Hybrid lofts, I have a few ?s

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
Up until this year I only gamed a 19* and either a 22*-24* hybrid. The first as my 5W and the second to replace my 3i. It's worked well.
Now I'm
Looking at the lofts of the xhot pros and they run 16,18,20,22*. These are tight lofts with small gaps. Are these too close? Should I, we, be looking at traditional 4* gaps or is this the new gaping system. I'm a little confused, any thoughts you can share would be appreciated.

Based on my time with the J40's I would say 3* is too tight. I went with the 3h at 21* and the 4h at 24*. I rarely use the 3h however as I only see maybe 5-10 yards extra but sacrifice some accuracy. I think I would have been better of with at least 4* gaps if not 5*.

I personally think those lots are way too close together. Sure it gives people an assortment of options but I'd never buy them for 5 yards possibly of a difference between the 2 closest. Just seems like overkill to me. Id do 16 and 20 or 18 and 22 though

I think this shows the importance of know your numbers and what you need to fill the gaps.

Think the also brings up the question: are hybrids replacing irons or turning more into just high lofted fairway woods? This question becomes even more apparent when you look at shaft length.

Still go to 4* gaps - Callaway was just trying to give more options at that end of the bag depending on what you wanted to replace. I wish they would have gone to 24* or 26* as we have had several requests for those (obviously Callaway anticipated that players looking at higher lofted hybrids/woods would be in the XHot line).

Up until this year I only gamed a 19* and either a 22*-24* hybrid. The first as my 5W and the second to replace my 3i. It's worked well.
Now I'm
Looking at the lofts of the xhot pros and they run 16,18,20,22*. These are tight lofts with small gaps. Are these too close? Should I, we, be looking at traditional 4* gaps or is this the new gaping system. I'm a little confused, any thoughts you can share would be appreciated.

I think like other said Callaway is just trying to provid options to as many golfers as possible. No reason you need to game all of these. Maybe 1 or 2. THey just have all the options for the masses.

I think like other said Callaway is just trying to provid options to as many golfers as possible. No reason you need to game all of these. Maybe 1 or 2. THey just have all the options for the masses.

I agree with this. I think its more to allow players a way to pick two to cover that 4* gap rather than butting up, say, a 16/18 together.

For me 3* like I have now is as low as I'll go for consecutive hybrids.

Just another reason why I think Cobra's MyFly system is so neat. It will be great to be able to dial in the gaps that work best for my game after getting the clubs vs. having to pick the right loft up front.

I think this shows the importance of know your numbers and what you need to fill the gaps.

Think the also brings up the question: are hybrids replacing irons or turning more into just high lofted fairway woods? This question becomes even more apparent when you look at shaft length.

I think GG is right here. They have pretty tight ranges in the lofts, but really it gives you a better chance to fill the distance gap. Just ignore the number on the club and find the club that gives you the yardage you are looking to fill. I would add to that also the trajectory you are trying to achieve. For me, that brings in looking at some combination of irons, hybrids, and fairway woods to match up both yardage gaps and trajectories since on my home course you have to flight the ball to get over, under, or around trees even from the fairway.

Last edited:

+1

I actually have a true 3iron hybrid in length and shafted with actual shaft from 3iron.

Also play a 17.5 degree but mainly as a fairway wood.

I agree that the lofts are pretty tight. I like 3/4 degrees separation between all the clubs in my bag. Makes for perfect yardage gaps.

Until just recently I used a18* and a 23* hybrid in the mashie line, before that I had the Cobra baffler in 18* and 23* those lofts have worked well for me. I do still use the 18* and 23* but have added some others also.

I think possibly I have gone overboard on everything mashie, but thats not possible....is it?

So my gaps will remain 4*, 16 - 20. Does anyone have 3* of separation

I'm curious about this as well, trying to figure out whether to go 2h/4h (6 degrees in between) or 3h/4h (3 degrees in between) in the Morgan Cup. Those J40 hybrids only have 1/2 inch between each of the hybrids, so I'm a little concerned that the 3 degree gap is too small.

Jman, what yardage gaps are you seeing between your 2 hybrids?

Yes, I keep 3* of separation throughout until I get to wedges and move to 4*. I play 23* and 20* hybrids and move to 17* in X Hot Pro fairway metal. I'm actually thinking of going to 6* separation in wedges and adding a 13.5* fairway metal in the X Hot Pro line. I think 3* works for me at the top end of the bag because it keeps a nice 10-15 yard gap between clubs...

24* and 21* They always worked for me.

I'm curious about this as well, trying to figure out whether to go 2h/4h (6 degrees in between) or 3h/4h (3 degrees in between) in the Morgan Cup. Those J40 hybrids only have 1/2 inch between each of the hybrids, so I'm a little concerned that the 3 degree gap is too small.

I see about 10-12 between my two. I usually use the 22 for more 3/4 shots as it fills a bigger gap for me in my bag into my 5i. Works quite well for what I want, if 23 was an option though, that would have been perfect.

I have 3*, 18, 21, 24.

Hybrids carry farther than irons. So, a tighter gap is needed if you still want 10-15yd between clubs.

Right now I am playing 21* and 24*...but that is going to change with the J40's

I agree with this. I think its more to allow players a way to pick two to cover that 4* gap rather than butting up, say, a 16/18 together.

For me 3* like I have now is as low as I'll go for consecutive hybrids.

This^. Many people don't want or need to drop down into the 16* range as a start of their hybrid clubs.

Ary, I am thinking of going the same way with a 2/4H combo...I feel like I could choke down on the 2H to cover a little of the gap if I need to.

arydolphin you could either go closer lofts and shafts that have more space in length than normal or what I would do would be use loft which are farther apart say 5 to 6 degrees and keep the shafts the same or close to the same lengths. I had a friend who used to have two hybrid clubs that had the exact same shaft length with 4 degrees difference in loft and he said it gave him about a 10-15 yard gap but what he liked most about it was he had a lower ball flight with one for windy conditions. It worked great for him.

Currently playing 21/24 and see a 10-15 yard gap. Still torn on what I will do moving forward

Guess it depends on what you expect from 185 plus. Hitting a green or being around it/maybe hitting it. Would love having another option in the wedges.

Back