Which poor condition?

Trout Bum

Regional Rival
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Which one poor course condition irks you the most?

I went and practiced at a course close to my house for a bit and all I brought were my putter and sand wedge, the putting green was nice and smooth with a little speed to it and although the bunker felt good standing in it, as soon as I took a swing it was a thud and my ball went flying! It irks the heck out of me when I'm in a bunker and there's no sand underneath and I skull it.

Which poor course condition irks you? Sopping wet? poor sand? bumpy greens? firm fairways? What say you?

I will take a course with so/so fairways and good greens over the opposite any day of the week. I dislike poor greens. If I don't pay a lot I don't mind if there are a few rough patches, but if they don't roll well I'm leaving unhappy.

I don't mind firm fairways at all, who doesn't love hitting 300 yard drives.

Sand conditions on both ends of the spectrum. Either hard and sun baked or full of water.

Pretty much the only poor course condition that bothers me is when the greens are almost un-puttable. I can deal with fairways/tee boxes not being mowed or baked out, and I can deal with poor conditioned bunkers, but when the greens don't roll anything like they should, I get pretty unhappy.

Pretty much the only poor course condition that bothers me is when the greens are almost un-puttable. I can deal with fairways/tee boxes not being mowed or baked out, and I can deal with poor conditioned bunkers, but when the greens don't roll anything like they should, I get pretty unhappy.

I agree with this wholeheartedly

A soggy course. My miss is fat and with soft ground it just gets fatter.

I will agree with the greens being unputtable. I've been spoiled the past 5 years because they built all new TIFF Bermuda greens at my home course and they're spectacular in the summer when everyone else's are dead. Even in the winter, they stay fairly consistent for the most part.

The most irritated I get is because of greens that are so bumpy, it doesn't matter where you aim or are so hard, you can't hit a shot on the green that will stay on. Nothing worse that having to guess how far short of the green you need to hit in order for it to roll up, because if you hit the green, it's going to bounce 5ft in the air and end over way over the back.

I don't like hard tee boxes where you can't get the tee in the ground. Mainly seasonal, but I still don't like it.

Bad greens, like most...

THPing on Tapatalk

there are the things others have mentioned but in the fall, losing a well hit ball in the middle of the fairway due to leaves on the ground is a real frustrating experience.

I have to agree with poor greens, pretty much makes the round for me. Then tee boxes.

there are the things others have mentioned but in the fall, losing a well hit ball in the middle of the fairway due to leaves on the ground is a real frustrating experience.

That's definitely frustrating, especially on the interior of the course when it should be findable.

chewed up tee boxes that aren't well maintained drive me crazy, especially when you can't even get a flat stance. I hate it when I either have to tee up in a divot or stand in one or two just to tee off. Just throws my feel off at set-up and gets in my head, even though I know it shouldn't.

I don't like lumpy tee boxes. If the ball is above or below my feet I feel out of sorts.

Bumpy greens tick me off. Especially when the practice green is crap yet the greens on the course are in good condition, really? C'mon man take care of it all!

The only thing that irk's me is inconsistent greens and lumpy tee's.
At my home course I don't really have too much to worry about as the super and his team do a great job but turning up somewhere else and having lumpy tee's or inconsistent greens is my pet hate. If all 18 greens are a little slow or lumpy I can accept that but if 3 are fast and 6 are slow and 9 are all over the show that really blows my stack and unfortunately has a bigger effect on my game than say bad bunkers.

Luckily I don't play on courses like that very often if at all.

Sand. It annoys me.

Either be bad, or be good, but I HATE inconsistent bunkers. I can handle them being bad, I like them being good. But dont give me one good and one bad.

Poor quality on greens, it just makes it tough to put at some courses!

I gotta go with poor greens as well. Bad fairways or tees you can at least work around but bad greens are pretty much impossible.

I hate bad greens and poorly maintained bunkers

Probably uneven tee boxes. Or variable sand.

I don't like lumpy tee boxes. If the ball is above or below my feet I feel out of sorts.

I agree with you two gentlemen. If I have to spend energy looking for a level section of tee box I get quite cranky, like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.
I think greens that are "putt-able" is a given as well.

Have to say poor greens... I can deal with the rest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Uneven tee boxes no doubt.

The one for me is uneven tee boxes like most have said already.

The secondary one for me is rock hard rough, we have one course in particular that has rough that is like concrete. I almost feel like I need a special wedge so I don't damage any of my clubs.

Last year I had a tee snap while I was pitting it in the ground, and it took a nice chunk out of one of my knuckles. So, I'm gonna go with bone dry tee boxes.

Back