2013 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did not help that my off day consisted of terrible eating but whatever, its been a while. Been feeling way off track lately, even though I am not doing anything bad, even on my good days I feel like crap, kinda depressing.

Back at it dude. No negativity !! Just get back at it

Jordan

I used to do those when I played basketball in my 20's and early 30's. Great exercise - but you REALLY have to listen to your body, and I wouldn't do them more than twice a week - very taxing. The minute form breaks down, stop. I used to do something like them in certain cycles a few years ago but only with a heavy medicine ball. I will actually hold the medicine ball chest high, squat and jump on the bench, while raising the ball over my head. I haven't done them in a while, and now that I'm 47 maybe I shouldn't lol - but I think now that I have dropped 25+ pounds maybe I can give them a go.

Great work! Training like an athlete is always more fun!

Great advice right there.

Did a different DDP Yoga workout last night. I cant believe the amount of sweat that poured off me. That stuff is no joke. Back and knees feel great again today. Had a Trop 50 OJ, organic frozen strawberry and mango smoothie and a 2 egg w/ peppers, onions, and salsa omelette. Feel so much better since starting this. It is helping because even though we are "dieting" in the morning and through the day and working out at night we are still have sensible dinners and stuff we like. I dont even care about looking at the scale, I just feel so much better.

That is huge man. Feeling better is such a big part of it. Really glad to hear that.

I changed my mind and did Jillian Michaels 6 weeks to a 6 pack level 1 work out. I have a feeling I'm going to be sore tomorrow. I liked that she mixed a lot of cardio in and everything worked your core or your back.
My wife has been doing some JM videos and likes it. She is hard core!!!

Workouts have not started as of yet. I had a minor procedure done and it required a few stitches and was told no physical action for a week. My week is up on Saturday. BUT, I have been eating a ton better. I've cut out most or all grains and breads and have stuck to more fruits, veggies, meats and nuts. Lost 3 1/2 lbs in 1.5 weeks by just eating better. Crazy isn't it. Can't wait to get it down even more starting this weekend.

Did my first 4 mile run today and felt real good about it. I had said i'd do a leg of a marathon avg 5.5 miles but now i'm confident i can do a half marathon 13.1 miles. If training keeps going the way it has been i'll be flying.

Super excited to do this

Did my first 4 mile run today and felt real good about it. I had said i'd do a leg of a marathon avg 5.5 miles but now i'm confident i can do a half marathon 13.1 miles. If training keeps going the way it has been i'll be flying.

Super excited to do this

Thats awesome man, keep up the great work!

SO today was the final weigh in for the biggest loser contest 10 of us THPERS were doing.

On Jan 1 I weighed in at 264
On Apr 1 I weighed in at 209.4

54.6 lbs lost or 20.68% of ym total weight, not sure on how many pant sizes it will be but I was pushing a 40 and suspect Im between a 34-36 right now. To really put this into perspective, I weighed my oldest daughter who is 7 years old on Friday and she weighed 55 lbs, so I basically lost an equivalent of her.

Never in my wildest dreams could I imagine this kind of success. This was something that needed to be done a long time ago as I come from a family that has tons of medical issues pretty much across the board. As time went on I became less and less active, and called riding around in my golf cart "exercise". NO motivation at all to make any changes, and just became content with being overweight and who I was. That all changed in December! I gotta give a shout out to some people that helped along the way:

My wife: Without her support and help along the way, I wouldnt have had a snow balls chance of achieving this success. Her support and encouragement along the way helped keep me going and she really jumped on board when it came to preparing healthier meals for me.

This thread: One of the best ideas ever on this site, was great having support along the way.

Group of 10 THPERS that did the weight loss challenge: Thanks for hopping on board and pushing through to the finish line.

P4B: Thanks for the heads up on the Myfitnesspal website, truly a life saver.

War Eagle: First off thanks for thinking my idea to do this contest was a good one and running with it. But more importantly thanks for being a friend that held me accountable and was there to support me through all of this. Your success kept me motivated to keep going and throughout the 3 months you were nothing but encouraging, I really appreciate it. Having an accountability partner along the way is huge, and that is evident in the fact that the tow of us alone lost 100.7 lbs in 90 days together!

I'll end this by saying if a big lazy SOB like myself can make this kind of change, anyone can. Yes it takes hard work and motivation, but what can be more motivating than wanting to live long for for wives, kids or family that you have. This was all achieved without setting a single foot inside of a gym, which tends to be a lot of people's excuses for not exercising, etc.

Thank you THP, this site continues to be such a blessing in my life, and now its become for me something truly life changing.

Congratulations Mike, that is just simply awesome!

I will follow mikedeans post up with one of my own. Right before Thanksgiving last year, I joined a gym and decided to try and lose weight. I worked out for about 3 or so week and saw no progress, and pretty much was resigned to the fact that I was going to be around 230 lbs for the rest of my life. I was alright with that, I guess, seeing as how at my biggest in life I was around 330 lbs. I just kind of figured I had lost weight when I was younger and now I would just maintain where I was. So with that, I got lazy and decided I didnt need more exercise. Some time in December, I was talking with MikeDean and we were discussing doing a Biggest Loser contest with a few guys on THP, and actually didnt think anyone would be interested or take it serious, but all I knew was that it was a competition and I wanted to change myself. So, as some know, and many dont, 10 of us THPers decided in late December to start a Biggest Loser type competition running from 1/1/13 thru today 4/1/13. I needed motivation, and I needed a goal, and this was it.

I stepped on the scale right after Christmas, and was at 241 lbs.

Over the next three months, I completely changed my lifestyle in regards to diet/nutrition and activity levels. I started a Boot Camp exercise class the 2nd week of Januray running through the end of February 3X/week. I got the Insanity DVDs and when I had some free time I would do a quick workout. But, most importantly, I started monitoring what I was eating, counting calories and just overall trying to eat food that helped my body.

My wife was extremely encouraging, she helped me at the house with coming up with great, healthy meals that we could have as a family, that wasnt tasting like cardboard. She pushed me in the mornings to wake up at 4:45am to go to the Boot Camp classes, and pushed me on the weekends to go for a run even though we have 2 small kids that take up most of our time. She knew I wanted to change myself, and helped me along the way more than I can ever describe.

MikeDean- Dude, together we have lost 100+ lbs in 3 months, that is unreal. All I can say is Thanks. The texts daily about being starved. The constant Calista Flockhart jokes. But, most important, the motivation. For those that dont know Mike, let me tell you something, when the guy gets something in his head, he doesnt let anything get in his way of getting to the goal. Having quickly learned this about him, I knew I was going to have to push myself to even try and hang with that guy. Thanks for pushing me dude, without the constant banter back in forth, I would not have been nearly as motivated.

P4B- You motivated me a ton. Having seen you at the outing last year, and then in Myrtle for the MC, it was amazing. Then following your journey on myfitnesspal seeing you grind it out day in and day out, I knew I had to step it up if I wanted to be like Jake. Thanks man, your success over the past year has been incredible, and it lead me on the right path, as well as provided some much needed motivation to get off my butt.

So, Boot Camp started back up again this morning, and I am still grinding these classes out. My goal is no longer weight loss, but it's time to tone up a bit.

I stepped on the scale this morning, and I weighed in at 191 lbs. A 50lb drop since 1/1. As my wife informed me this morning, I have lost the equivalent of both of my kids (2 year old daughter is 26 lbs, 7 month old son is 24 lbs). To me, that is mind blowing. And as someone who at one point in time weighed 330 lbs, down to 240 lbs, and now down to 191 lbs, I cant even begin to describe how happy I am with myself. I've tried many times over the past few years to get down to that 200 lb mark, and it just never happened. Finally, a bit of motivation and a "want to", and I did it.

Incredible WE, just incredible dude.

WarEagle and MikeDean - absolutely fantastic posts.

Inspirational. Thanks guys.

I'm two weeks away from finishing up P90X, and it feels great. My posture, the tone of my muscles, everything is really turning out exactly like I had hoped.....except the lack of 6-pack abs. Don't get me wrong, I've burned a lot of fat around my gut, but I've come to realize that it's going to take more time. Not sure I could have ever accomplished a 6-pack in 90 days.

Still, I'm probably in the best shape I've been in since high school. So now I'm getting ready to move on. I want to keep the weight training up, and I'm thinking 3 days a week for it. I love opposing muscle supersets, but I don't know that many. I'm thinking I'll be lifting weights 3 days a week. So does anyone know some good 30 minute long superset workouts?

Second, I'm going to start running for my cardio, but I like a little variety. I'm somewhere between trying to train for maybe a 10k, or just doing running and other cardio exercises. Anyone know some good outdoor cardio exercises other than running? And please don't say swimming. I'd love to swim, but I live in the middle of nowhere and I don't have access to a pool.

~Rock

Awesome stuff WarEagle and Mike!!!

Really cool stuff Mike and Ryan!!! You guys should be very proud of what you both did! Congrats!

Way to go guys. Some super hard work being put in. I like it

Just read the posts, wow man, Mikedean and WarEagle, you guys are beasts! Just goes to show what hard work, dedication and goal setting will do, excellent job you guys and keep it up!

I went to work out yesterday morning, turns out my gym was closed for Easter. So I went back home and told the wife I was going to the high school field to do something, and took my dog. Ended up doing bear crawls and short uphill sprints ( while my dog was licking my face during the bear crawls! ) for 10 minutes and a long fast walk to cool down. I haven't done bear crawls in forever - especially uphill ones! My legs were mush and I didn't take my heart rate, but it had to be close to 175 when I was done them! Then I went home, jumped on the stability ball and did weighted crunches and planks.
I went to the gym this morning and did 10x5 incline presses with 65's and supersetted them with 10x5 assisted pull-ups using various grips. Then did 5x5 leg presses supersetted with stiff leg deadlifts. My legs are pretty much toasted - only a light cardio day tomorrow!

MikeD, WE - great work - fantastic results! This thread has been a true inspiration it appears! Just remember - fitness and health isn't a destination - it's a lifestyle. Keep up the great work!

SO today was the final weigh in for the biggest loser contest 10 of us THPERS were doing.

54.6 lbs lost or 20.68% of ym total weight, not sure on how many pant sizes it will be but I was pushing a 40 and suspect Im between a 34-36 right now. To really put this into perspective, I weighed my oldest daughter who is 7 years old on Friday and she weighed 55 lbs, so I basically lost an equivalent of her.

Never in my wildest dreams could I imagine this kind of success. This was something that needed to be done a long time ago as I come from a family that has tons of medical issues pretty much across the board. As time went on I became less and less active, and called riding around in my golf cart "exercise". NO motivation at all to make any changes, and just became content with being overweight and who I was. That all changed in December! I gotta give a shout out to some people that helped along the way:

My wife: Without her support and help along the way, I wouldnt have had a snow balls chance of achieving this success. Her support and encouragement along the way helped keep me going and she really jumped on board when it came to preparing healthier meals for me.

This thread: One of the best ideas ever on this site, was great having support along the way.

Group of 10 THPERS that did the weight loss challenge: Thanks for hopping on board and pushing through to the finish line.

War Eagle: First off thanks for thinking my idea to do this contest was a good one and running with it. But more importantly thanks for being a friend that held me accountable and was there to support me through all of this. Your success kept me motivated to keep going and throughout the 3 months you were nothing but encouraging, I really appreciate it. Having an accountability partner along the way is huge, and that is evident in the fact that the tow of us alone lost 100.7 lbs in 90 days together!

I'll end this by saying if a big lazy SOB like myself can make this kind of change, anyone can. Yes it takes hard work and motivation, but what can be more motivating than wanting to live long for for wives, kids or family that you have. This was all achieved without setting a single foot inside of a gym, which tends to be a lot of people's excuses for not exercising, etc.

Thank you THP, this site continues to be such a blessing in my life, and now its become for me something truly life changing.

Mike, this is AMAZING. So unbelievably impressed with what you have accomplished. Congrats with everything

I will follow mikedeans post up with one of my own. Right before Thanksgiving last year, I joined a gym and decided to try and lose weight. I worked out for about 3 or so week and saw no progress, and pretty much was resigned to the fact that I was going to be around 230 lbs for the rest of my life. I was alright with that, I guess, seeing as how at my biggest in life I was around 330 lbs. I just kind of figured I had lost weight when I was younger and now I would just maintain where I was. So with that, I got lazy and decided I didnt need more exercise. Some time in December, I was talking with MikeDean and we were discussing doing a Biggest Loser contest with a few guys on THP, and actually didnt think anyone would be interested or take it serious, but all I knew was that it was a competition and I wanted to change myself. So, as some know, and many dont, 10 of us THPers decided in late December to start a Biggest Loser type competition running from 1/1/13 thru today 4/1/13. I needed motivation, and I needed a goal, and this was it.

I stepped on the scale right after Christmas, and was at 241 lbs.

Over the next three months, I completely changed my lifestyle in regards to diet/nutrition and activity levels. I started a Boot Camp exercise class the 2nd week of Januray running through the end of February 3X/week. I got the Insanity DVDs and when I had some free time I would do a quick workout. But, most importantly, I started monitoring what I was eating, counting calories and just overall trying to eat food that helped my body.

My wife was extremely encouraging, she helped me at the house with coming up with great, healthy meals that we could have as a family, that wasnt tasting like cardboard. She pushed me in the mornings to wake up at 4:45am to go to the Boot Camp classes, and pushed me on the weekends to go for a run even though we have 2 small kids that take up most of our time. She knew I wanted to change myself, and helped me along the way more than I can ever describe.

MikeDean- Dude, together we have lost 100+ lbs in 3 months, that is unreal. All I can say is Thanks. The texts daily about being starved. The constant Calista Flockhart jokes. But, most important, the motivation. For those that dont know Mike, let me tell you something, when the guy gets something in his head, he doesnt let anything get in his way of getting to the goal. Having quickly learned this about him, I knew I was going to have to push myself to even try and hang with that guy. Thanks for pushing me dude, without the constant banter back in forth, I would not have been nearly as motivated.

P4B- You motivated me a ton. Having seen you at the outing last year, and then in Myrtle for the MC, it was amazing. Then following your journey on myfitnesspal seeing you grind it out day in and day out, I knew I had to step it up if I wanted to be like Jake. Thanks man, your success over the past year has been incredible, and it lead me on the right path, as well as provided some much needed motivation to get off my butt.

So, Boot Camp started back up again this morning, and I am still grinding these classes out. My goal is no longer weight loss, but it's time to tone up a bit.

I stepped on the scale this morning, and I weighed in at 191 lbs. A 50lb drop since 1/1. As my wife informed me this morning, I have lost the equivalent of both of my kids (2 year old daughter is 26 lbs, 7 month old son is 24 lbs). To me, that is mind blowing. And as someone who at one point in time weighed 330 lbs, down to 240 lbs, and now down to 191 lbs, I cant even begin to describe how happy I am with myself. I've tried many times over the past few years to get down to that 200 lb mark, and it just never happened. Finally, a bit of motivation and a "want to", and I did it.

Cap, same goes out to you my man. What you have done is remarkable

Fantastic work guys. Absolutely phenomenal.

Very nice going on the weight loss Ryan and Mike. Proud of you both. That was a great improvised work out BigBall, you really don't need a gym with that work out.

War and Mike, congrats on all that you have achieved to this point! It is truly amazing and you are both inspirations to many here on THP, it goes to show you that if you set goals and work hard to achieve them there is no limit. You have showed people no matter what losing weight and living a healthier life IS possible. Yeah it isn't easy but rarely are things that are worthwhile.

Again guys it is has been a blast reading your progress and following along with your stories of success! Great work and keep at it.

Mike, War, congratulations on the achievement you have both managed and I hope you both keep up the good work and feel better for it

Mike what you and War Eagle have done is truly amazing! Proof that the main ingredient to achieving health is the resolve to get it done. Well done guys!

Thanks for all of the congrats everyone, it means a lot and I look forward to reading up on everyone else's success stories as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back