The Official Tiger Woods Thread

For me, if TW wins it will be forever tarnished if he did infact break the rules. Of he breaks Jack's record, which he will, it will be asterisk in the history books.
I'm with JB and think this will be glossed over and nothing will be done. I hope they do the right thing

I agree Freddie, sometimes the bigger win is doing the right thing for the game itself. It kills me that this is even happening, but this is the truest test of character.

He won't be DQ'd that would be suicide for this tournament for this year.

I disagree about the tournament ratings. The Masters is the one tournament worldwide that is immune to who is on the leader board.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

From what I just read/heard on golf channel, he did not break a rule while using option B of the rule.

On a selfish level, this would wreck the entire tournament for me if he is DQed

Here's what ultimately is going to happen. Fred Ridley is going to be the person who makes the final decision. If he says the drop was within a reasonable distance from the original spot, then it's not an issue.

I agree Freddie, sometimes the bigger win is doing the right thing for the game itself. It kills me that this is even happening, but this is the truest test of character.
I am anxious to hear the outcome. Are we all wrong? Did he to break a rule, I have no clue. My eye and knowledge of the rules say yes. But I'm not being asked.
He won't be DQ'd that would be suicide for this tournament for this year.
I don't think anything could tarnish this event. It's not like people are going to fold up their chairs on 18 and go home.

I disagree about the tournament ratings. The Masters is the one tournament worldwide that is immune to who is on the leader board.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
the causal fan is watching because TW is in the field. They leave and ratings drop. They are watching to see two aussie's relinquish the lead.

I don't get all the "The Masters would never DQ him" stuff. If they thought there was a violation, they'd snuff him like a Lucky butt.
Just the idea that nobody seems 100% sure of what option of what rule is in play...its time to simplify the rules.

But if the Masters decides it's a violation, he's gone. Ratings won't be a consideration.

Hmmm. I'm sure ratings will drop if Tiger is ruled out. Ultimately however, it doesn't matter. I would like to see Tiger win, but by the same rules as the rest of the field.

Just curious, is the Masters the only other major that doesn't keep a rules official with the group? I can't remember if the British Open does.

He should DQ himself... It's the only way the worlds number one can uphold his integrity and respect for the rules of the game.

If he plays, Augusta is going to have to make a statement why they allowed him to play. They don't want their image tarnished either. Augusta is the one place where the leader board and tv ratings won't have an effect on the outcome.

The rules are rules. Tiger broke them, and the only reason we know this is because he SAID he dropped the ball two yards back from the original spot!

Just my two cents.

Tap tap taparoo

"A tournament spokesman told Golf Channel early Saturday morning that they have no news to report" No news is good news for Tiger, right?

33-7. Disqualification Penalty; Committee Discretion
A penalty of disqualification may in exceptional individual cases be waived, modified or imposed if the Committee considers such action warranted.

Any penalty less than disqualification must not be waived or modified.

If a Committee considers that a player is guilty of a serious breach of etiquette, it may impose a penalty of disqualification under this Rule.

Think we need to get a poll set up for this:
Should Tiger be DQd
Should Tiger DQ himself
NO violation of the rules

"A tournament spokesman told Golf Channel early Saturday morning that they have no news to report" No news is good news for Tiger, right?
I agree cc, the longer this goes on the better for Tiger's chances of continuing play.

Spoiler
You looked sharp in that limo in the picture on FB :thumb:

I am anxious to hear the outcome. Are we all wrong? Did he to break a rule, I have no clue. My eye and knowledge of the rules say yes. But I'm not being asked.
I don't think anything could tarnish this event. It's not like people are going to fold up their chairs on 18 and go home.

the causal fan is watching because TW is in the field. They leave and ratings drop. They are watching to see two aussie's relinquish the lead.

The tournament committee in Augusta don't care about ratings. Last years event was one of the top five rated Masters of all time by television viewership. Tiger finished T-40 and was not featured on tournament coverage the final day until he played 18.

The Masters may be the only event worldwide that is exempt from the "Tiger meter".

In "exceptional individual cases"? That's fair...

Tap tap taparoo

In "exceptional individual cases"? That's fair...

Tap tap taparoo

It's probably to protect certain players that something REALLY CRAZY happened too and a DQ would be just plain nasty. Not sure how I feel about it, but it could help Woods in this case.

Apologies if this has been said before but is the issue here not the intent? The idea being that it may not be possible to know exactly where the last shot was taken from, hence the phrasing of the rule ("close as possible"). Tiger intentionally didn't drop as close as possible, hence the problem?

Just a thought.

Apologies if this has been said before but is the issue here not the intent? The idea being that it may not be possible to know exactly where the last shot was taken from, hence the phrasing of the rule ("close as possible"). Tiger intentionally didn't drop as close as possible, hence the problem?

Just a thought.

Correct.

Did he have a rules official there? If so, did the rules official say he was OK to drop it there?
That was the first thing I thought of!

A lot of posts feel a DQ is warranted because of what Tiger said. It doesn't matter what he said; it's where he actually dropped the ball that will be reviewed.

Back