2013 Srixon Q-Star - Review Thread

I played this ball for a few holes yesterday alongside the Z-Star and the B-Stone B330-RXS. The Q-Star doesn't have quite as much spin as the other two, which is expected, but I do like the ball off of the driver and the irons. One thing I noticed was that it seems to "jump" off the face on chips and pitches; definitely launches higher than the other balls I was playing. I hit a couple really good shots with the Q-Star, but I prefer the Z-Star and XV over the Q-Star.

If I had to choose today, the new QStar Pure White would be my ball of choice this year. The greens here are still soft and slow, so I will be interested to see if the QStar spin can hold up once the greens get more fast and firm. I just dont see enough of an improvement on these greens to stomach paying the extra $20 for the XVs.

I can't blame you. I like the ball, I just prefer a ball with more spin around the greens. I too want to see how this ball performs for me with firmer fairways and greens.

Played nine holes with these with my pro in a playing lesson. Gave him one to try and he usually plays a ProV1. He loved it and was impressed with the feel and playability , and I combined them with my ATV wedge for great effect with two shots from 40+yds out hop and stop 2ft from the pin. birdie time ...
So I still love these although I cannot compare them with last years as this is the first time I have played them .

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Q Stars do not perform well when hit off of coral.

I was big fan of the 2012 Q-Star but started playing the new version of the Soft Feel in the Fall and Winter months (also a great ball for the money). Bought a dozen of the new 2013 Q-Stars and have been very impressed with them. I was concerned that it might spin more with the driver than the old Q-Star but that wasn't the case. It stays pretty straight and even holds its line well in the wind. Feel (to me) is great off of the driver. Those with high swing speeds might find it too soft, but for me it was great. Same thing with the irons. Nice high ball flight with plenty of spin. I played a course with pretty firm greens this past weekend and didn't have any trouble holding the green. I play for a little bit of roll-out on chips and pitches so this ball fits my game pretty well. I would say it has a little more spin around the greens than the previous Q Star, but it's not going to rival a urethane covered ball. I've also been playing some AD333s and Callaway Hex Hots and the new Q-Star is just as long off the tee and spins better around the green. The Hex Hot doesn't seem to spin at all around the green. For those on here that like the AD333s, check your local Dick's Sporting Goods. Our local store had them on clearance for $9.99.

I played these for the first time today and I have to say I'm very impressed. I normally play a prov1x but the local courses still have wet spots where balls plug and you can lose them. I picked these up after reading all the great reviews and can't say I have anything negative to say about them. I was able to stop them on every green and they had such a great feeling while putting. Straight off the tee as well. When greens dry out I would like to see how well they hold but if it's anything to close to like it is today, it will be hard for me to justify paying an extra $20/dz for the prov1x

Played this ball today and really like it. I am a high spin player, so this stops just fine for me around the green. Off the tee, they are high and long and the durability is top notch. Didnt lose a single ball today, which is also a plus.

Played this ball today and really like it. I am a high spin player, so this stops just fine for me around the green. Off the tee, they are high and long and the durability is top notch. Didnt lose a single ball today, which is also a plus.

This is good to hear JB. I would like to get a chance to game these in OH. I am a high spin guy as well, so this would be quite beneficial for me as well

Had my course nearly to myself today, and played 2 balls. Played one of the old Zstars, and one of the new Qstars. For both balls, this was the 3rd round played, and neither have any marks on them that would make them look used when I cleaned them after the round.

Greens are still pretty soft so couldn't compare spin, but I can say when both balls landed in the fairway, they were of similar length, with the Q being maybe a couple of yards longer. Though I got my first birdie of the year when I thinned a 9i from 150, it landed on the front edge and stopped within 10 feet of the mark. Then holed the 8 footer!

Colour wise, the Q isn't comparable to the Z; I call the Q a mustard yellow, and the Z a highlighter yellow. Love the Z, just like the Q. Oh, and shot 77 with the Q and 77 with the Z.

Question for other users: Do you notice it collects dirt more than most balls? Hitting both balls, and most going in similar spots, I found the Q collected a lot more dirt/mud than the Z. Could easily have been luck, but was very distinctive, I noticed it on nearly every hole; the Z was clean once on the green and the Q nearly always had to be well cleaned before putting. Will keep an eye in the future.

I noticed it does pick up dirt a little more I think it is possibly the spin skin and the nature of its design. I can handle cleaning it off for the extra performance I am getting.

I noticed it does pick up dirt a little more I think it is possibly the spin skin and the nature of its design. I can handle cleaning it off for the extra performance I am getting.

I was thinking this new spin skin too. My problem is if it still happens when it dries up, b/c it's bad enough that once there's no lift clean and place (though I drop not place) it could possibly be a problem from fairways.

Love the Q-Star one the the best balls i have ever used.

Today got out for 18 holes. I have been playing the same ball now for 3 rounds. Today it was a wet one with a light rain on and off all day. On hole 17 i hit driver off the tee and i notice a weird noise coming off the ball in the air. Once i get to the ball i see why the noise.

1yFBF7L.jpg

So i guess i will have to retire this ball.

I get 1 round out of a ball. I have old grooves so still chews up a little once I get my new irons will probably squeeze some additional holes out of the ball.

Continue to play and continue to love this ball. All I have played for the last few months. As far as longevity goes, I have played the same ball up to 36 holes but usually start to see scuffs appearing (trees, cart paths, etc).

Straight, good distance, adequate spin, durable.....all I need in a ball.

And I rock the yellow proudly!

Continue to play and continue to love this ball. All I have played for the last few months. As far as longevity goes, I have played the same ball up to 36 holes but usually start to see scuffs appearing (trees, cart paths, etc).

Straight, good distance, adequate spin, durable.....all I need in a ball.

And I rock the yellow proudly!

Cookie, have you tried out the Z Star SL? Any thoughts between the two?

Cookie, have you tried out the Z Star SL? Any thoughts between the two?

Have not yet but I do have a sleeve that War Eagle sent me not too long ago. Was honestly waiting until I was hitting the ball well until I put them in play....think I am at that point now and they shall be tried shortly.

I want to go through the B'stone ball fitting @ demo day first, but I really am about 95% sure these will be my gamers....in yellow of course! The performance and price is just truly there for me. Definitely enjoying them every time I put the into play.

Nice thoughts cookie, glad you found a ball that fits you well. I am interested to see what you think of the Z-Star SL though too.

I want to go through the B'stone ball fitting @ demo day first, but I really am about 95% sure these will be my gamers....in yellow of course! The performance and price is just truly there for me. Definitely enjoying them every time I put the into play.

That's awesome to hear Jman. They are definitely a good ball at that price point.

This has been my gamer for the last couple of months. It really suits my game right now. If it wasn't for this forum, I would never have given this ball a chance at all.

I have played a few more rounds with this ball and continue to be amazed. I picked up a second dozen in tour yellow to try those out this weekend. Wish I didnt buy my prov1x and hex black tours befor trying this at the start of the season.

I played 9 holes with the white version in weds and still came away happy. The greens were a bit firmer ban they have been so far this season, but i was still able to control them when i removed my head from my ass on chips and pitches.

I don't spin the ball much so it was nice to see it hold up when the course starts to dry out from all the rain.

I have played a few more rounds with this ball and continue to be amazed. I picked up a second dozen in tour yellow to try those out this weekend. Wish I didnt buy my prov1x and hex black tours befor trying this at the start of the season.

At this point I will no longer say I am amazed by the ball, just amazed by the performance I get at the $25 price point. These things sure beat the hell out of the NXT Tour I have played off and on for several years. That says a lot, bc I used to love and defend that ball to the max.

Played 9 yesterday with the tour yellow. To my surprise, I didn't lose it. Ball felt great off irons and only rolled out a couple of feet on approach shots. My chips checked up nicely, but rolled out more than the HEx Blacks I usually play with. Understanding that, I was able to get the ball close. The spin skin is definately an upgrade from last year version. Ball checks up a lot better. Overall a great ball, especially for the price point. Going to play this weekend and put it up against the E6.

anyone with a higher SS find these to not fit their game?

anyone with a higher SS find these to not fit their game?
I wouldnt say that I have a higher swing speed, but off the tee and for longer clubs I definitely prefer the Z Star.

Back