2013 Srixon Q-Star - Review Thread

War Eagle

the Beags of THP...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Rum
The NEW Srixon Q-Star is designed for players who want straighter shots from tee to green, without sacrificing distance or spin around the green. New in the 2013 Q Star is the proprietary "Spin Skin" coating, increasing spin and feel greenside, while new Speed Dimple Technology reduces drag resulting in greater distance.

The NEW Q Star is a game improvement golf ball engineered to go longer and straighter, with all the premium performance you demand from fairway to green.

The Q-STAR is the perfect combination of distance and control off the tee and the spin performance around the green. Coupled with its superior soft feel and visual performance of Pure White and Tour Yellow, the new Q-STAR is out most advanced game improvement golf ball to date.

39d7d431-d4b7-4b1f-870c-cb30b9081a77_zps196cccfc.jpg

Srixon has been quite generous, as rumor has it that they have sent samples of their new Q-Star to the Cleveland/Srixon Morgan Cup Staffers!

This is currently in stores correct?

J.

Several weeks back, our Morgan Cup Tour rep contacted us about doing some prep work with the 2013 line of Srixon golf balls. After going through the online ball fitting, Srixon would send us some balls to compare and contrast.

Well earlier last week, I received the first of my allotment to test. Here are the 2013 Srixon QStar Tour Yellow golf balls. While it is still too early in the season to get much on course action in my part of the country, here are some interesting points and practice thoughts on the 2013 QStar.

- New Spin Skin - Srixon specific coating to help generate more spin and feel around the green w/o sacrificing control on full shots.
- Speed Dimple - 344 dimple pattern for maximum surface coverage creating more distance by having less drag (previous version was 324 dimple)

I like the simple but classy look of the box and sleeves. One thing I did notice though, all text on the back of the box/sleeve. I havent played Srixon balls regularly in the past, so having no graphics at all on the back of the box was new to me.

For my first test, I went out this past Saturday and got some short game practice in with the new QStar. I will preface this by saying we are still in the winter months in Ohio, so everything is pretty damp, and the greens are pretty shaggy.

After spending about an hour chipping and putting outside, I was pleasantly surprised by the QStar. The new cover does seem quite a bit softer or more muted on putts than the Bridgestone E6 (previous version) or Callaway HX Hot I've played recently during the winter months. The chips had pretty good spin for an all around ball, but it was truly hard to judge with the soft and slow greens. I threw down a few Bridgestone E6s to compare, and after 10 chips or so, the QStar seemed to have a bit less rollout than the E6. Pretty similar sounds on the chips though.

My biggest adjustment will likely be adjusting to the Tour Yellow color. I've never played regularly with colored golf balls, only dabbling with the Pink Bridgestone 330RX for a round or two. It was a new experience for me, think it will really take some getting used to. They do really stand out on the grass, so I plan on sticking with the yellow and seeing how I fare.

DSC00072_zps5ff5c63b.jpg

DSC00073_zps57938abd.jpg

DSC00075_zps98e23cb0.jpg

DSC00074_zps97266c9e.jpg

Nice info, DDXU!

I was able to get this out on the course yesterday for some testing, and I will have a full writeup coming later today, but I was without a doubt impressed with what Srixon has done with the Q Star. Distance off the tee and performance around the green was impressive, definitely threw a wrench in my plans for my MC ball for next July.

Here are some in hand photos of the new boxing & balls.

For those familiar with the 2012 Z-Stars, these have the same "glittery" look in hand.

DSC_1008_zps1057ecb2.jpg

DSC_1009_zps4584ac0d.jpg

DSC_1012_zps1a1c643a.jpg

DSC_1013_zpsca1b765f.jpg

DSC_1015_zpsb6ac4c03.jpg

ddxu: great job capturing that glitter finish I was referring to, I could not get that when I snapped the pics!

I played this ball, and only one, for 18 holes yesterday - full writeup in a bit!

Love this picture, Cookie.

ddxu: great job capturing that glitter finish I was referring to, I could not get that when I snapped the pics!

I played this ball, and only one, for 18 holes yesterday - full writeup in a bit!

Looking forward to comparing notes! I will say this, it was a lot longer than I was expecting it to be.

Ryan -
Do you have an official word on pricing? I believe the previous version retailed for $24.99 or $29.99 per dozen.

Are you sure its the 2013 version in stores Cookie?

Yes sir, bought a box yesterday morning (same one that was sent from Cleveland). They actually had the 2012 and 2013 on the shelf.

Ryan -
Do you have an official word on pricing? I believe the previous version retailed for $24.99 or $29.99 per dozen.

$24.97 in Golfsmith yesterday at the register. But they were mistagged on the shelf for $19.97 so that's what I paid for them.

$24.97 in Golfsmith yesterday at the register. But they were mistagged on the shelf for $19.97 so that's what I paid for them.

Nice deal!

I find it a bit interesting when I compare the changes made to this ball versus the Bridgestone e Series. Srixon added 20 dimples to the ball and Bridgestone took away 4 from their ball, yet both trying to get the same result. Longer, straighter and a little more spin.

I am not part of the Morgan Cup staff, but did play these yesterday and I came away really impressed. The compression must be similar to my regular golf ball, because ball flight was quite familiar and distance was solid. What surprised both War Eagle and myself is green side control. On full shots these stopped dead in their tracks on the green, or had one small hop and stop. Around the greens, they offered plenty of spin and control and one shot out of the bunker danced like crazy it had so much spin on it.

Never played a ball with this type of cover that was spinning like this one did and it was a pleasant surprise.

I didn't realize these were in stores already, definitely picking some up today. Don't know if I will go yellow or white.

I didn't realize these were in stores already, definitely picking some up today. Don't know if I will go yellow or white.

I am not sure that they were supposed to be yesterday when I did get them, maybe JB can let us know the official embargo date (which I am guessing is today with this thread going up). Would hate for someone to go into the store just for these and they are not out until Friday or something.

Nice info, DDXU!

I was able to get this out on the course yesterday for some testing, and I will have a full writeup coming later today, but I was without a doubt impressed with what Srixon has done with the Q Star. Distance off the tee and performance around the green was impressive, definitely threw a wrench in my plans for my MC ball for next July.

Id be curious to hear your thoughts on this ball compared to the E6 you are testing as well. Ive always sort of lumped these 2 together in the same catagory mainly due to price point.

I played the 2012 version and saw a piercing ball flight. What are we looking at for '13?

My favorite ball from 2012. Look forward to picking some of these up.

Id be curious to hear your thoughts on this ball compared to the E6 you are testing as well. Ive always sort of lumped these 2 together in the same catagory mainly due to price point.

This is exactly the comparison I am looking for. If it flies straight like the e6, but is softer around the greens, Srixon could have a winner.

Im doing my own testing against the '12 Qstar, and the new e5 and RBZU. Played them all yestetday. The '12 Qstar and the '13 e5 played very very similair

Tapping away on my S3

Interesting. Normally stores only designate "clearance" products with .97. Sounds like your Golfsmith might of been trying to clear old inventory but accidentally put the new ones out there.

I played both last year but the difference was a little distance loss with the e6 and the big difference was around the greens. The Q-Star felt much softer around the greens especially on chip shots. Hardly any roll out. Dont get me wrong, the e6 is a good ball, I just prefer the Q-star.

I am not part of the Morgan Cup staff, but did play these yesterday and I came away really impressed. The compression must be similar to my regular golf ball, because ball flight was quite familiar and distance was solid. What surprised both War Eagle and myself is green side control. On full shots these stopped dead in their tracks on the green, or had one small hop and stop. Around the greens, they offered plenty of spin and control and one shot out of the bunker danced like crazy it had so much spin on it.

Never played a ball with this type of cover that was spinning like this one did and it was a pleasant surprise.
That shot out of the sand had me picking my jaw up off the green. I dont think I have ever seen that much action on a ball. It landed and bit, and I swear it was still sitting there spinning.
I've always lumped them together as well, but the difference I saw between the two yesterday was the spin around the green. If I could best sum it up, I would say they took the long and straight of the e6 and paired it with the green side action and spin of the e5.
I played the 2012 version and saw a piercing ball flight. What are we looking at for '13?
Similar ball flight, piercing and long.

Back