2013 Srixon Q-Star - Review Thread

I picked up a dozen of these today. KellyBo and I will check them out tomorrow.:golf2:

I picked up a dozen of these today. KellyBo and I will check them out tomorrow.:golf2:

Interested to hear your thoughts Bill, especially since you have spent some time with Bridgestone's latest offerings lately.

I played one Q-Star ball my entire round yesterday. I was probably 11 for 14 in the fairway. The distance off the tee was at least equal to the E6 and Lady iQ+ that I've played most recently. I struggled a bit on the front but settled down on the back. One thing I noticed was my iron shots were going longer than I had seen in the past and they were checking up a lot quicker. I hate being above the hole on our fast greens but found myself there quite a few times after hitting solid iron shots. I don't know if it was because there was little to no wind and warmer temps or if the ball is just longer. I think this ball MIGHT be my new ball. More testing to come to find out.

Last edited:
I played one Q-Star ball my entire round yesterday. I was probably 13 for 14 in the fairway. The distance off the tee was at least equal to the E6 and Lady iQ+ that I've played most recently. I struggled a bit on the front but settled down on the back. One thing I noticed was my iron shots were going longer than I had seen in the past and they were checking up a lot quicker. I hate being above the hole on our fast greens but found myself there quite a few times after hitting solid iron shots. I don't know if it was because there was little to no wind and warmer temps or if the ball is just longer. I think this ball MIGHT be my new ball. More testing to come to find out.

Great stuff KB! Can't say that I am surprised though as I got in another 18 yesterday and these continue to be everything that I want in a golf ball - plenty long, very receptive around the greens, and good action off the irons.

Add in the fact that they are $25/dozen and I continue to have zero desire to try another ball.

Played the Trispeed Tour up to now. Can't wait to get out and try the Q-star this year.

taptalking my way to a lower score

KellyBo was just raving about these balls this morning! I did not try them yesterday, but will soon :thumb:

I still can't find the 2013 Q-Star in my area,
But 2012 Z-Star are going for $29.00 a box.

How do these stack up around the green compared to say the v2 gamer if anyone has played them both?

I played a Q-Star today for a few holes after having played the Z Star XV for quite a while.

The left/right dispersion appeared to increase with the Q Star, however greenside spin was as good IMO. I was able to get solid backspin with 3/4 and full swing wedges and didn't get much of any run on full shots into the green with the Q Star. The cover stayed strong throughout and I didn't see any cuts or anything in the ball after the 7ish holes I played with it.

I do think the cover is a bit softer than the XV which doesn't surprise me that much based on the compression numbers, so I'd actually argue it's a bit more enjoyable to putt.

Distance wise I didn't see a big difference in iron shots, but I didn't hit drivers side by side to compare. In terms of height, I think there's a touch more with the Q Star, but it seems to be not a balloony type of height at all. Really quite solid.

I am still struggling to get used to the yellow, but believe it's the best yellow I've seen.

KB - nice thoughts. Glad you liked the ball and glad you were hitting it well!

Dan - great thoughts as well. Sounds like we are seeing similar things and have the same thoughts on yellow balls. I do like the Q-Star but I wish it had a bit more spin around the greens. That could be me though, so I'll give it another shot soon.

I am going to Golf Galaxy tomorrow and will hopefully pic up a pair.

I played a Q-Star today for a few holes after having played the Z Star XV for quite a while.

The left/right dispersion appeared to increase with the Q Star, however greenside spin was as good IMO. I was able to get solid backspin with 3/4 and full swing wedges and didn't get much of any run on full shots into the green with the Q Star. The cover stayed strong throughout and I didn't see any cuts or anything in the ball after the 7ish holes I played with it.

I do think the cover is a bit softer than the XV which doesn't surprise me that much based on the compression numbers, so I'd actually argue it's a bit more enjoyable to putt.

Distance wise I didn't see a big difference in iron shots, but I didn't hit drivers side by side to compare. In terms of height, I think there's a touch more with the Q Star, but it seems to be not a balloony type of height at all. Really quite solid.

I am still struggling to get used to the yellow, but believe it's the best yellow I've seen.

So you saw more dispersion with the Q stars than the Z stars. Interesting.

So you saw more dispersion with the Q stars than the Z stars. Interesting.

I saw larger misses left and right. It could have been a swing thing, it was just what I took away from it.

I honestly just don't see how these won't be my gamers this year. The performance and pice-point are both eye openers for me so far.

I agree on your thoughts with the height, cover softness, and the adjusting to the yellow. I ordered a dozen white ones of Amazon and will game those next time I get out.

I would like to thank everyone in here for the reviews of the Q-Star. I was able to get out for a round on Saturday and was able to use the Q-Stars for the first time. I was not sure going in anything would replace the Bridgestone e6 I have been using but was more than pleasantly surprised at the performance of the Q-Star. Overall the ball performed better than I expected. As everyone kept reporting, it has the straightness of the E6 off the tee coupled with the spin around the green. The performance around the green made me a convert. I had at least 7-8 chips that normally would roll out past the hole with the e6 than checked up and stopped with the Q-Star leading to tap in putts. I couldn't believe the versatility/durability of the ball overall. I used 1 ball the entire round and at the end it almost looked brand new, except for one scrape from a tree. I think I have found my new gamer, now I just need Dicks and GG in my area to actually carry the ball so I don't have to keep ordering online.

I would like to thank everyone in here for the reviews of the Q-Star. I was able to get out for a round on Saturday and was able to use the Q-Stars for the first time. I was not sure going in anything would replace the Bridgestone e6 I have been using but was more than pleasantly surprised at the performance of the Q-Star. Overall the ball performed better than I expected. As everyone kept reporting, it has the straightness of the E6 off the tee coupled with the spin around the green. The performance around the green made me a convert. I had at least 7-8 chips that normally would roll out past the hole with the e6 than checked up and stopped with the Q-Star leading to tap in putts. I couldn't believe the versatility/durability of the ball overall. I used 1 ball the entire round and at the end it almost looked brand new, except for one scrape from a tree. I think I have found my new gamer, now I just need Dicks and GG in my area to actually carry the ball so I don't have to keep ordering online.

Glad to hear it, thanks for checking back in and giving your thoughts.

I have practised my short game yesterday and played nine holes with these today. Both myself and Ranger junior played with a Q star . I normally play an E6 or NXT tour , the E6 is not as soft around the greens but is longer than the NXT tour for me.
Putting it bluntly I freaking love these balls...feels soft but long off the long irons and woods....scoring irons could work these...punch and cut shots today because of the wind ...and wedges got an 80yd approach shot to back up 6 feet today...huge grin when I did that.
The short game practice yesterday was the same soft feel and predictable roll or hop and stop...loved them.
Ranger junior quote ..."best ball I have ever played like it more than the Penta" the wise words of an 11 year old!
So I will be keeping these and getting more smuggled across from your fair shores...its a great ball...if you haven't tried it ...find some and try them you wont regret it...its my preferred choice now ...come on SRIXON bring them to the UK!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Ok, I picked up some Q-stars the other day and practiced with them and put them in play today. I will say these are a very good ball for the price and had very nice spin for a surlyn cover ball. I practiced chipping with these and was surprised I got them to check almost as fast as a urethane ball. The Q-star was pretty straight off the tee and I agree mishits are less punitive than a premium ball. I liked playing the Q-star and will put them in play as a back-up ball to my urethane balls.

I have played 3 rounds with the Q-Star. Today I reached in my bag to get a ball and there was a beat up Q-Star and a bunch of my beloved Precept Lady iQ+. I chose the Q-Star. Love this ball! Too bad OG only gave me a sleeve of the dozen he bought. Might have to find where he's hiding the rest of them.

I played with this ball last weekend and was really impressed.
Distance of the tee was good and it didn't punish me too much on a few mis hits where I can slice the ball. It still slices, but not more than I'd expect.

I wondered how it would do on shots in the 30-80 yard range and I was really impressed. I'm not a high spin player but I do think this stopped better for me than the E6.

The only con for me currently is that even the 2013 feels "harder" off the putter to me than the E6 I played last year, but I'm getting used to it and putted very well.

As much as I wanted to play the Z-Star, I'm 95% sure this will be the ball I play in the morgan cup this year.

Given the z star line is 29.99 right now wonder if it's worth the small premiumover the q star

Given the z star line is 29.99 right now wonder if it's worth the small premiumover the q star

I think it really depends on what ball is best for your game. Both Srixon and Bstone have online fitting mechanisms.

Really annoyed the new Zstars aren't out until August, so today I finally found the new Qs in store and decided to try a dozen. I'm at the top end of the recommended SS, but keep reading good things on here so want to give them a shot. Gonna do some putting with them tonight to compare the feel with my old Zs. The only observation I really have at the moment is that while the yellow is okay, it's not nearly as nice as the Z yellow. It's similar to most others out there, but not nearly as nice as the shiny Zs imo.

Back