Play The Next Shot - What Would You Do?

6i from the rough leaves me a perfect wedge out. Easy.

If in fwy I would've said AMP driver off the deck and let it fly.

PW to 130 or so leaving pw/gap in from there steering clear of the bunkers.

do what I did yesterday, grab my 3 w, and stick it on the green... :)

Just crious, for those of you that are saying an Iron out of the rough and then a wedge into the green, why the iron first? Surely it's easier to get out of the rough using a wedge giving you a clean shot to the green with your iron

It does and it doesn't. We all want to keep from dropping shots, but sometimes a bogey is a great score from where you put it on the tee shot. I'd be ok with 5 on that hole more often than sad about it

I guess my point was that few are shooting even par. So the number itself is technically completely irrelevant.
Every stroke is a counted stroke, so whether its a putt or a layup to a number, it counts the same.

my mashie hybrid would put a slight draw on the ball, bringing it right back into the fairway anywhere from 75-50 yards in.
that's an easy wedge into the green.
and as i stand over this shot, i'm already thinking bogey is good and to escape and take your licks, but par is definitely obtainable...so focus and hit 2 precise shots and drop the putt.

If the rough is good enough, I put a hybrid on it and try to get in the 70-90 yard range. If that's not doable, I hit an iron - probably something in between 7 or 9 iron.

My thoughts exactly. Play a safe hybrid and get within 100 yards (especially since I can't hit a 3 wood worth a darn).

Just crious, for those of you that are saying an Iron out of the rough and then a wedge into the green, why the iron first? Surely it's easier to get out of the rough using a wedge giving you a clean shot to the green with your iron

In the original writeup, JB said the rough isn't that bad. If it's not that bad, I don't see why I couldn't get an 8i-pw on the ball and still be able to get it out no problem. If it's thicker than I anticipated, then go down to a wedge and hit an iron clean. All personal preference.

I guess my point was that few are shooting even par. So the number itself is technically completely irrelevant.
Every stroke is a counted stroke, so whether its a putt or a layup to a number, it counts the same.

I see what you're saying. What's your club choice on this hole?

6i to just under 100 yards then use a wedge to try and get it close. maybe a 5i if the rough is quite thick. This situation is eerily familiar, but always on the right side :)

In the original writeup, JB said the rough isn't that bad. If it's not that bad, I don't see why I couldn't get an 8i-pw on the ball and still be able to get it out no problem. If it's thicker than I anticipated, then go down to a wedge and hit an iron clean. All personal preference.

I see what you're saying. What's your club choice on this hole?

7 iron. Its a club of confidence. Should leave me around 105 left which is my 50* if I choose to go full swing or a 3/4 PW. Gives me a chance at up and down for par save. However more so than that, it puts confident clubs in my hands and gives me the best chance at eliminating a big number.

7 iron. Its a club of confidence. Should leave me around 105 left which is my 50* if I choose to go full swing or a 3/4 PW. Gives me a chance at up and down for par save. However more so than that, it puts confident clubs in my hands and gives me the best chance at eliminating a big number.

u said it much better than me

Bolded for accuracy.

The strokes count all the same, but par is still important. 270 out, you want to limit yourself to making bogey at worst on a par 4. A par 5, you know you can still layup and give yourself a possible good look at 4 depending on your next shot, but no worse than 5.

I disagree - and getting over worrying about "par" as a score on any individual hole really helped my game. Any time I step up to a shot, I want to make the play that gives me the best chance of the lowest score while mitigating the risk of a high score. So, whether this is a par 4 or 5, I'm going to play the shot that I believe gives me the chance at the lowest score (I'd be thinking 4 in this situation) without being too risky. If my best shot at 4 is to go for it, then do. If my best shot at 4 is laying up, then do that. Par is irrelevant.

Snap hooked from my Galaxy S3

Smaller green equals harder to hit with a full swing iron. I'm taking the 2h and banging it to leave my a nice pitch in to the green.

THPing on Tapatalk
what? You can miss a large green with an iron. The size of the green should have no bearing on this shot, at least it doesn't for me.

Question - why does it matter whether it's a par 4 or 5? The strokes all count the same regardless. Always curious if it's a mental thing?

Snap hooked from my Galaxy S3
if I'm playing a par 4 I have to weigh my options and figure out the best way to make par. A hybrid from the from the rough on a par4 from that distance may be considered a hero shot. Cold I pull it off, more often then not, yes. But an 8 iron to 110-100 and 3/4 wedges into the green works fine.

A par 5 gives me a shot to play with at that distance. I'd aim left and playa soft cut. If I hit straight or pull a bit I'm still in good shape. If I knock it on I'm putting for eagle. When there is no penalty for being aggressive I believe good course management is to let fly.

So this is a par4. If the ball is sitting up, 3 wood. I probably wont get there, but I will still be pretty close even if I fat it. The ball is buried, ton of grass behind the ball, long iron and take my medicine.

When there is no penalty for being aggressive I believe good course management is to let fly.

Good course management is playing the shot in front of you - par is irrelevant. If going for the green brings 6 into play and you don't want that on a par 4, why would you want it on a par 5? Strokes are strokes. Let's play the shot that gives me the best mixture of potential outcome vs. risk.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Good course management is playing the shot in front of you - par is irrelevant. If going for the green brings 6 into play and you don't want that on a par 4, why would you want it on a par 5? Strokes are strokes. Let's play the shot that gives me the best mixture of potential outcome vs. risk.

Good course management is weighing all your options good and bad. From there you make an informed decision on way or the other. If I have a change to reach a par 5 in two I will do so everything provide the reward out weighs the risk.
268 in is my zone and does require a perfect shot to end up with par. On a par 4 that shot better be on the button or you do bring a big number into play.

I am and always have been an aggressive player. Some play the safe route and other go for it. If my swing is right, I don't hold back. I figure the worse I make if this is a par 5 is par.

depending on how thick the rough is either a 6 or 7 out to 100 and a full swing with a 60 then 2 putt and make up the stroke on the next hole

Good course management is weighing all your options good and bad. From there you make an informed decision on way or the other. If I have a change to reach a par 5 in two I will do so everything provide the reward out weighs the risk.
268 in is my zone and does require a perfect shot to end up with par. On a par 4 that shot better be on the button or you do bring a big number into play.

I am and always have been an aggressive player. Some play the safe route and other go for it. If my swing is right, I don't hold back. I figure the worse I make if this is a par 5 is par.

I get what you're saying - and going for it very well may be the best shot. I said in my first post that I'd go for it as long as I was confident I could get the 3W on the ball based on the lie.

I just still don't see how the par of the hole matters. If on a par 4 this shot brings a big number into play, then it's the same number brought into play on a par 5. Why be okay with a 6 from 268 out on this hole just because the par is one higher?

We're 268 out in the left rough. Let's play the best shot based on what we have in front of us on the hole. The score is just the outcome of the shots we play. A 5 is a 5, regardless of the par on the hole.

Doing anything else is allowing the arbitrary number of "par" to drive your decisions - which, in my opinion, is the antithesis of good course management. Let's try to get the ball in the hole in the least number of strokes possible based on our abilities and the hole in front of us.

Hi My Name is Hi My Name is Hi My Name is

Skim Shady.

Its all good Nate, but it has been asked about a dozen times in the thread.

I'd take a 7 iron and try to lay up around 100 or so.

Hi My Name is Hi My Name is Hi My Name is

Skim Shady.

Its all good Nate, but it has been asked about a dozen times in the thread.

I know....you missed my spoiler under it. It's all good!

I get what you're saying - and going for it very well may be the best shot. I said in my first post that I'd go for it as long as I was confident I could get the 3W on the ball based on the lie.

I just still don't see how the par of the hole matters. If on a par 4 this shot brings a big number into play, then it's the same number brought into play on a par 5. Why be okay with a 6 from 268 out on this hole just because the par is one higher?

We're 268 out in the left rough. Let's play the best shot based on what we have in front of us on the hole. The score is just the outcome of the shots we play. A 5 is a 5, regardless of the par on the hole.

Doing anything else is allowing the arbitrary number of "par" to drive your decisions - which, in my opinion, is the antithesis of good course management. Let's try to get the ball in the hole in the least number of strokes possible based on our abilities and the hole in front of us.

What happens when you make a 5 on a par four, you add a shot. When I make five on a par5 I'm still good. The par on the hole does matter, at least to me it does. Four fives on a card with all par 4s means a lot to me. Having a 2 on the card looks good on a par 3, but better on a par and even better on a par 5. So my score in relation to par matters to me. A 5 is not just a five at the end of the day.

I have yet to see 6 in any of my scenarios whether a par4 or 5.

I'd play my 5w which i can get awesome draw ability with, would leave me greenside up and down

Back