Oh Sergio - Once Again, You May Have Crossed The Line

I think people are making much ado about nothing here. He was joking. Sergio isn't racist, he just doesn't like Tiger.

This is the problem with today's society. People make much ado about everything. Don't dare try to make a joke or say anything that could even remotely be considered offensive.

Sergio is about to learn this lesson the hard way.

I could eat fried chicken every night and I am white. So should I be offended also?

The US Open is just outside of philadelphia, I imagine sergio's experience with the crowd there will have shades of 03 at bethpage. more than the usual amount of heckling unless the usga has people on top of it

That smart get Tiger pissed off you thought his focus was intense before now he will go out with a chip on his shoulder Sergio better hope he is not in the same group as Tiger

Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked to see Taylor Made drop him for that. He has been a PR nightmare for the last 2 weeks, and this "joke" could not have gone much worse.

I bet we will not see too many tv spots with Sergio in them

Personally, I don't think Sergio meant it to be a racist comment. He'd be pretty stupid if he did saying at an event connected to one of the biggest events on the European tour where any controversial comment is guaranteed to be widely reported. It should be remembered that, despite being fluent, English isn't his first language so I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. I'd be surprised if he lost any sponsors over that to be honest. I do think Sergio would do well to button it now though. Everyone knows about his feelings, the more he keeps fueling the fire, the bigger it gets. His latest comment is that most players feel the way he does, he's the only one brave enough to speak up. Consequently, all the sky interviews with players attending the gala dinner contained questions about theirs and Sergio's relationship with Tiger. Whoever is advising him would do well to tell him to now drop all Tiger talk!

This is the problem with today's society. People make much ado about everything. Don't dare try to make a joke or say anything that could even remotely be considered offensive.

Sergio is about to learn this lesson the hard way.

I normally agree with you. IF they asked Rory if he would be having Tiger over, and he made the same comment, I would be on your side of the argument. However Sergio has been lobbing insults at Tiger every chance he gets. So now when an at best stereotypical joke, and at worst racist insult gets thrown out there, its hard to believe it was a well intended joke, it certainly appears it was meant to be a racist insult.

Whether it was meant as a joke or not, with the history between them, he should have thought carefully before opening his mouth

Like any sportsperson, or anyone in the public eye, they should think about what they say as the media these days will jump on the slightest thing they can to make a headline regardless of how it was intended

I think people are making much ado about nothing here. He was joking. Sergio isn't racist, he just doesn't like Tiger.

Sergio might not be racist, but he made a racist comment. People like Sergio, Kelly Tilghman, & Fuzzy should not be allowe to make raciest comments without ramificaions. He should be suspended.

It's like Chappell said, it's no secret...we are genetically predisposed to like fried chicken and watermelon. Sergio speaks the truth but he still Complains too much..,now who needs water

Greatest post ever.

I normally agree with you. IF they asked Rory if he would be having Tiger over, and he made the same comment, I would be on your side of the argument. However Sergio has been lobbing insults at Tiger every chance he gets. So now when an at best stereotypical joke, and at worst racist insult gets thrown out there, its hard to believe it was a well intended joke, it certainly appears it was meant to be a racist insult.

Well said. Had it been said by Rory, or Feherty (who did say worse at the Tavistock), its no big deal and everybody laughs. But its not just the person, but the setting. Tiger in the crowd, its considered a joke. Not in crowd, bad joke with racial overtones.

It's like Chappell said, it's no secret...we are genetically predisposed to like fried chicken and watermelon. Sergio speaks the truth but he still Complains too much..,now who needs water

WHO doesn't like fried chicken and watermelon?!
I think in this day and age of global accessibility to different types of food fried chicken has to be up there as one of the most regularly eaten items.

btw uganda has the best watermelon ever!
As well as pineapples and most other tropical fruit for that matter.

He should have mentioned grape drink.

This kid has created the worst possible scenario for himself, he has dug the ultimate hole and had better make amends. What a ****in idiot.

I don't necessarily think Sergio is blatantly racist, but you don't choose Fried Chicken as your comment without the plan to at least tweak at Tiger in that way. The comment would have gotten the perfect response should he have said, "We'll serve wine" or something else clever (paella maybe) without the undertones.

He's been in the media spotlight long enough to know better, and whatever happens (if anything) from sponsors, media, and fans is his own doing at this point.

I've read done really dumb responses in this thread, stuff that makes wonder how on touch some people are? It's funny but not really.

The guy makes a comment and the golf world has to blow it up. If anything it just shows the human side of Sergio. Like or not, racial humor is funny to a great deal of people. Taking it as if it had malice behind it is way out of bounds. People need to get over themselves and laugh a little.
This won't fuel any rivalry, you need two good players for that. If TW is offended then he needs to come hang with some real folks. I hope KFC sponsors Sergio, that would funny!

Tiger weighs in:

I've read done really dumb responses in this thread, stuff that makes wonder how on touch some people are? It's funny but not really.

The guy makes a comment and the golf world has to blow it up. If anything it just shows the human side of Sergio. Like or not, racial humor is funny to a great deal of people. Taking it as if it had malice behind it is way out of bounds. People need to get over themselves and laugh a little.
This won't fuel any rivalry, you need two good players for that. If TW is offended then he needs to come hang with some real folks. I hope KFC sponsors Sergio, that would funny!

Plus Tiger would really come off looking good out of this if he responds and just says, 'It was a joke. I know Sergio isnt racist. Everyone needs to relax"

Edit: Just saw Amol's post above mine. Disregard my post. Haha

If you have to say you aren't being racist, then you're probably about to be racist.

Tiger's response was pretty much Sergio's an idiot, he's sorry, now let me go beat his arse on the course some more.

And I'm definitely having fried chicken for lunch now. Thanks, Sergio.

Well I guess Sergio can't say "I did nothing wrong" anymore

Plus Tiger would really come off looking good out of this if he responds and just says, 'It was a joke. I know Sergio isnt racist. Everyone needs to relax"

Edit: Just saw Amol's post above mine. Disregard my post. Haha

I think with the tweets this morning Tiger is trying to address the issue and hopefully putting an end to it.

Great post and I agree Freddie, people definitely need to relax and just laugh sometimes. These days people are wound so tight and have been taught to always assume the negative connotations that you can hardly say anything without offending someone. Its no wonder Tiger is such a personality-less robot with the media most of the time.

I think it could have been funny, had the two been friends. Had Sergio said this in a laughing/joking manner as if it were an inside joke, that would be one thing. But he said it out of hate and meant it as a slap in the face.

I woke up this morning and saw the channels blowing up! Did anyone else have a Scooby Doo moment when they saw the comments and went "Ruh Roh"?

I don't think much of the fried chicken comment if seen in a vacuum. The fried chicken and watermelon thing is an old joke. However, the world isn't in a vacuum. If you consider the fact that Sergio has been lobbing grenades at Tiger for weeks now, it was very obvious that he was making a Fuzzy-referencing racist "joke." Witnesses at the dinner have commented that it was supremely awkward so even people who were there know how out of bounds it was. It wasn't light and breezy like some people want to believe.

Personally, I don't believe Sergio is racist as a matter of course. I do think he meant to say something mean and way overshot his mark.

Personally, I don't think Sergio meant it to be a racist comment. He'd be pretty stupid if he did saying at an event connected to one of the biggest events on the European tour where any controversial comment is guaranteed to be widely reported.

You just answered your own comment there. Sergio's most distinguishing trademark is that he is pretty stupid.

Last edited:
I'm sure Tiger is trying to help move the focus back onto golf, but I'm not sure that first tweet really helped.

Back