Play The Next Shot - What Would You Do?

268 to the middle makes it probably 250 to front edge and 285 to the back edge. No chance my 3 wood goes over. I would want to know how much to cover the bunkers. Narrow fairway assumes the trees left and right could probably come into play. With thick rough and "okay" lie, I don't like 3W, here. Any mishit and you may not get the ball out of the rough, or worse, put it in the left bunker. I probably hit a 4h and leave a perfect distance for my 60*. If I don't have a high degree of confidence on that, I punch a 7 or 8 iron out to 130-140 for a PW.

Normal round of golf: Hit a 7i to about 100 yards out and then a 54* on from there. Only caveat is the distance to those bunkers short of the green. If they are in the 100 yard range, I probably play a different iron (maybe an 8i) to avoid getting into them.

If I'm pressing: 3W -- swing away. (Then likely punch out of the trees...)

I'll take my 3 wood and try to hit it as hard as i can to get as close to the green as possible. My 3 wood is my favorite club and the one i have the most confidence in, so if I'm playing for fun, I'm going for it.

In a match that matters somewhat, i'll hit out with a 7 iron to give myself a perfect SW into the green.

If the rough isn't bad and I can get a club on it, I'd probably make an attempt with a hybrid. Just short and left or right don't appear to be trouble, and best case I catch a flyer. No way I'm hitting a hybrid 290 into trouble.

This isn't Internet golf, Dan. It's real life. :D

Why lay up in the same areas that the bunkers are?

Cause I'd be in the fairway.
The bunkers don't appear to be too close together so there should be plenty of room between them. I feel more comfortable with a hybrid/wedge pitch shot than I would a 8 iron/full pitching wedge or something myself.

Hate to be the one to say it, but I'd probably pull my three wood and try for the front edge of the green. It's at the very-extreme range of how far I can hit my 3, but playing from the left rough, I can aim right, taking trouble mostly out of play for my draw, and swing away. The worst trouble is long and even with the wind at my back, I'm not ending up there from 268+. And the Mashie fairways absolutely love that 'in the rough but not sitting down' lie. The ball may as well be teed up. If I catch it just right, the ball should land around the front of the green and run back. If I miss, the ball should be short and in the vicinity of the green. I'd hope my short game would get me home from there.

3h nice and low to as close to the green as I can get. Would probably leave me 80 - 85 yards, so an up and down from that distance in the fairway is probably the best I can ask for.

According to awesome golf galaxy sims, that's in my wheelhouse with my pending Classic hybo.

Sorry I'm not sorry!

Yep. They guy at Golfsmith had me hitting the Rocketbladez 7i 265 -- with five yards of back spin.

I take my 4 hybrid hit it out to 85-100 yards depending on how it comes out of the rough and then have a go at the green with my sand wedge. Hopefully 2 putt for a nice bogey.

Yep. They guy at Golfsmith had me hitting the Rocketbladez 7i 265 -- with five yards of back spin.

I knew a guy like that once, but he could only get to 265 with his 25* hybrid. You're on another level sir.

I would actually play to just short or long of the fairway bunkers. Depends on how far out they are. I would want a 100 - 120yds in. Easy wedge into the green and try to one put, but would be happy with a bogey.

Thanks for doing these JB! Love playing the game. A lot of times on these I really do go with feel and how I'm looking at the hole. Do I feel comfortable, can I cut it or does it require a draw, how is the lie (too hairy?), how elevated is the green and would a 3 wood even get there? If the answer is yes on the majority of the questions that happen in about 10 seconds then I always try and go for it. However, there are times that I just don't feel the shot or it does not look good to my eye for whatever reason. SO....I'd try and take a club that would get me 100-110 yds out so I could take a full shot to the green and try and save par.

I love playing this game!

I hit a hybrid to about 60 yards out and wedge it up and down for a 4.

This for me as well. Amp Cell Hybrid is one of my favorite clubs to hit in this type of situation.

Thanks for doing these JB! Love playing the game. A lot of times on these I really do go with feel and how I'm looking at the hole. Do I feel comfortable, can I cut it or does it require a draw, how is the lie (too hairy?), how elevated is the green and would a 3 wood even get there? If the answer is yes on the majority of the questions that happen in about 10 seconds then I always try and go for it. However, there are times that I just don't feel the shot or it does not look good to my eye for whatever reason. SO....I'd try and take a club that would get me 100-110 yds out so I could take a full shot to the green and try and save par.

This is me as well, but I would never get there with a 3W. Same thought process, I would just have a pitch into the green.

The ball looks to be in thr rough, hopefully its a fdavorable lie and not buried in the cabbage (like mine seem to be lately!) I would hit a 7i out to leave it at/just before 100 yds., then would leave me with a 53* wedge into the green. Hope is the wedge would get me close for a chance at a 1-putt for par, worst case i'm 2-putting for bogey.

If the lie is decent and I'm able to get the club on the ball, I'd pull 3-wood and give it a whack.

If the lie was gnarly and there was going to be a lot of grass between the club and the ball, I'd pull a 9i and try to get to around 100 out and try to save par.

Love this game! Thanks JB...

For me, it would be 7i to 120 or so, 9i in, 2 putt bogey

Well regardless if this is a par 4 or par 5, assume par 5. I'm pulling 3 metal or 5 metal and knocking it on.

I'd layup short of the bunker and then take my chances at making a 4 from there. My 3 wood maybe goes 240, so I'm not likely to reach the green from there anyway.

Assuming this is the MC, the crappy drive would of been mine so I look to my partner and say.. "your shot " then wait to see what he does with it.

The bunkers don't appear to be too close together so there should be plenty of room between them. I feel more comfortable with a hybrid/wedge pitch shot than I would a 8 iron/full pitching wedge or something myself.

I agree w/ my captain. Studies have shown that for most amatuers being more aggressive is the better option. I would try to get it past the bunkers and get a wedge in my hand.

Whatever the yardage is to the two bunkers parallel to each other is as far as I'm hitting it. That's as far up as I can hit it presumably without any trouble coming into play. At that point it just comes down to what's the yardage at that point vs laying a little further back for a full number.

Well regardless if this is a par 4 or par 5, assume par 5. I'm pulling 3 metal or 5 metal and knocking it on.

Now this is a decision I can get behind!

tumblr_lhpcacICPP1qfvas3o1_500.jpg

...I kid, I'd probably end up getting myself in more trouble hitting 3W :laughing:

I did this exactly this past weekend. I pulled my 2h which I managed to crank all the way out to 260. I hit it well out of the rough too so that would be my play. No reason to play it safe!

Back