2013 Srixon Q-Star - Review Thread

cool thanks. What ball have you been playing before this?

Bridgestone B330/RX in the summer and Bridgestone E6 in the fall.

I played the Q Star exclusively in my round this weekend. Temps ranged from about 55 to 65 degrees, with soggy course conditions and definitely some wind.

For the last handful of years, I have stuck to tour level balls that are more difficult to compress. Generally, I tried to play either the Bridgestone B330 or B330-S. With that, I think it's a pretty decent sized jump to the Q-Star, but I often play softer balls in the winter months because I believe it's harder to compress in the colder weather.

For the most part, I quite enjoyed my experience with the Q-Star. There were certain situations where I felt the spin rate was too high (mostly off the tee with no rollout) but it did a decent job of grabbing the weather beaten greens. On the green they seemed to roll as true as could be possible this time of year, with a decent softer impact sound coming off the putter face.

There were only a few occasions where I felt the wind really play tricks on me with the Q Star. Enough to cause a couple bad shots, and I learned my lesson with it by the 11th hole, nearly canning a wedge shot from 110 yards thanks to letting the wind help my draw (playing it right of the hole).

As has been mentioned, I think we're all tuned differently, and for me, the yellow just doesn't fit my eye. I will say as far as yellow goes, it's one of the most improved I've seen, but it would still take me a full year to look down and not think 'range ball' or something of that nature. Visually I personally don't find it to help, as I lost two shots in the air yesterday which is uncommon for me.

In terms of cover quality, I played for 17 holes with the same ball until I fatted a wedge into water. Having looked it over the last couple holes, I saw no distinguishable imperfections which really impressed me. Generally I do tend to wear balls down over the course of a round, and I felt the Q Star really did well to hold up to the rigors of an 18 hole round.

For folks in the 80-100mph swing range not looking to spend big money, I think this is a top tier option for 2013.

Nice update, Dan.

Thanks to jlukes I should be able to put these in play very soon. Hopefully this weekend.

Nice writeup, Dan. Great thoughts.

Nice review there Dan, I enjoy reading the experience from guys that are more accustomed to tour level balls and seeing how a mid price range ball can potentially work for them. I think your last sentence described me to perfection!

Nice update, Dan.
Nice writeup, Dan. Great thoughts.
Nice review there Dan, I enjoy reading the experience from guys that are more accustomed to tour level balls and seeing how a mid price range ball can potentially work for them. I think your last sentence described me to perfection!

Thanks guys. Thanks for taking the time to read.

Cookie, I've found that sub-tour level balls either compress too much, or lose a lot of that smooth feedback. As I am not really inclined to give up quality contact feedback, I often end up right back where I started. A big thing for me is the spin rate. I often put too much spin on the golf ball, and that leads to disaster in wind, especially with these mid range, mid price balls. I look forward to seeing your progression with the Q Star this year Michael!

Great thoughts Dan and I agree with you on most aspects there. I've found the ball to launch a little higher off the clubface (that's what it looked, like I'm not sure if that's even possible). Maybe that played into why the wind affected it more? I don't know.

How'd you like it around the greens on chips/pitches? I am used to a little more spin around the greens so it took a little adjusting.

Great thoughts Dan and I agree with you on most aspects there. I've found the ball to launch a little higher off the clubface (that's what it looked, like I'm not sure if that's even possible). Maybe that played into why the wind affected it more? I don't know.

How'd you like it around the greens on chips/pitches? I am used to a little more spin around the greens so it took a little adjusting.

Honestly, greenside I did feel like it rolled out more than I am used to seeing, despite my greens being in pretty rough shape. It's a really bad time of year to consider greenside spin here, though. Probably like chipping in my living room and judging ball spin based on carpet conditions haha!

awesome writeup Dan, and while I havent played this years, I agree it has been a very solid option at a attractive price point. Im going to try these out, the spign of the tee scares me as I ran into similar issues with the B330-RXS late last year as well.

awesome writeup Dan, and while I havent played this years, I agree it has been a very solid option at a attractive price point. Im going to try these out, the spign of the tee scares me as I ran into similar issues with the B330-RXS late last year as well.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.. I do think these play more efficiently for me than the RXS ever could. I think one of the biggest issues (and maybe it's a head thing) is that my swing speed is just outside the ideal numbers for this ball. It should fall right into your ideal speeds buddy.

I'll set a couple aside for you. I'd like to see how they work for your game.

I'm seriously pretty sure this one will be my gamer this year. I know its early, but I'm just SO impressed by it.

I'm seriously pretty sure this one will be my gamer this year. I know its early, but I'm just SO impressed by it.
It will definitely stay in the bag for me. I switch between balls a good bit, but the Q Star has a spot right next to the e5's!

It will definitely stay in the bag for me. I switch between balls a good bit, but the Q Star has a spot right next to the e5's!

We are identical in our thinking then.

I'm thinking with these, the e5's, and the RBZ Urethane's its incredibly nice to have affordable options that work REALLY well for what I want out of my golf ball.

Curious to see how many MC'ers go with this ball.

IMO, it's one thing to play a ball when you are paying for it but when it's being given to you and you still choose it over the true tour level offerings, that really says something about how the ball performs for you.

We are identical in our thinking then.

I'm thinking with these, the e5's, and the RBZ Urethane's its incredibly nice to have affordable options that work REALLY well for what I want out of my golf ball.
Yes sir! $25/dozen, no need to break the bank and spend double all the time.

Yes sir! $25/dozen, no need to break the bank and spend double all the time.

Precisely.

I love how far golf ball tech has come the past couple of years.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.. I do think these play more efficiently for me than the RXS ever could. I think one of the biggest issues (and maybe it's a head thing) is that my swing speed is just outside the ideal numbers for this ball. It should fall right into your ideal speeds buddy.

I'll set a couple aside for you. I'd like to see how they work for your game.

yeah that would be cool, my one gripe with the previous models and the E6's was lack of greenside spin, but that seems to have been addressed with both balls this year (this one more than E6)

yeah that would be cool, my one gripe with the previous models and the E6's was lack of greenside spin, but that seems to have been addressed with both balls this year (this one more than E6)

I would have thought you'd prefer limited spin around the greens... heh...

I hear you. Tough to address that in my game right now based on course conditions, but I do think it's improved all around.

I would have thought you'd prefer limited spin around the greens... heh...

I hear you. Tough to address that in my game right now based on course conditions, but I do think it's improved all around.

for chutting I need no spin lol

And I recognize alot of it is on me and my swing, but even with my hindurances around the greens I can still see some balls react better than others. At $25 a dozen based on what has been posted so far, looking like these might be right up my alley.

Took this ball out for 9 holes today. Put it up against the 2012 model. Greens today were softer than usual but I had no trouble getting this ball to "check". I even backed it up on an 8 iron into the green which never happens for me at a ball in this price point, heck that barely happens to me with tour balls. This is a huge improvment over the 2012 model. Played the tour yellow and love that I can keep track of it easier on tee shots as well as with the irons but still not used to putting with a yellow ball. Only issue for me was visually at address when putting as I am not used to a yellow ball but im sure ill get used to it in no time or there is always the whites. The feel off the tee and irons were great. I was selected to test the e7 and I will say that the e7 probably has less sidespin and was a hair longer than the q star, but I will sacrifice those two MINOR attributes for the added control around the greens and on apporach shots. FWIW i've also tried the 2013 e6 and the Qstar has less sidespin off the tee and more spin greenside for me.

As of right now this is the leading contender to be my 2013 gamer based on price alone. Ive tried many balls recently and still have to get more rounds under the belt with the RBZU to make a decision but one round with the Q star and I loved what I saw.

Tapping away on my S3

Good stuff, XMan. I am with you on the thoughts compared to the e6. It goes a bit straighter for me off the tee, and the greenside spin is undeniable.

I like the ball from what I can tell so far. The yellow is about as close as you'll get to the real thing without a urethane cover. Played one for 18 holes and it's basically perfect, aside from being a bit muddy. Flew high with full shots. Got hung up in the wind a few times, but it was a pretty stout one in the 20mph range. Short shots into the green were pretty quick stopping, but hard for me to give a real idea of that since the ball was plugging in the green half the time. I put quite a few chip shots close, so I suppose it did just what I'd like it to do :D

I don't know what it is, but I do know I like this ball better than last year's version. The color is one of the reasons, but that's not the whole story for me. Greens are still very soft, but I saw some good action with them on the greens, including a 7 iron that came back a foot.

Back