True Temper DG Pro Shaft Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Great job Jman. Been waiting for this review. These shafts sound like they are true winners. Hearing that they help with getting the long irons launch up and the short irons launch down sounds very beneficial for a golfer like myself. Glad to hear that you were so impressed with these shafts.

Some good information right there. I am glad to see DG putting out shafts that are not only solid but helpful. Maybe some long irons will stay in the bag instead of being replaced by hybrids.
I’m looking forward to getting a set in some clubs for some long term play. Thanks again James.

Great job Jman. Been waiting for this review. These shafts sound like they are true winners. Hearing that they help with getting the long irons launch up and the short irons launch down sounds very beneficial for a golfer like myself. Glad to hear that you were so impressed with these shafts.

I liked that as well. Maybe you see these shafts allowing people to put a 4 or a 3 iron back in the bag instead and take a hybrid out. It will be interesting how it affects that area and people's setups.

Great review here James, bringing us information on a new product where literally nothing out there existed about how these are supposed to perform and what type of golfer they are intended for.

I really like the idea of the PROgressive set and it makes complete sense given how tough it can be for me to get the longer clubs up in the air while not having that issue with the shorter irons.

Thanks for speaking very well to the "feel" issue commonly associated with DG iron shafts, will be interesting to see if these make it into bags out on tour.

Nice review James. Love to see something new in the DG line up. Sounds like they have done their homework. I really like the idea of the softer tip in the long irons. This may be the shaft that helps put long irons back into my bag.

Awesome writeup James! I remember you raving about these things in Texas, and those who hit them seemed to say the same.

Really nice to see the DG line taking what seems like a massive step forward with these. Hopefully they will continue to build off of this

I like it. It seems like this might be a little more accessible to the golfer that doesn't want the heavy and stiff DG's, but isn't ready to drop to an across the board high launcher like the the XP. Seems like a new take on flighting and I'd love to give them a try.

JMan! I really enjoyed this process with you, between the updates on THP and first hand comments about these shafts, it was a fun process to follow along with. As I mentioned on the review page, I think DG seems to have put together a great competitor of the flighted concept without going to that extent. Very intriguing to say the least.

Read the review earlier and found it very interesting but I do have a question about how the irons are stepped and the resulting flight pattern

I would have thought that the shorter irons would be better having the higher flight too to assist with a steeper rate of descent and a softer landing? To me, if you have a lower flight path then you could be seeing more roll-out from the short irons?

Then again, I could be completely wrong, and it all depends on how you strike the ball in the first place to guarantee the softer landing?

Read the review earlier and found it very interesting but I do have a question about how the irons are stepped and the resulting flight pattern

I would have thought that the shorter irons would be better having the higher flight too to assist with a steeper rate of descent and a softer landing? To me, if you have a lower flight path then you could be seeing more roll-out from the short irons?

Then again, I could be completely wrong, and it all depends on how you strike the ball in the first place to guarantee the softer landing?

The whole principle is based on the fact that very few golfers have any issues getting their scoring clubs (in the case of the DG Pro's the 9 and PW) up into the air, rather they can actually lose them to ballooning into greens because of spin or against the wind. The PROgression of these shafts simply flattens the trajectory a bit in those two comparatively while not sacrificing spin to hold the greens.

I'm hoping that I get to hit a club with these shafts installed at some point. I don't have a huge problem hitting the ball high until it gets to the 5 iron range, so the softer tip in the long irons intrigues me. What intrigues me more is the short iron shafts, I hit the ball pretty high with those clubs, I'm wondering if the lower trajectory will cut the spin rate a little more and help those shots not get batted around by the wind as much.

I'm hoping that I get to hit a club with these shafts installed at some point. I don't have a huge problem hitting the ball high until it gets to the 5 iron range, so the softer tip in the long irons intrigues me. What intrigues me more is the short iron shafts, I hit the ball pretty high with those clubs, I'm wondering if the lower trajectory will cut the spin rate a little more and help those shots not get batted around by the wind as much.

Precisely what I saw in this crazy Oklahoma wind buddy.

I have been waiting for the full review on these and you certainly did a great job doing it. I am noticing a little loss of height and distamce on my long irons in the past year and these may be just what I need to get it back and maybe even enhance them a bit. I'm a career TT DG S-300 player and really like them a lot. Thank you for an exceptional review!

The whole principle is based on the fact that very few golfers have any issues getting their scoring clubs (in the case of the DG Pro's the 9 and PW) up into the air, rather they can actually lose them to ballooning into greens because of spin or against the wind. The PROgression of these shafts simply flattens the trajectory a bit in those two comparatively while not sacrificing spin to hold the greens.

Much appreciated sir, that makes perfect sense and thinking back to my round at the weekend I can see the reasoning behind it, having had a few shots come up slightly shorter due to the wind

I was wondering if the spin would be affected too much with the lower trajectory but they have obviously got it just right

nice job on the review!!

This was a great review, I loved now you broke down each shaft category and I learned a lot reading this. Like you, most of my iron sets up until last year came with the DG S300 and while I can't ever say I hated them they definitely didn't provide the feel and performance of some of the other shafts I have since opted for. It's nice to see TT back with a good option, I tend to think they might have a better chance of getting these shafts out to more people if they simply went with an entire different name for this line though, just to break away from the line of thinking that you (and many others) had when they first heard about this shaft.

Great work as always, thanks!

Very nice JamesMan. These are definitely a different beast and feel seems to be the best part about them (besides the new tech). You were stroking these shafts with consistency all freakin day dude. Love the review.

Awesome review James, it really reminds me of the similarities of a flighted type iron shaft, sounds like :TrueTemper: has a winner on their hands for sure!

In that case I could maybe put a 3 iron and possibly a 2 in the bag with the higher ball flight.

I have been waiting for the full review on these and you certainly did a great job doing it. I am noticing a little loss of height and distamce on my long irons in the past year and these may be just what I need to get it back and maybe even enhance them a bit. I'm a career TT DG S-300 player and really like them a lot. Thank you for an exceptional review!

Just keep in mind, they ARE DIFFERENT than the S300's of old, I can't say that enough. This is a different shaft entirely with a similar name.

In that case I could maybe put a 3 iron and possibly a 2 in the bag with the higher ball flight.

I'll be curious, when/if we hear a release on these finally if they will offer a 2i shaft to us mere mortals, could be interesting. I'm not JRod good enough to carry a 2i myself...hehe. It would be fun to try though.

This is a ridiculously good review. I learned so much about these shafts that I look forward to trying them out myself. Great info Jman.

This is a ridiculously good review. I learned so much about these shafts that I look forward to trying them out myself. Great info Jman.

Thanks buddy, that, I truly do appreciate. These will be in tow at the Outing, I can guarantee that.

another great review from Jman.

i like the progressive nature of the shafts' trajectory. it's interesting to see what it does with the scoring irons...

Thanks Tyno. They're definitely an interesting take on things, thats for sure. I'm STILL enjoying them post review, hell I'm about to sell my C-Tapers.

Back