Matteo Manassero - The Best Young Superstar?

Disagree. Jack had little personality. People talk plenty about him.

It's a different day and age though. People's personalities and morals were completely different for the mostpart. I hope you're right and I'm wrong about it though. I love to see credit go to genuinely good people.

Im with you. I try not to pay a ton of attention to wins on different stages when speaking of super stardom, but this kid has a huge future. The question will be, when the sponsors start coming (and they will with more larger events), does he get spread thin. If not, look out.

He's been impressive on the European Tour so far, but talk to me when he does something of consequence in the majors or WGC events. His best finish in any of those was T13 at the Open Championship in 2009. The BMW tournament on the European Tour is a big deal over there, but this year's field only had like 12 or 13 guys in the top 40 of the OWGR, it wasn't like that field was stacked with stars in it.

It's a different day and age though. People's personalities and morals were completely different for the mostpart. I hope you're right and I'm wrong about it though. I love to see credit go to genuinely good people.

FWIW, I dont think its fair to compare the young man to a guy with multiple rings and arguably the best at his position ever. I am also not a fan of comparing between team and individual, although I get the reasonings behind this one, I believe part of it is because where he plays and who he is sponsored by.

For those that are unaware, Rickie Fowler is actually a light hearted guy that is very little like his persona suggests. When this young man makes his way to the states, becomes the player many think he will be (myself included), we will see if things change a bit.

He's been impressive on the European Tour so far, but talk to me when he does something of consequence in the majors or WGC events. His best finish in any of those was T13 at the Open Championship in 2009. The BMW tournament on the European Tour is a big deal over there, but this year's field only had like 12 or 13 guys in the top 40 of the OWGR, it wasn't like that field was stacked with stars in it.

I agree 100% with this. While I do think he is headed for stardom, I look at his victories right now as "happening elsewhere". The big stage is where it needs to happen, although I think it will in the next 3 years.

That is the one.

Not sure I would make that comparison though. I mean I don't think any expects Matteo to challenge any of Jack's records or play at a level that Jack demonstrated year after year.

I get it personality wise, but Jack's game and era effected why the media covered him so closely. Matteo to Duncan is a good comparison because of how Duncan plays. Different sport, but it's against the style that is popular now. The NBA is full of fast guys who dunk the ball every chance they get. Duncan plays an old school style game with defence first.

Matteo is in the era of the big hitter and big personalities. Yet he just goes about himself playing a solid game and staying within himself. This is only based on what we've seen on him thus far, which is a fairly small sample, but I just can't see the Jack vs. media against the Matteo vs. media topic.

Edit: Just saw your previous post JB. Changes that last paragraph.

My dad and I were watching him on Sunday at the BMW and every shot we just kept saying "holy cow". For at least the few hours we watched, he was flawless. I would love to see him more on this side of the pond- not that the field at the BMW was lacking any firepower.

I really hope that he takes 1 or 2 more years of playing on the European tour before he tries to really play a lot of PGA Tour events. Not that the European tour is easy by any means, I just think that the level of scrutiny on the PGA Tour could be harmful for such a young player if he's not ready.

He's a phenomenal player and I just hope people let him evolve into an even better player without forcing expectations on him.

I personally think he's gonna be one hell of a force come two or three years from now. He's definitely one of the top guys to watch in this new generation, though its obvious that Rory is leading that pack. Spieth has lots of talent too, but I don't see how him competing in tourneys with strong fields equates to Matteo winning tournaments with strong fields like the BMW Championship.

Also, I think somebody else may have said this, but Uihlein (sp?) is definitely one to watch too, he's been almost perpetually in the top 10 or 25 of the Euro tournaments this year.

Whilst this kid does need to get his butt to the killing fields of the States more often, he still has plenty to do over here as well.

Lots of folks on here harp on about the fact that Euro wins are somehow not like 'real' wins because there may not have been a world class field. Well, a win is a win, and it is the experience gained at getting his foot over that line on Sunday that is worth a lot more than who was in it. Please don't, and I am talking to the yanks here, presume that the young guns playing on the PGA tour are in any way better just because they play their golf in the States.

When he comes to the States more often he will naturally get better just because he will be playing in your comps more often. If it is his day, he will win. Simple as that.

He's in the enviable position of being able to pick and choose his tournaments now. That should help him too. Let him win a couple of times on the PGA, and I think a few opinions on his lack of personality or effectiveness may change with that.

Whilst this kid does need to get his butt to the killing fields of the States more often, he still has plenty to do over here as well.

Lots of folks on here harp on about the fact that Euro wins are somehow not like 'real' wins because there may not have been a world class field. Well, a win is a win, and it is the experience gained at getting his foot over that line on Sunday that is worth a lot more than who was in it. Please don't, and I am talking to the yanks here, presume that the young guns playing on the PGA tour are in any way better just because they play their golf in the States.

When he comes to the States more often he will naturally get better just because he will be playing in your comps more often. If it is his day, he will win. Simple as that.

The stage is a lot bigger though with the PGA Tour versus the European Tour. I'm really interested to see how Matteo reacts when he's paired with say Ricky Fowler, Phil Mickelson, or even better yet Tiger Woods. The crowd sizes are quite a bit different, which I don't care who you are effects your nerves. Think of how many times players have said "I'm just going to try to play my game" or something to that effect when paired with one of the big stars of the game that attract large crowds, only to have them shoot one of their worst rounds of the year.

It's a different atmosphere on the PGA Tour and one that I think can eat a player up if he's not ready for it.

He's in the enviable position of being able to pick and choose his tournaments now. That should help him too. Let him win a couple of times on the PGA, and I think a few opinions on his lack of personality or effectiveness may change with that.

But that is much easier said then done. Lee Westwood comes to mind for me.

All I know is I didn't realize how young he was, when they said 20, my mind was blown. Dude does his thing and has true game, I'm a fan.

Let me see how he does in contention at a Major, then I'll get back to you.

Said Rickie Fowler.

I knew that was coming.

Not gonna bite on this one. All I will say is that the one time he was in contention ('10 Open), he didn't fade away.

I knew that was coming.

Not gonna bite on this one. All I will say is that the one time he was in contention ('10 Open), he didn't fade away.

T14? Matteo had a T13th the year before that at the Open.

Rickie does have a Top 5 at a major, but what's the age difference again? :alien:

T14? Matteo had a T13th the year before that at the Open.

Rickie does have a Top 5 at a major, but what's the age difference again? :alien:

Excuse me, I meant the '11 Open. That's where he got the Top 5. And the age difference is 3 years.

I'm not saying he's not a talent. I just want to see him contend at a major before I say, "This guy is the next best thing."

Excuse me, I meant the '11 Open. That's where he got the Top 5. And the age difference is 3 years.

I'm not saying he's not a talent. I just want to see him contend at a major before I say, "This guy is the next best thing."

So is a top 5 contending in a major? I want to see Manassero in the final group in a major. Then see what kind of stones he has.

(Same goes for the Dreamsickle)

I've really liked Manassero since he came up a few years ago. Really good attitude and a ton of talent. One if my favorite players and I really hope he continues to win.

I love Matteo and he is quickly becoming one of my favorite players. I just like his attitude, his approach, the fact he can get it done with a pristine short game, instead of bombing and gouging like so many others do now days. I think he has a bright future and the fact he has kind of flew under the radar to this point, bodes well for his future I would think. He doesn't have the expectations that Ryo, Rickie and Rory hit the ground with.

Last weekend, I played with a father and son that had been up at the first few days of the BMW. They both predicted Mani to win. Apparently his ball striking is of the kind that people stop to listen to. It seems the talent is without question. The attitude appears very level headed and unusually he seems to spend more time on the practice ground than in the media tent. I think that bodes well.
I am guessing that winning some smaller tournaments, then the BMW is the sort of progression that points to winning in the US and then a WGC and then ....who knows?

I like his green trousers.

Back