How many prefer walking over riding?

I would much prefer to walk but two things make it difficult to do so: (1) the herniated disk in my back and (2) idiot golf course managers who think that riding is faster than walking. More to point #2, it is a rare course here on Long Island that even allows walkers on the weekends. In season (which is obviously only a few months), the courses are so packed with hackers that rounds would be slowed. The sad part is, you can't finish a round in under 5 hours whether you're walking or riding, so I don't understand that logic. The USGA and other golf governing bodies need to step up and educate the managers and the golfers about how to improve pace of play and the health benefits of walking (not to mention it costs less). The game would improve so much if people played faster, which would allow more walking, which would mean more rounds that people could afford.

I can deal with my lower back pain, but not being allowed to walk is the tough part.

I prefer to walk unless:

1) I'm playing 18 with someone that really, really wants to ride
2) The cart fee is included (rare around here)
3) It is hotter than the face of the sun, as it was much of last summer

I would much prefer to walk but two things make it difficult to do so: (1) the herniated disk in my back and (2) idiot golf course managers who think that riding is faster than walking. More to point #2, it is a rare course here on Long Island that even allows walkers on the weekends. In season (which is obviously only a few months), the courses are so packed with hackers that rounds would be slowed. The sad part is, you can't finish a round in under 5 hours whether you're walking or riding, so I don't understand that logic. The USGA and other golf governing bodies need to step up and educate the managers and the golfers about how to improve pace of play and the health benefits of walking (not to mention it costs less). The game would improve so much if people played faster, which would allow more walking, which would mean more rounds that people could afford.

I can deal with my lower back pain, but not being allowed to walk is the tough part.

This is an issue around here as well. I've actually started frequenting courses that are more walker friendly due to this.

I prefer walking when playing at my home course. Tend to prefer riding when playing at other places or with other THP'ers. Cart time = more chatting time (best served with other THP'ers)

Depends on the course. Walking with a caddie is ideal, but obviously rare. I walk most of the time, but I'm fine with riding and might prefer it some times. So long as I'm golfing.

I walk. Simply put, I believe it's the way the game was meant to be played. Some courses, like TCI to those familiar from last years outing, are just not meant to be walked. In that case, I ride.

Always enjoyed walking over riding. Now that I got a Clicgear I like it even more.

I love to walk and do it as often as possible.

I like to walk. One reason is at $18-22 dollars for a cart every round is robbery.

I prefer to walk most of the time but if I'm playing with a group that all prefers to ride then I'll also ride. League night I walk every time though, no point in riding as pace of play is usually pretty slow so it's a very casual walk.

I'll walk when I can, but wont be 'that guy' who demands to walk when the other 3 want to ride. I dont mind paying the cart fee as long as the carts are worth the fee we are paying. I dont think divot sand tubes, a windshield, and enough power to get us around is too much to ask. GPS & coolers are added bonuses.

I prefer to walk most of the time but if I'm playing with a group that all prefers to ride then I'll also ride. League night I walk every time though, no point in riding as pace of play is usually pretty slow so it's a very casual walk.

Definitely helpful on weekends too if you're not playing in a full foursome.

I definitely prefer walking, but I cheat and use a push cart. I feel like I kind of get in a rhythm more when I'm walking versus riding. Sounds weird, but I think I do.

I prefer walking. Often even if I am on a cart in our group I will walk a couple holes.

Its a matter of tempo for me I guess, I get into a better flow while walking.

I also hate being on a cart when the person driving seems to hit every bump and jostle.

I almost always walk, because as others have said, I believe it is the way the game should be played. However some courses are a bear to walk because they were designed for riding, or they actually require a cart - in those cases I ride. Also a lot of times the discount tee time sites only have tee times with a cart, so in those cases I ride as well.

I walk probably 95% of my rounds over a year, there are a few events and tournaments that I ride in, but it's almost all walking with my clic gear push cart!

I ride probably 75% of the time as that's what the group I play with does. However, if the weather is nice (not too hot) and I'm playing by myself or with a group of walkers, I'll walk.

I walk 95% of the time, mainly for exercise and cost its $7 for 18 holes walking with my season pass vs $14 if you ride.

I find a cart really difficult. Breaks my rhythm. However, I don't play somewhere that gets really hot! Planning to play in the US in August. In Texas. Told some friends that I was going to walk. I think that they are still laughing....

I just like to enjoy the round of golf. Walking provides that

I walk whenever I play with my usual playing partners so about 85-90% of the time - the other 10-15% I play with my Dad who has a bad back so we walk.

I have carried one time in the dead of summer and it was brutal. Thats was about 10 years ago. I bought a clic gear last year and its still in the box, I really want to break it out and start walking but will not do that in summer.

Back