The Official Rant of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they are truly a business, why are they not going after someone with proper experience, etc? Or is this business in the sense of basketball and they will also give him golf so they can give him more money? Sounds like they give a damn less about golf.

Unfortunately, from what I have seen a lot of schools treat golf as more of a school "activity" than a sport. Kind of like chess or Spanish club. They put a "coach" in charge to make arrangements for practices and tournaments, but no real guidance. My son went to a school like this when he was in high school. Fortunately my daughter will go to a school with a program that is well organized and actually treated like the other sports. Someone with a passion for the game and kids like Jman has really makes all the difference. Hope it works out for you!

Well I got issues family! Just received the results of my MRI on my neck. It's aunt good at all.
I have moderate to severe narrowing and flattening of the nerves in C2-C7. Also severe arthritis. Neurosurgeon has to be seen. At this time we will manage the pain until we rule out every options to avoid surgery.
This is not what I wanted to hear and I will manage this the best way possible. Just carve out a little spot in your prayers for me if you would. Id be lying if I said I wasn't really worried about the outcome of all this.

That's really tough news to try and get your head around. Will definitely keep you in the thoughts and prayers!

Unfortunately, from what I have seen a lot of schools treat golf as more of a school "activity" than a sport. Kind of like chess or Spanish club. They put a "coach" in charge to make arrangements for practices and tournaments, but no real guidance. My son went to a school like this when he was in high school. Fortunately my daughter will go to a school with a program that is well organized and actually treated like the other sports. Someone with a passion for the game and kids like Jman has really makes all the difference. Hope it works out for you!
This is probably what kept me from playing college golf. I had a "coach", who, while was great to the kids and got us into some decent tournaments didn't really know how to go about promoting his kids that had some skill. Granted I could have taken it on myself or my parents could have, but I went to a small rural school and we didn't really have any guidence on what or where to even begin to promote myself to colleges to play golf. I look back and thats still my biggest regret in life, not playing college golf and chasing that dream earlier in life..

A lot of guys having a tough time in last page or two - my thoughts and prayers are with you all - I hope things work out for you all.

My rant is mild compared to my fellow THPers who are all in my thoughts but I need to put it out there.

I put in for the boys golf job, the kids want me to have the job, the former coach wants me to have the job, parents have even chimed in to the ad wanting me to have the job. Surprise, they are hiring a coach (more than likely it looks like this guy) for the boys basketball job who does golf where he's coming from, and when I say "does golf" I mean goes in the clubhouse and reads and admits to it. This is a program with multiple titles and kids who are passionate about the game, I've been playing with the 1-4 bags about three times a week and have honestly done a lot of good. The problem is I want it SO badly now and when I get passed up I won't be keeping my mouth shut about it. It will be huge mistake, call me arrogant or "entitled" for that, but l know the good I could do with these kids.

I know how you feel, brother. Right now, I know how you feel.

Jman, I know it's not much of a consolation coming from me, but I think you deserve that job. Your passion about the game is only rivaled by your passion for working with kids that you teach. Pairing those two together would not only be a great benefit to the kids on the Golf team, but to you and the entire school as well. Good luck with it all bro.

Thank you ALL for the love, it means more than you know. Its so damn frustrating!

War, you made my day with this, seriously. Thank you.

Thank you ALL for the love, it means more than you know. Its so damn frustrating!

War, you made my day with this, seriously. Thank you.
No problem buddy!

Jman,
That sucks. From my short time meeting & talking with you, the kids are the ones missing out.
Hopefully this will all work itself out but if not, I know a few guys that don't have necks I can call. A tire iron to the knee and he'll understand.

JMan.. If I was on the golf team I would petition and not play if you weren't my coach. Just sayin'

I would complain about this stupid Georgia traffic....

But Jman, dude if they don't pick you it's a travesty. Sounds like someone may potentially need a headbutt or two or twenty.

I really don't know what this golf team would be looking for in a coach. A quick 10 minute conversation with James and it would have to click that this was the right guy for the job. I mean, seriously, what the heck are they looking for and waiting for? Butch Harmon? Jack Nicklaus himself to apply?

Being 2 over through 11 and then still shooting 85 is just really frustrating

I really don't know what this golf team would be looking for in a coach. A quick 10 minute conversation with James and it would have to click that this was the right guy for the job. I mean, seriously, what the heck are they looking for and waiting for? Butch Harmon? Jack Nicklaus himself to apply?

It sounds to me like they don't really give two shakes about the golf team, and just want to use it as a bargaining chip to get the basketball coach that they want.

It sounds to me like they don't really give two shakes about the golf team, and just want to use it as a bargaining chip to get the basketball coach that they want.

Ding, ding, ding.

I'm trying to hold out hope, but, that only does so much.

Well, it's stupid. I'm sorry. You gotta guy that obviously will put his heart and soul into this program and would be a great leader for these kids and another program is going to dictate whether he gets a crack or not. I'm not an educator/coach, so I have no clue how this stuff works, but it would probably be in my best interest to surround my kids and program with the best candidates, even if it means having coaches with separate job titles. Easy for me to say I guess.

Well, it's stupid. I'm sorry. You gotta guy that obviously will put his heart and soul into this program and would be a great leader for these kids and another program is going to dictate whether he gets a crack or not. I'm not an educator/coach, so I have no clue how this stuff works, but it would probably be in my best interest to surround my kids and program with the best candidates, even if it means having coaches with separate job titles. Easy for me to say I guess.

Sadly its very simple and happens all the time. I will use a bad analogy and explain.

Lets say Nick Saban goes to Bama and says "Im leaving".

They say "No, dont leave, what will it take to stay?"

Nick says, "I need $2500 more a year".

So they pay it. At the high school level, you do not have a choice to give more money, so instead, you give them another job that means little work to them, but gives them the extra money they want to take the job.

The school gets the guy they want, for a sport they feel matters more. The guys gets his money. And the only loser is golf, but to be fair, while we love James and know how great he would be, we do not know the other man and maybe he is learning how to coach golf and does right by the program.

I hear ya brother, but its all about the dollar and making the program that MAKES money look more attractive to a candidate. I've done what I can, hell, I even mentioned I'd do it for free if they'd just get me an athletic period.

Maybe it will all work out though, I've got a lot of people in my corner, so if nothing else I know some people do see how badly I want it.

Sadly its very simple and happens all the time. I will use a bad analogy and explain.

So they pay it. At the high school level, you do not have a choice to give more money, so instead, you give them another job that means little work to them, but gives them the extra money they want to take the job.

The school gets the guy they want, for a sport they feel matters more. The guys gets his money. And the only loser is golf, but to be fair, while we love James and know how great he would be, we do not know the other man and maybe he is learning how to coach golf and does right by the program.
I agree with all of that Josh, you're dead on. Its a business in the end, and thats why I got out of football, I got burned.

On to the bold, I wouldn't be as upset about all this if he hadn't flat out said he just sits and reads books during practice and tournaments where he is at now. Thats what urks me with a program with a LOT of tradition in it.

Unfortunately Jman wouldn't be the only loser, the kids lose as well.

But I mean school is the about the kids or anything.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

Unfortunately Jman wouldn't be the only loser, the kids lose as well.

But I mean school is the about the kids or anything.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

When it comes to coaching and sports dude, its about business first.

I just hope it all works out. I know it's easy to be partial to James because we see it here and you see it when you meet the guy and we obviously don't know the other guy in the hunt.

The South is making me soft. I was pumped to go play golf today after class, but then it changed from sunny to cloudy and dropped about 10* so I decided not to go. Apparently 55* and cloudy isn't golf weather for me anymore. I suck.

The South is making me soft. I was pumped to go play golf today after class, but then it changed from sunny to cloudy and dropped about 10* so I decided not to go. Apparently 55* and cloudy isn't golf weather for me anymore. I suck.
See! It happens! You get used to the warm, then a temp change happens and it catches you off guard.

See! It happens! You get used to the warm, then a temp change happens and it catches you off guard.

Why play in cold if I don't have to? There's no need to suffer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back