TaylorMade R1 Black Driver Preview

The worst part is 2 days after putting the R1 in the bag, it received 2 idiot marks on the crown where it bounced off an iron. So now I not only have to stare at a white head, but a white head with 2 paint chips filled in lol. But whatever, its just a golf club.

Try using the head cover?

I came home today after a long week and saw a box waiting for me. Funny, since I didn't remember getting anything recently, but who knows. My name was on it, so let's take a look:

Wha...

photo+2-89.JPG

Whoa..

photo+5-89.JPG

Wow, this has to be a mistake!

Uh, no...

photo+4-108.JPG

No friggin way!!!! The Black R1 is sitting in my house! Still speechless and thinking I must be dreaming, I took it outside for some reason...

photo+2-88.JPG

photo+1-83.JPG

photo+3-105.JPG

photo+4-107.JPG

I am absolutely floored and blown away. Apparently, Taylormade read a few of my posts on the R1 and that the black R1 was in my scope and simply sent me one! This is basically unbelievable and I'm still in shock. I had no idea that TM was actually taking a look at the threads here or even if they were, that they would go ahead and do something this awesome. This is going above and beyond. Thanks so much to Taylormade for their awesomeness and for the extreme generosity in sending this to me. It goes to show you how special THP is and obviously, we're getting some very special attention.

The club itself is much sleeker in person. The alignment stripe is there, but the crown is a lot more glossy than I thought it would be. It looks real sharp outside and I really liked standing over it at address. I instantly named mine Black Death, as once this baby comes out of my bag, anyone I'm playing against knows they are dead. Or maybe I'll go with the Stealth Bomber. I'll have to think about this...

I'm almost scared to start hitting it because I don't want to ruin how cool it looks. I mean, even the box it came in is cool. But this will be played early and often!

Thanks to THP, and thanks to TM for this incredible gift. I'm really blown away right now and I really can't express my disbelief and gratitude enough. I will be bringing to the NE Invitational if anyone wants to take a look.

About a month ago I made a single post in a thread about a rumored R1 Black. To paraphrase myself, “R1 = ugly but good; R1 Black = awesome. I just bought the R1. Grumble.” It wasn’t my most profound contribution to the site. (sorry) It was kind of like publicly saying one sister is HOT and another one is really good at math…all the while thinking their dad was away at work, unable to hear my pithy observations on his beloved daughters.

So imagine my surprise to find out the dad was actually in the room listening. Even more surprising was that I didn’t get a stern look and tongue lashing for bad manners. Nope. Instead, this was what I saw when I drove up to the house today:

Curious, as I haven't ordered anything and didn't recognize the sender. So I opened it up to see a present wrapped with black paper. Weird.

Unwrapped and opened and saw this:

And here is what was inside:

The note says
"We saw your post about wanting a black TaylorMade driver. We value the opinions and wishes of golfers like you, which is why we want you to be among the very first to receive this special, limited edition R1 Black. Enjoy; we look forward to your feedback."

H O L Y C R A P ! This just blows me away. I am astounded by this act of generosity. Words cannot truly express how appreciative I am, but that is all I really have. So here it goes: THANK YOU :taylormade:AND :thp:. OUTSTANDING!

For the curious, here are more photos. Out of the box:
Spoiler

Profile view:
Spoiler

Black vs. Original: Crown:
Spoiler

Black vs. Original: Face:
Spoiler

The R1 Black is absolutely gorgeous. It might be hard to see in pictures but the graphics are visible but subtle, really a very understated approach to design. I love it. I think the shaft graphics look great with the head. Wow. Just wow.

Again, thank you to TaylorMade and THP. This is truly off the charts phenomenal. What an amazingly generous and thoughtful gesture.

Booom. Congrats boys!

That is WAY beyond awesome. Congrats gents!

Unfreaking real. Wow.

Simply awesome stuff right there.

That is remarkably generous of TaylorMade guys!!! Awesome!! I'm pumped for both of you, and love that they understand the folks who prefer black to white.

Dammit. It is so sexy.

Very cool! Enjoy it fellas! It's the easiest driver to find fairways to date for me in the white version.

Its always been about honest feedback, despite what a few seem to think and this is the perfect example of that.

That's freaking awesome! Congrats guys!!

Way to go Taylormade!

Funny, those R1s look green to me... Maybe out of jealousy! Absolutely incredible!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

For those would like to know how this went down it was very simple. A company saw some comments. Contacted us to see if these gentlemen were actual contributors and "good" members (meaning participation). We said yes and they told us what they wanted to do. We were so happy for the two of them.

Its always been about honest feedback, despite what a few seem to think and this is the perfect example of that.

I love it. Companies want to hear it all, good, bad, and in between. Its all about how you bring it to them, tact, if you will.

Congrats guys. That thing looks so amazing. I would probably spend more time looking at the damn thing than hitting it. I love the black on black graphics.

Amazing pictures!! Congrats guys. Big props to Taylormade and THP!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Dammit. It is so sexy.

It really is. When you just look at it the outline of an understated V graphic is just barely visible. You turn the head to catch more light and an R1 graphic becomes more visible. It is a shame it is so hard to capture that in photos. This thing is really beautiful. Oh yeah, and it is a fairway finder too. HHJJ.

Wow Taylormade going waaaaaaaay above and beyond

For those would like to know how this went down it was very simple. A company saw some comments. Contacted us to see if these gentlemen were actual contributors and "good" members (meaning participation). We said yes and they told us what they wanted to do. We were so happy for the two of them.

Blown away. TaylorMade gets it, in a huge way. This, on top of all the other opportunities they provide the forum, is just incredible.

I would become a male dancer for a night, if my wife didn't mind, to earn the cash for a black R1. Those crown graphics are so subtle, I absolutely love it.

It really is. When you just look at it the outline of an understated V graphic is just barely visible. You turn the head to catch more light and an R1 graphic becomes more visible. It is a shame it is so hard to capture that in photos. This thing is really beautiful. Oh yeah, and it is a fairway finder too. HHJJ.

Someone's what are you going to do with your old r1?

Congrats guys! What a beautiful club. TaylorMade steps up again!

Congratulations guys, and well done to TaylorMade. A really cool gesture on their part!!

Back