What part of your game puts pressure on the other ones?

Putting because I am dumb and stopped practicing. I actually prefer to be off the green since with my wedges I know I have a good chance of making it or getting close but with a putter I have been terrible lately.
Yeah, what señor peach fuzz said.

My driving game can hurt the rest of my game and my long long iron play like the 3 or 4 iron as with those 3 clubs I will tend to go after it more and it gets me in trouble! I know sometimes depending on the setup of the hole I may be able to slam a 285 yard or so drive out there with a few yards give or take but could just swing smooth and easy and get it out there 270 and be straight in the fairway! So then I am left having to hack it out of the deep rough or a fairway bunker! With par 5's I tend to sometimes take the 3 iron or 4 depending on drive length and hole length and go after it trying to get there in 2 instead of pulling my 4 wood out and find myself in a bad lie close to the green and turning what could have been a good birdie chance if I layed up with a nice chip in from 100-50 yards or so vs hitting deep out of a bunker greenside with a high lip and then maybe 3 putting and coming away with a bogey! So Driving and my 3,4 iron gets me in the most trouble!

I'm gonna say my wedges fro 100 to about 60 yds in are a problem, It's a shot I don't practice a lot and really leaves me some longer putts sometimes.

Interesting thread and really got me thinking. I drop most of my shots because I am awful (no confidence) from 40 yards and in. So I was going to say my chipping, but that begs the question, if I am 40 yards and in and chipping a lot then maybe it is my longer irons and hybrid.
So I have reviewed my last few rounds. The irons from 6-wedge are fine and pretty consistent, and the hybrid has been good. My 4 and 5 are not so good and require some work. But there are a few holes where i am going for GIR from within 75 yards and cannot hit it.
I have spent a lot of the last couple of weeks, where weather has been poor and clourses closed, working on the short game. I am now a lot more confident with it, but that is at the range, lets see what happens when I get on a course again. Hoping to get out on either Thursday or Friday......

Long irons are the weakest part of my game.
That is one area I intend to work a lot on this year.

Depending on the course, my game off the tee.

I don't know about putting pressure on others but when my short game is on it really shows on my score card. I scramble well since I really struggle sometimes off the tee. But I can usually put an iron close to the green from most places when not in the fairway. Last round I hit on 6/18 GIR but had 11 pars and a birdie and two huge disaster holes. Could have easily been the best round of my life if I didn't have the two blow up holes.

Long irons for sure, I would rather hit a soft 3H or hit a 6-7 iron and be short then take a normal swing with the 4-5 irons. I have worked on it and but dont feel comfortable with it. This inturn puts pressure on my wedge play if I lay up, which then puts pressure on my putting. So really im just a mess if im in the 175-200 range.

driving puts a ton of stress on everything else for me

My iron/approach game really puts pressure on the rest of my game. My biggest problem is I don't have 1 miss so I sometimes put myself in bad spots. I also know if I don't have a good drive off the tee my approach game is more likely to struggle.

I am right there with you. The two way iron miss is my nemesis and I bet it adds 3 strokes to my HDCP.

Off the tee

I have to hit greens so as not to chip or pitch. I will 2 putt anyway..

I'm not the longest driver out there but I hit about 70% of fairways and average about 265 yards so between that and my <160 yard game is where I can apply pressure. The two people I play with most will very rarely use a driver but they both have great long iron games which I do not. I like to rope one out onto the short stuff and make them think about using their drivers or make them swing to hard with an iron.

Ambition. 250 yards from a green surrounded by bunkers, I am not ever going to get to the pin in one. Not ever. 8 iron and a wedge, then there is a pretty decent chance of a one putt. Still I can reach for 3 wood and put myself in all sorts of trouble...the part of my mind that connects rational thought to actual decisions seems to take time off when I'm on the course.

I've always played worse the closer I get to the pin. Decent off the tee (when straight) but then my irons are awful. Once in a while I'll put a good swing on the ball but then mishit 2-3 short irons/wedges over the next 50-100 yards.

For me it tends to be the longer clubs in my bag that cause me the greatest issues. It goes without saying that if you don't get off the tee well the rest of the hole becomes that much more difficult and this is something I have been working hard on over the winter months.

Directionally I am better off the tee now than I have been in a long time, and it's enabled me to keep the ball in play much easier. Irons have never been much of an issue for me and normally by chipping and putting is one of the stronger points of my game.

It use to be those "tweener" wedge shots that I would hosel rocket over the cart roof next to me. I got that fixed with a cool little weapon called Herbie so now those boogers are outa here :clapp:. I was coming around with my putting to only like 4 or 5 three putts per round and then the wheels came off! I got the fricking yips with the belly putter now :bulgy-eyes:. Heading out tonight to kick a couple of coyotes in the arse :banghead:

Mine is putting. If I could control the flat stick I'd be a decent golfer

Until recently it was my putting, but I have worked very hard and made great strides. Lately my ball striking has been putting pressure on my game because of having to scramble my way out of a crappy shot. Its another segment of my game that I have improved greatly on, but it still rears its ugly head 1-3 times per round and often costs me 2-6 strokes a round.

Greenside chipping for me, I cant tell you how many times I am just short or off to one side of a green in regulation and then walk away with bogey or worse....it's aggrivating!!

just off to the right about 5 yards.....chunk one short...then blade the next over the green....then chutt on and putt for double.....arrrrrrghhhhh!

Back