2013 Srixon Q-Star - Review Thread

I knew you would like them, dude. How was the spin compared to the RbZ Urethane?

Hard to tell into greens since they'd just top-dressed about 6 days ago. I will say though, it seems closer that I would have expected it to me. This spin skin thing has me a bit intrigued now.

Just got caught up on this one and wanted to say thanks for all the good thoughts. I'm going back to Dick's this weekend to hopefully grab a dozen.

Just got caught up on this one and wanted to say thanks for all the good thoughts. I'm going back to Dick's this weekend to hopefully grab a dozen.

They've sure as heck got me intrigued after 1/2 round buddy.

Plus, the yellow is AWESOME!

I didn't realize they weren't actually for sale the last time I went looking. As for the yellow, I'm excited after seeing the pictures here. Best in business in my opinion.

14 pages, and skimming didn't get me what I'm looking for, so sorry if answered. Any of you guys testing have a high-ish swing speed (low triple digits area)? I'm curious whether I should bother trying these or just wait for the new Zstars to come out ("this summer" whatever that means Srixon)? Limited ball budget.

14 pages, and skimming didn't get me what I'm looking for, so sorry if answered. Any of you guys testing have a high-ish swing speed (low triple digits area)? I'm curious whether I should bother trying these or just wait for the new Zstars to come out ("this summer" whatever that means Srixon)? Limited ball budget.
Oiler, they've held up fine for me in my REALLY limited 9 holes, no issues at all off the tee though. The sleeves on this years actually say up to 105 MPH SS for what its worth!

Hawk, I agree, I played this next to the yellow e6 yesterday and the difference is way more than I thought it ever was.

Give these a try, I am low triple digits and have had no issues through several rounds. I think you will be impressed.

Thanks guys, I'm going into town tomorrow, and assuming they have them I'll get at least a sleeve to try against my old Zstars (hopefully course opens sometime in March).

Has anybody compared these up against the new Callaway hex hot pro balls?

I'm trying these next week. I have to find my Texas Invitational rock!

Full write up when I get home in the morning, but new QStar > zStar Sl in my first head to head round this week. got to play 16 holes while traveling for work. Still undecided about the yellow though.

*TT

Oiler, they've held up fine for me in my REALLY limited 9 holes, no issues at all off the tee though. The sleeves on this years actually say up to 105 MPH SS for what its worth!

Hawk, I agree, I played this next to the yellow e6 yesterday and the difference is way more than I thought it ever was.

Interesting. I'm intrigued by this statement. I love the e6 off the tee and irons. But, I seem to get a lot more role out on chips and pitches than the e5 (both the 2011 model). Is the the Qstar checking up better on the greens but still straight and long off the tee?

I might run pick some up before Sunday's round.

Interesting. I'm intrigued by this statement. I love the e6 off the tee and irons. But, I seem to get a lot more role out on chips and pitches than the e5 (both the 2011 model). Is the the Qstar checking up better on the greens but still straight and long off the tee?

What you quoted above holds true for me. They are comparable off driver & irons but Q-Star is significantly better around the greens than the e6 in my experience.

Off the tee is still up in the air for me as I only had 9 holes on them, around the green though, I much prefer what I saw out of the new Q compared to the e6 I was also playing from the same spots. Time will tell though, I'm eager to get more time with these, I can tell you that.

I took a sleeve of the Srixon ZSTAR SL and the 2013 Srixon Qstar while traveling for work last week, and was able to fit in 16 holes with them. I hit a handful (7-8) off the tee with both balls and found the distance pretty interesting. There were a few where the SL was quite shorter of the tee (normally 1-2 clubs longer on the next shot) than the QStar counterpart, but there wasnt a single hole when both were in the fairway to give a good comparison. The SL seemed to fly higher than I am used to, where the QStar seemed to be my normal flight. This was the same if I teed off using the driver or the 3 wood.

The iron shots seemed to fly similar distanced, maybe the SL 3-5 yards shorter. I wasnt using my clubs (was traveling so I used a set of older demos), so it is hard to compare them both to my normal distances. There was more noticeable rollout with the QStar than the SL, both in the fairway and on the green. I'm not one who ever backs up their shots on the green, but I did see a few hit and stop with the SL.

Around the greens, the SL seemed to have much more spin. My chips/pitches with the SL would normally bounce 2-3 times and trickle out a few feet. The QStars would bounce 2-3 times and roll out another 6-10 feet on average. I wasnt surprised much by this, knowing the SL is advertised to have more control. Neither really bother me too much since the greens werent super fast, I just had to adjust my landing spots for them. I dont focus much on 'feel' off the putter since that is so personal to any person, what putter they are using, etc so I wont comment much on that. I will say neither ball moved me in one way or the other.

Durability is one place I saw a big difference. The QStar seemed to hold up to wedge shot marks much better than the SL. I would say the SL was about the same durability that I used to see on the B330RX when I played them last year. And the QStar seemed to mirror the E6's durability pretty closely. Definitely not as scuffable as some of the premium Nike offerings I have tried the last few years. Unfortunately, both balls took on the same type of marks when I bounced them off the desert terrain :(.

I played the Tour Yellow in both balls and am still not sold on it. I think I am going to go buy a dozen in Pure White and see if I like them better. As of now, I would rather buy & play the QStar over the SL, but it may differ once green speeds increase later in the summer.

Last edited:
Two things here, first, cookie needs to play this ball. Second, I think by the end of the year I'll be playing this ball full time.

I really don't like our Dick's. Aside from the fact that they still have irons from 5 years ago on the rack, they haven't bothered putting the new balls out yet. Tried to stop by another shop, but they were closed. No hurry I guess, but I am jonesing to see them in person.

Two things here, first, cookie needs to play this ball. Second, I think by the end of the year I'll be playing this ball full time.

Haha, that is definitely the truth. I played the Q-Star on the front yesterday and the Z-Star on the back. I am by no means placing fault on the ball, but I will say that I shot 41-48.

The biggest difference for me was spin off of the tee. We had some ridiculous wind (officially it is stating winds gusting at 29 MPH) but even with that, I saw much more movement laterally with the Z-Star than I did the Q-Star.

I was absolutely loving the Q-Star around the greens as I only hit 2 GIR's on the front and yet shot 41 with 2 doubles. I was getting up and down from everywhere and this ball continues to be the best all around ball that I can find for my game.

The other thing that really impressed me with the Q-Star is how well it holds its line with the wind. There were several shots that I played for the wind to push it back over and the ball went exactly where I aimed. Really did surprise me (and my group) that the ball failed to move and it was hard to commit to a shot not thinking it would get moved all over the place.

Ready to get back out with this ball....it is that good.

Damn you all.

I just picked up a dozen. You guys have me intrigued by the Spin skin stuff. If this is better than last years, it might become my full time gamer

Damn you all.

They really are really impressive to me compared to the 2012's buddy. I expected some improvement, but not like this.

Just bought a dozen Pure White's off Amazon, will be waiting on my doorstep Wednesday. $24.99 shipped.

I think I may just go that route as well.

Back