Use iPhone GPS? How To Stay Charged During Round

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
James is back with another review and this one is on a product that is a bit different than most of the stuff covered by THP. The new Mophie iPhone 5 case.

http://bit.ly/15iDC6X

If my lifestyle/habits dictated it this would be a must have product. As it stands now, I am able to be plugged in all day and then unplugged at the course, etc with no battery issues. This is a sleek looking product (not clunky). Almost wish I needed one just so I could buy one. Another nice review here James!

Unfortunately any kind of smartphone is not allowed during tournaments... :angry: Hope The Officials are thinking about a change of this rule asap...

I'm not sure what I would do with out my air case. I've used them for years and they are a smart edition to the iPhone.

Quick read on this one. Wouldve loved an in-hand pic or two.

I love my mophie. Thanks for showing!

It's great to see that they've gotten a little slimmer and lighter. That's what kept me from using one in the past. I may pick one of these up ASAP

When I was an iPhone user, the mophie was a must for me. Perfect for the longer days on the course, especially when using a GPS app.

Well done, James.

Great review, James! I've been thinking about an extended battery solution for my S3 and the Mophie definitely was on my radar, until the Frankenbattery showed up. This definitely is a great tool for iPhone users.

Great Job James. Being in Construction extra battery life is a huge benefit. Only draw back is with this device is is lose my otter box and that wouldn't be an option.

Cool stuff. I always have to make sure I have a charger in the car after my round because of my GPS use on the course. Seems like a great product.

I had to look for a solution like this for my Android a couple months ago and I'm really glad I did it. Nothing more frustrating than watching your phone slowly die during a round of golf. Nice one James!

nice review james!

I've had a Mophie Juice Pack Air for my iPhone 4s since December 2012. It worked great until about two weeks ago. Now it no longer charges my phone - it will charge the phone when I have the phone/case plugged into the charging chord at night or at my desk at work, but the case battery itself will not charge the phone on its own, which is the whole point. They have a 1-year warranty, and I've contacted Mophie about a replacement, so we'll see what happens there.

Also disappointing is that the paint on the itself wears of almost immediately. I take good care of my phone and case but it looks completely beaten up, paint stripped off down to the base grey/metallic look in many places - it just looks bad - and it started happening within 1 month of purchase and six months later looks like I've beaten it up for years.

When it works, it is great for the course or for Disney World or any other place you'll be away from a charger for extended periods, but it doesn't hold up long-term (or short-term) aesthetically. Hopefully mine was just a dud and the replacement will run fine for years to come and your results will be better. Just throwing it out there.

I also have a backup battery that is just a battery and has to be connected to the phone via the charger chord. I've had that for 3+ years with zero problems, you just have the added annoyance of needing the chord. The Mophie is much more convenient.

I've had a Mophie Juice Pack Air for my iPhone 4s since December 2012. It worked great until about two weeks ago. Now it no longer charges my phone - it will charge the phone when I have the phone/case plugged into the charging chord at night or at my desk at work, but the case battery itself will not charge the phone on its own, which is the whole point. They have a 1-year warranty, and I've contacted Mophie about a replacement, so we'll see what happens there.

Also disappointing is that the paint on the itself wears of almost immediately. I take good care of my phone and case but it looks completely beaten up, paint stripped off down to the base grey/metallic look in many places - it just looks bad - and it started happening within 1 month of purchase and six months later looks like I've beaten it up for years.

When it works, it is great for the course or for Disney World or any other place you'll be away from a charger for extended periods, but it doesn't hold up long-term (or short-term) aesthetically. Hopefully mine was just a dud and the replacement will run fine for years to come and your results will be better. Just throwing it out there.

I also have a backup battery that is just a battery and has to be connected to the phone via the charger chord. I've had that for 3+ years with zero problems, you just have the added annoyance of needing the chord. The Mophie is much more convenient.

Very interesting, I'm betting some changes must have been made because I've pretty much beaten the snot out of mine tossing the phone around and such and the finish is still perfect (it even survived an outing! Haha).

Hopefully the company takes care of you on this one!

I appreciate all the genuine comments, this was a fun and different one for me to get to do, much less novella like! Hahaha

Being that I review a LOT of GPS apps and different swing devices, this has honestly been a MAJOR benefit to me. It's my permanent case now and is used almost daily.

This is perfect. Awesome review Jman. I am heading to the sprint store soon to pick up my iPhone 5. I'll definitely be looking into this

This is perfect. Awesome review Jman. I am heading to the sprint store soon to pick up my iPhone 5. I'll definitely be looking into this

Thanks for the kind words Tim.

I always wanted a battery extender to help with reviews but thought they were all just way to clunky and cheap looking. This though, feels just like a normal case. It may not be a Galaxy Frankenbattery, but I like it!

This item would be perfect for football season when I have my phone always on so I can keep track of scores and stuff. My phone would almost always be dead by 5 or 6 at night if I didn't plug it in at some point during the day.

Great review Jman!

Nice review. From the stock pic it doesn't look to bulky which some of those seem to be.

Nice review. From the stock pic it doesn't look to bulky which some of those seem to be.

It's not bulky at all, what you see in the pics is what you get, hence why I used them to show the angles. It increases the top to bottom length and thickness only a bit. It's truly well designed.

Does this work with your battery or in place of your battery? Just wondering if it something where if I waited until my battery was half-life if could turn this thing on for a few hours and then take it off and still have my battery half-life for the rest of the night.

Its a case charges your phone when you decide it needs charging. It has a switch that you can hit and your phone will start to charge.
Does this work with your battery or in place of your battery? Just wondering if it something where if I waited until my battery was half-life if could turn this thing on for a few hours and then take it off and still have my battery half-life for the rest of the night.

It works either way. I've run mine down all the way and then turned on the Mophie and I've also done as you said and taken it down and bit and used it from there a while and turned it back off. Works great both ways!

Solid review and product. Looks real good! I'm just jealous of all the golf you guys must play cause my iPhone 5 battery is usually still at 60% after using Golflogix for a round!

Solid review and product. Looks real good! I'm just jealous of all the golf you guys must play cause my iPhone 5 battery is usually still at 60% after using Golflogix for a round!

The life of a teacher is good to me on free time!

Plus, hey, always THP'ing! Hahaha

I have been looking at one of these for awhile now,…since I just got the Iphone 5. I just may have to pull the trigger.

Back