Cleveland 588 Altitude Hybrid Irons Preview

Well, taking 2 clubs less than normal is a new one for me. But EASY just keeps coming to mind. I was killing it with the 8i.

Well, taking 2 clubs less than normal is a new one for me. But EASY just keeps coming to mind. I was killing it with the 8i.

Do you think there is a possibility that you could game some altitudes?

Do you think there is a possibility that you could game some altitudes?

These are in the bag now. I'm going to give them every chance, after what I've seen JB do and what I was doing today, I'd be dense not to.

I love how everyone hates the look and doesn't want to be seen with them but can't put them down.

They are like "that girl" from high school.

best analogy ever!

I had a better outing today with the Altitudes. Much less of a hook fest today, just maybe a hook snack. I can't say that I like them better than my current set yet, but I'll spend some range time with them the next couple of days weather permitting. I hit these really well my first small bucket with them, but it hasn't completely translated on to the course.
However, they were good luck for me today. I kept my drives in the fairway, pitched, chipped, and putted well and ended up with an 81 thanks to a closing birdie. My best round of the year so far.

BTW, Jman: as an aspiring club ho, you're my hero!

just had a long convo with G4L about these i bet he has them in his bag soon.... its funny how bad i still want a set of these to mess with but i can't justify 4 sets of irons.... can i?

just had a long convo with G4L about these i bet he has them in his bag soon.... its funny how bad i still want a set of these to mess with but i can't justify 4 sets of irons.... can i?

Well you could, but I don't even wanna know the gap issues you could have.

Well you could, but I don't even wanna know the gap issues you could have.

yeah that was a concern... i really didn't get solid distances with my times with them but i know there was a much bigger gap issue than i had before... but if G4L gamed them and shot even par on the back with them without any major distance issues i know i'd be fine he murders his irons compared to me so i'll be interested to see how he makes out. plus my other project would put a set of these on the back burner for a while. but i'm loving that i'm heading to graphite for my project and hopefully like it enough that i snag a set of these down the road. and stop having so much hand and wrist pain.

yeah that was a concern... i really didn't get solid distances with my times with them but i know there was a much bigger gap issue than i had before... but if G4L gamed them and shot even par on the back with them without any major distance issues i know i'd be fine he murders his irons compared to me so i'll be interested to see how he makes out. plus my other project would put a set of these on the back burner for a while. but i'm loving that i'm heading to graphite for my project and hopefully like it enough that i snag a set of these down the road. and stop having so much hand and wrist pain.

Start with 1 and see how you like it. Then go from there.

My head hurts still from what I saw today.

Hybrons. :bulgy-eyes:

My head hurts still from what I saw today.

Hybrons. :bulgy-eyes:

Two clubs longer into the greens is stupid long. I can't fathom that.

Two clubs longer into the greens is stupid long. I can't fathom that.

More importantly, as HIGH as I was hitting these, the 15-20mph winds didn't really effect them all that much. THAT blew my mind the most.

Stock graphite are actually pretty nice too. UST did good.

More importantly, as HIGH as I was hitting these, the 15-20mph winds didn't really effect them all that much. THAT blew my mind the most.

Stock graphite are actually pretty nice too. UST did good.

Now I am just throwing it out there, but have you ever thought you were hitting the ball TOO LOW with your previous shafts and now that you are finally getting the ball up, you are achieving the distance you should have been for quite some time? Im not downplaying the greatness of Altitudes, but I seem to remember someone for over a year telling you your launch was about half what it should be.

He was probably one of those internet idiots though. : )

Man I could use 2 clubs longer!

Now I am just throwing it out there, but have you ever thought you were hitting the ball TOO LOW with your previous shafts and now that you are finally getting the ball up, you are achieving the distance you should have been for quite some time? Im not downplaying the greatness of Altitudes, but I seem to remember someone for over a year telling you your launch was about half what it should be.

I remember telling him that I need to start listening to him more and he just needs to start yelling at me so I can get it through my stubborn Oklahoman skull. :alien:

That's most definitely part of it, but since getting the eff away from the Ctapers finally, I'm hitting the ball a lot higher than I was....though probably still not enough. Alot is that mental notation that I know higher is better, but in this windy ass state I'm afraid of too high in the back of my head. Its easier to get over when you SEE it not effecting the ball all that much. I'm getting there in all my clubs, embracing HIGHER...you know I'm getting better! These heads do def launch the piss out of the ball though, I'd like to see how so with a different shaft in them just for curiosity's sake.

I will say, a couple times today I felt like I got away with murder....I like that.

Internet idiot my ass! :alien:

I remember telling him that I need to start listening to him more and he just needs to start yelling at me so I can get it through my stubborn Oklahoman skull. :alien:

That's most definitely part of it, but since getting the eff away from the Ctapers finally, I'm hitting the ball a lot higher than I was....though probably still not enough. Alot is that mental notation that I know higher is better, but in this windy ass state I'm afraid of too high in the back of my head. Its easier to get over when you SEE it not effecting the ball all that much. I'm getting there in all my clubs, embracing HIGHER...you know I'm getting better! These heads do def launch the piss out of the ball though, I'd like to see how so with a different shaft in them just for curiosity's sake.

I will say, a couple times today I felt like I got away with murder....I like that.

Internet idiot my ass! :alien:

I like high launching in my irons. Easier to hold greens hehe.

I like high launching in my irons. Easier to hold greens hehe.

I've never had a problem holding greens withOUT "high launching", that's why I never questioned my height in past years, I can drop and stop a c-taper with no problem.

Hmm... Lightweight shafts are stock in these... Right?

I'd characterize my range time with the Alts as really good tonight. Lots of really solid shots that I certainly wouldn't be hitting with conventional long irons. I probably hit about 50% of my 120 balls with the 3 and 4 hyrons. For whatever reason i can really get the club into the slot with them and get a good solid strike on the ball easily. They really do make me want to try the 5 and 6. Ball height for me is high, but not wacky high. Performance into the 20mph wind wasn't anything unusual. Definitely some distance loss there as I expected. Count me in as very surprised by the stock shaft. I truly expected to dislike it, but there isn't anything I can complain about at this point.

Can some please say something bad about these so I can get all these dirty thoughts out of my head :banghead:

Can some please say something bad about these so I can get all these dirty thoughts out of my head :banghead:

Better than bafflers....hehe

Better than bafflers....hehe

Said in jest, but I'd agree in a big way.

Sorry Jesse. I really don't have many negatives to throw out there. They are obviously going to be polarizing based on looks and just the style of iron they are, but the way I hit the longer versions in the combo set does send a guy's mind pondering.

For me, the height is similar to what I see out of everything, which is a good thing. Wouldn't really want them higher than they are. Distance is basically spot on with what I'd expect out of a comparable iron as well. I think I'll probably lean towards dropping the 3 eventually because I kind of like a distance club at that slot, but the 4 is a perfect extension of the conventional irons. The difference for me just appears to be ease of use. I felt like the 3 iron was easier to hit than a 7 iron yesterday. Not that the 7 iron was hard to hit or that my results were bad either. It was just on a different level.

hearing the words easy...mentioned with a 3I is just plain filthy

hearing the words easy...mentioned with a 3I is just plain filthy

It is easy. Like I said last night, I just kept hitting it and the 4 over and over again during my range session because it made me feel good. I always like to end on a high note and the 3 is what I chose to hit my last ball with. I really do wonder what a 4,5,6 combo of these would do for a guy.

Back