed which i love :)

I have 3 spiders.. Looking to add the spider s

Must say, the stock grip seems even smaller than most stock grips.

Not sure if I'll go Super Stroke or midsize Iomic, but it has to be a little larger than the stock one.

Might be a quick skim here but have any compared alignment vs the Manta?

Tapping away on my S3

I love the alignment on this putter.. So much nicer thank the previous version...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I just tried the ghost s. Love everything about it feel, roll ,alignment.
Got one on order!
gb

Might be a quick skim here but have any compared alignment vs the Manta?

Tapping away on my S3

Was breezing through this thread and don't see that anyone got back to you on this...

I have both the ghost manta and the spider S, and while the alignment aids are VERY different between the two, I've seen them produce similar results/accuracy. So much so, that I still have both in my trunk trying to figure out which one is going to be my gamer for 2013. I really like the weighting of both, the alignment of both, the only (perceivable) difference thus far is the manta is a 35" and the spider is a 34".

hope this helps, please feel free to pm me any questions you might have and I'll do my best to address them

Back