Shaft launch or shaft spin

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
I know that fittings aren't always in the cards and sometimes you have to just go with a want or need. So when deciding on a shaft for your new driver, 3W or what ever. Do you concentrate on the spin or launch of said shaft? What is more important to you?

For me it's spin, I can apply my own launch angle with spine tilt or swing path. What are your thoughts?

Both. Shafts have launch and spin characteristics for a reason. You find what you need and go.

If you need a high launch, mid spin, or a low launch, mid spin, or a mid launch low spin, or a mid launch high spin, there are shafts out there for you.

No need to adapt your swing to anything, theres something out there for everyone.

Me too Freddie. I am way more concerned with Spin. I am a very high spin player and that hurts me way more than launch does.

It's launch for me but that is due to the fact that I don't know much about spin. In my experience, I have seen that most mid launch shafts I get along with when playing a low spin 9-10* head.

My opinion could totally change though if I had normal access to a LM, etc.

I think that launch angle is much more dictated by the loft of the club as opposed to the shaft. So I use the shaft to dial in the spin rate and feel of the club for me.

I just go to Matrix Shafts. They can control launch and spin independently with some of their offerings.

Can somebody explain what makes a shaft produce more spin?

I need more spin and launch well these days.

It's launch for me but that is due to the fact that I don't know much about spin. In my experience, I have seen that most mid launch shafts I get along with when playing a low spin 9-10* head.

My opinion could totally change though if I had normal access to a LM, etc.

Maybe someone with more knowledge than I can interject. But the spin in look for is side spin. Maybe I should be looking at other spin but I need to
Minimize that high right in my game

Can somebody explain what makes a shaft produce more spin?

Once Jman and mrs Jman get off the tea cups in never land, I'm sure he'll drop some knowledge

Once Jman and mrs Jman get off the tea cups in never land, I'm sure he'll drop some knowledge

The main reason I ask is related to my swing. I still have a hard time understanding why I can launch a ball so high with such low spin. It's confusing to me.

The main reason I ask is related to my swing. I still have a hard time understanding why I can launch a ball so high with such low spin. It's confusing to me.

Good swing mechanics?

Honestly, I think it's the opposite lol. I'm talking abnormally low spin (in my opinion).

I was trying to give you credit.

i can't ignore the spin, but for my swing, i focus much more on launch.
at least as of right now, i have a negative attack angle on the ball (which reduces my spin anyways) but it's difficult for me to get good launch, even on higher launch shafts. so when i can get a shaft with good launch angles that doesn't balloon and sacrifice distance, i'll then look at spin to see where i'm at and decide from there.

I just go to Matrix Shafts. They can control launch and spin independently with some of their offerings.

What turned you into such a homer?

My spin numbers are pretty good right now, just looking to get my LA juts a tad. I think the easiest way to do that will to be go up in loft.

What turned you into such a homer?

I hit the RUL in the R1 and really liked the results. I read through Jman's reviews and spoke with Matrix on the phone. I was given some very good information over the phone. They answered all of the questions I had, and there were a lot. Plus, every time I try a Matrix shaft, the results seem to be good.

I hit the RUL in the R1 and really liked the results. I read through Jman's reviews and spoke with Matrix on the phone. I was given some very good information over the phone. They answered all of the questions I had, and there were a lot. Plus, every time I try a Matrix shaft, the results seem to be good.

You gotta love good customer service. I would like to spend more time with their shafts. I was liking the HD6 the VR pro I had.

You gotta love good customer service. I would like to spend more time with their shafts. I was liking the HD6 the VR pro I had.

I am ridiculously loyal to company's with good customer service.

If I only had to pick one it would be launch, but I like to think now I think about both!

Hawk, if you are launching high with low spin that is not a problem.

Have you any idea of how low your numbers are?

I think it is a fairly safe bet that you are well into the + figures for the angle that the face attacks the ball. This means that you will be swinging UP to the ball thereby launching it high with low spin. If you were to have - numbers for attack angle then you would be hitting DOWN to the ball which can still give a high launch but will usually drastically increase spin rates.

When it comes to shafts affecting launch and spin rates they will not only give back spin changes but also side spin changes. As with most swing related things it is a fine balancing act to give low back spin without causing issues of side spin. Having high +/- side spin numbers will hurt a golfer more with in-accuracy than higher backspin would if the shot went straight.

The same shaft in the hands of two golfers with different swing speeds will give vastly different results. It is therefore essential to use a shaft that is correct for your swing speed. The shaft that you have got in the Cleveland is a MID/HIGH launch. This will obviously have some bearing on how the ball reacts.

If you were to use a LOW/MID launch version of the same shaft it 'should' lower the ball blight a little. Don't go thinking that a lower launch rated shaft will drop the ball height dramatically as this also depends upon swing speed. Basically, the higher your swing speed the more difference you will notice with shaft flex changes. The lower launching shaft will often have a lower torque rating which will help reduce shaft twisting.

The different things in the LOW/MID shafts mean that at impact dynamic loft of your clubhead has not changed in a way that adds to the loft of the head, thereby lowering the flight from your current one. What you will prob need to look for is a shaft that is more tip stiff than what you have now.

For example, in my previous driver (R9 TP 9.5 deg) I started with a Voodoo Stiff but I found that it generated way too much height for my. Put a RIP Alpha Stiff in and the backspin reduced which also lowered the flight. I was happy with that, but then started using R 11s TP 9 deg last year. Put my RIP Alpha in it and boy was it inconsistent. Sometimes I had real issues getting a good flight as this thing was LOOOWWWW. Decided to put a RIP Beta 60 Stiff in as it is a higher launch shaft. This worked but I found that the backspin rate was up and into wind the ball would sometimes stall. The answer was to put a RIP Beta X-Stiff 70 in. This had the desired effect as now I had a shaft that naturally launched higher than the Alpha but the combination of a heavier/stiffer flex kept the spin rate down to manageable levels.

Don't get me wrong, I still get some real howlers with it(don't play often enough) but it is the best combo that I have played for years. Thankfully I have access to loads of shafts that I can try as needed. If I didn't I would almost certainly be in a fitting centre trying these things out.

Just remember that if you get on a LM to find the best combo, you MUST use the same ball that you usually play. There is little point using crap range balls that never go straight when getting fitted.

I hope this makes some sense. I tend to waffle on a bit I know. Who knows, If I get into the Grandaddy match, I can brainwash you in person about shaft flexes etc.

Richard

I know that fittings aren't always in the cards and sometimes you have to just go with a want or need. So when deciding on a shaft for your new driver, 3W or what ever. Do you concentrate on the spin or launch of said shaft? What is more important to you?

For me it's spin, I can apply my own launch angle with spine tilt or swing path. What are your thoughts?

This. With my height, spin can be an issue. I really work towards a shaft/head combo to reduce spin.

I look at launch, but I am more concerned with spin. With that said, I would not consider a high launch shaft.

Richard I'll take a closer look at that later. I'm out and about at the moment. Appreciate the response!

Back