Recap Thread - 2013 Morgan Cup - The Ultimate Amateur Golf Event

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys got the tears flowing a bit/a lot. You all effing rock! Hands down the best forum known to man.

One day, I shall eat chipotle breakfast with you. One day. And it will be awesome.

So where to begin my Morgan Cup recap, we got in on Tuesday and the first person we saw was Chunky. I forgot how much I missed that guy. We went to Sam’s Corner where Chunky got the most disgusting looking thing to eat ever and from how little he ate it tasted that way as well. We sat there and caught up, talked about the past Morgan Cup the one that was about to start in a few days. We touched on a little bit of everything. Then Dean and I headed off to check in to our hotel for the night. Later on we met up in Cookie and Kelly’s villa with Rhino and TBT. Hung out and continued to talk golf and how excited we all were. Chunky mentioned how he didn’t have anyone to play with on Wednesday and I said I had brought my clubs if he got the tee time I’d be there. Then we left a little early to get some sleep seeing as we had driven 10 ½ hours to get there.
Wednesday morning we met Chunky at True Blue and he and I headed over to Caledonia for our round ddec came over to watch our first tee shots before heading back to True Blue for his own round. To say my first hole wasn’t the greatest opening with a double but I figured I’m on a beautiful course playing golf on vacation what could go wrong? Well that mentality served me well for the next 3 holes as I made par’s on all of them. Then came our 5[SUP]th[/SUP] hole which was actually hole 14 since we went off on the back 9. I hit a drive out to the right my miss when I get fast. Well walking back to the cart I stepped over the rope and my front foot slipped and my back foot caught the rope and I went flying straight to the ground. I tried to twist my body to the right so not to let my driver hit the ground bad idea for two reasons one I always keep an extra golf ball in my pocket and my driver hit the cart path any way. To say my thigh was a little bruised would be an understatement. It looked like I had a purple tumor growing out of my leg. I think I may have made a few guys a little nauseous that night at Morgan and Josh’s villa as people came to pick their stuff up. Despite it all I had a fun round. So if anyone tells you Chunky beat me up because I was beating him through 4 holes only the part about me beating him is true ;)
There are so many other stories I want to tell but I’m going to wait for the coverage to begin so I don’t slip and let anything out of the bag.
I do want to say to all the guys who played this weekend you killed it. You brought you’re “A” game to Myrtle Beach and you should all be proud.
To Team Dot Com thank you for making this such a great experience for Dean. You are all awesome!!
To Morgan and Josh: I know your year has been tougher than either of you deserved but you came through it stronger and I am so happy to have you both in my life.
To the other captains:
Chunky: You are such and amazing person. I loved our round together minus me nearly killing myself. I had a blast playing with you and am so happy to have had the last two years to get to know you.
Ryan: Last year you were behind the camera with me kicking butt and this year you were in front of it doing the same. It’s easy to see why you were picked as a captain.
Jake: Where do I begin? First of all I think if anyone else had poked my bruise I would have slapped them in their face but I knew you were concerned when you did it. You are a great guy with a big heart and your team was lucky to have you.
Now onto my husband:
Spoiler
About to get a little emotional

Everyone knows the running joke that this was supposed to be a one-time thing for Dean (ddec) that has turned into three. People have asked me what I would say if he wanted to go back for a fourth. Some told me I should put my foot down and tell him no!! While JB said he intended on proving a liar out of my husband and getting him involved in another one.
Here are my thoughts on this. While this was initially sold to me as a one-time thing it spoke volumes to me that other people see the man I see. When Morgan and Josh asked Dean to be a captain the first time he was the one who wasn’t sure. He told me I could tell him no because this was supposed to be a one-time thing but without reservation I said yes. How could I not feel incredibly proud to know he did such a good job during the first Morgan Cup that they wanted him to come back and be a captain. Now his time as a captain the first go round was tough, I knew that he gave it his all. The hours upon hours we spent talking about every detail proved that. So the second Morgan Cup was done and we were supposed to be done with our two year long journey or so we thought. Then while with Morgan in Atlantic City for the tour van stop we find out Cobra is in. Looking back this is only fitting that the last company in ended up being the company to sponsor Dean. So now they needed a fourth captain. Again without hesitation I told him to do it and I am glad I did.
Now this summer Dean has struggled with his golf game and hasn’t always been the most pleasant person to be around on the course but he worked his butt of with one goal in mind to be able to bring his best golf to the Morgan Cup. He wasn’t worried about doing it for himself he didn’t want to let his team and Morgan and Josh down. Watching him hit his final first tee shot I was extremely emotional, I tried to hide my eyes watering up behind my sunglasses. Then I went about doing what I was supposed to do, taking video’s, giving guys a kick in the pants when they needed to pick up the pace of play all the fun things volunteers get to do. Then before I knew it, it was getting close to the end of the final round and I knew if certain matches went certain ways it would be either Jake or Dean holding that cup at the end. I could tell I was getting nervous for both of them. Then we started following their group on 15 and I watched my husband play some inspired golf coming in his final stretch of holes. As I stood on 16 tee taking a picture of all the captains I couldn’t help but think how proud I was to have these four men in my life. In the heat of this golf event and they are encouraging each other to keep going, keep playing good golf. That was when I knew no matter the score these guys would be bonded for life.
I was still only slightly misty eyed at this point. What really got me and I’m sure it will be seen on video was the ovation that Dean got coming up 18. As his wife I couldn’t have been prouder knowing how he had everyone’s respect in that moment. So you ask me why three years of my life have been spent with us giving things up so Dean could play in the Morgan Cup the answer is simple, I would never take those moments like that away from him. I love you and no matter the final score I know you gave this everything you had.

Part 2 - The Captains...

When I was asked to be a Captain, I knew I had some work to do. Here I was, a MC rookie, having to go toe to toe with three THP legends. A combined 8 Morgan Cups between them, and countless THP events, and here I was, having just been on the forum for a little over a year. I wont lie, I was intimidated. That intimidation ended quick, as these three dudes welcomed me in with open arms.

Jake- What hasn't been said about Jake? Dude is a rock star. He shows up at a THP event and immediately hugs everyone he sees and makes them feel right at home. One of the most genuine, most sincere people I have ever met. Having the opportunity to share this experience with him was incredible, and regardless of what was going on, he was the first to fire off a random Captains email just to ask how the heck we were doing. Jake is what Jake is, an incredible person and a great friend. I love that guy.

Chunky- It all started at the 2012 Morgan Cup over a few too many Bud Light Limes. I didn't believe what you were saying to me, I should really start listening to you more. To think that it had been a year since I had seen you prior to strolling in to your villa last week is crazy, as it feels like we have been friends for life. You taught me more than you will ever know about this entire experience. You are someone I truly look up to (figuratively, not literally), and are someone that I am glad to have as a friend. I just wish you would text me more often.

Dean- What can I say about Dean? Probably one of the best guys I have ever met. Always upbeat and positive, regardless of what is going on. A guy who will send me a random text message about a hilarious serial number that only a tech nerd would laugh at. A friend. A true friend, and one that I could not have gone through this Morgan Cup without. Dean and I shared our Captains match together, and while we were opponents, we rode together as well. Through the highs and the lows, we picked each other up and cheered each other on, which is something you wouldn't really expect out of two people competing against each other. It was a round of golf unlike any other, and perhaps one of the most emotional times I have ever had on the course. Thanks for everything, brother...you and Jenn mean the world to me, and I consider you guys family.

I am more than fortunate to have been able to share this experience with these three Captains. The daily Captains emails, the smack talk we had, the laughs, and even the Sunday tears are something that I will remember for a lifetime. I can not Thank the three of you enough for everything you have done for me. You three led by example, and made it easy for me to learn the ropes of this experience.

Thanks boys, it was fun, and I loved every minute of it.

That was good stuff nerfny. Go Dean!

Nerfny dropping some serious awesomeness.

Dean walking up 18 is something ill never forget...truly special

Same here, same here. I knew how much that walk to the green would mean to him, and I was glad I was able to witness it.

To my fellow volunteers we rocked it this weekend. Without question. Smithfaced, Mward, and playdough you are all awesome guys. You baked in the sun, asked awesome questions, got great video from what I'm hearing. You guys are a huge part of what made this Morgan Cup great. Mrs. Whozat I loved getting to hang out with you. We shared a villa, went to the spa, you learned Dean and I know how to disappear (pretty cool trick huh?), you are just an awesome person and I'm so glad that Dean and I shared a villa with you and Erik.

After reading all this, I am motivated....

One way or the other I Plan on being a part of the '14 Morgan Cup!

After reading all this, I am motivated....

One way or the other I Plan on being a part of the '14 Morgan Cup!
It is an experience you will never forget.

I don't even know how I want to organize any of this. A lot more daunting that I thought it would be.

I. The Ride Down
One-T and I met early Wednesday morning for the ride down to Myrtle. He’d rolled into my town and picked me up. After seeing an overturned trailer we grabbed a few Monsters out of the cooler and kept on trucking. Since Jaret’s in laws live in Greensboro I get the pleasure of golfing with him whenever he is in town visiting. It was a great ride down getting to catch up with a friend. We arrived and checked in around noon. Hung out in the villa a bit and then moseyed over to True Blue where we started greeting some other folks. Freddie, Dean, Ken, Brad, Jenn, WCBM and many more. I knew this was going to be an amazing week and (if I’m being honest) there was no person I’d have rather started it off with.

That was awesome. And my dad was able to capture it with an awesome photo. I've shared it with dean and will make sure it's posted soon.

To my fellow volunteers we rocked it this weekend. Without question. Smithfaced, Mward, and playdough you are all awesome guys. You baked in the sun, asked awesome questions, got great video from what I'm hearing. You guys are a huge part of what made this Morgan Cup great. Mrs. Whozat I loved getting to hang out with you. We shared a villa, went to the spa, you learned Dean and I know how to disappear (pretty cool trick huh?), you are just an awesome person and I'm so glad that Dean and I shared a villa with you and Erik.

You were so awesome. Any question I had, you were right there. Even something small and not that important, you made it important.

But then you made a height joke. All bets were off after that haha

Jenn you are so awesome on about a billion different levels. You're always smiling and encouraging to us as we attempt to beat each others brains in on the golf course (all while pulling for one another at the same time). I love your husband like a brother and you're one of my favorite people to be around on the planet! If you finally kick that bum to the curb call me! :wink:

War Damn Eagle. Thanks for those words brother. I've enjoyed your amazingly positive and optimistic attitude since the very second I met you. We've shared a couple rounds of golf together but that captains match was something I'll never forget. I was tearing up from the first tee on. You 3 guys are so damn cool it's not even funny. Simply put, I need more Ryan Johs in my life!

You were so awesome. Any question I had, you were right there. Even something small and not that important, you made it important.

But then you made a height joke. All bets were off after that haha

Cause I'm someone to take seriously when making a height joke. If I hit 5'3" it's a good day ;)

Cause I'm someone to take seriously when making a height joke. If I hit 5'3" it's a good day ;)
That's 3" taller than wardy, though.

nerfny rocks plain and simple!

So where to begin my Morgan Cup recap, we got in on Tuesday and the first person we saw was Chunky. I forgot how much I missed that guy. We went to Sam’s Corner where Chunky got the most disgusting looking thing to eat ever and from how little he ate it tasted that way as well. We sat there and caught up, talked about the past Morgan Cup the one that was about to start in a few days. We touched on a little bit of everything. Then Dean and I headed off to check in to our hotel for the night. Later on we met up in Cookie and Kelly’s villa with Rhino and TBT. Hung out and continued to talk golf and how excited we all were. Chunky mentioned how he didn’t have anyone to play with on Wednesday and I said I had brought my clubs if he got the tee time I’d be there. Then we left a little early to get some sleep seeing as we had driven 10 ½ hours to get there.
Wednesday morning we met Chunky at True Blue and he and I headed over to Caledonia for our round ddec came over to watch our first tee shots before heading back to True Blue for his own round. To say my first hole wasn’t the greatest opening with a double but I figured I’m on a beautiful course playing golf on vacation what could go wrong? Well that mentality served me well for the next 3 holes as I made par’s on all of them. Then came our 5[SUP]th[/SUP] hole which was actually hole 14 since we went off on the back 9. I hit a drive out to the right my miss when I get fast. Well walking back to the cart I stepped over the rope and my front foot slipped and my back foot caught the rope and I went flying straight to the ground. I tried to twist my body to the right so not to let my driver hit the ground bad idea for two reasons one I always keep an extra golf ball in my pocket and my driver hit the cart path any way. To say my thigh was a little bruised would be an understatement. It looked like I had a purple tumor growing out of my leg. I think I may have made a few guys a little nauseous that night at Morgan and Josh’s villa as people came to pick their stuff up. Despite it all I had a fun round. So if anyone tells you Chunky beat me up because I was beating him through 4 holes only the part about me beating him is true ;)
There are so many other stories I want to tell but I’m going to wait for the coverage to begin so I don’t slip and let anything out of the bag.
I do want to say to all the guys who played this weekend you killed it. You brought you’re “A” game to Myrtle Beach and you should all be proud.
To Team Dot Com thank you for making this such a great experience for Dean. You are all awesome!!
To Morgan and Josh: I know your year has been tougher than either of you deserved but you came through it stronger and I am so happy to have you both in my life.
To the other captains:
Chunky: You are such and amazing person. I loved our round together minus me nearly killing myself. I had a blast playing with you and am so happy to have had the last two years to get to know you.
Ryan: Last year you were behind the camera with me kicking butt and this year you were in front of it doing the same. It’s easy to see why you were picked as a captain.
Jake: Where do I begin? First of all I think if anyone else had poked my bruise I would have slapped them in their face but I knew you were concerned when you did it. You are a great guy with a big heart and your team was lucky to have you.
Now onto my husband:
Spoiler

Everyone knows the running joke that this was supposed to be a one-time thing for Dean (ddec) that has turned into three. People have asked me what I would say if he wanted to go back for a fourth. Some told me I should put my foot down and tell him no!! While JB said he intended on proving a liar out of my husband and getting him involved in another one.
Here are my thoughts on this. While this was initially sold to me as a one-time thing it spoke volumes to me that other people see the man I see. When Morgan and Josh asked Dean to be a captain the first time he was the one who wasn’t sure. He told me I could tell him no because this was supposed to be a one-time thing but without reservation I said yes. How could I not feel incredibly proud to know he did such a good job during the first Morgan Cup that they wanted him to come back and be a captain. Now his time as a captain the first go round was tough, I knew that he gave it his all. The hours upon hours we spent talking about every detail proved that. So the second Morgan Cup was done and we were supposed to be done with our two year long journey or so we thought. Then while with Morgan in Atlantic City for the tour van stop we find out Cobra is in. Looking back this is only fitting that the last company in ended up being the company to sponsor Dean. So now they needed a fourth captain. Again without hesitation I told him to do it and I am glad I did.
Now this summer Dean has struggled with his golf game and hasn’t always been the most pleasant person to be around on the course but he worked his butt of with one goal in mind to be able to bring his best golf to the Morgan Cup. He wasn’t worried about doing it for himself he didn’t want to let his team and Morgan and Josh down. Watching him hit his final first tee shot I was extremely emotional, I tried to hide my eyes watering up behind my sunglasses. Then I went about doing what I was supposed to do, taking video’s, giving guys a kick in the pants when they needed to pick up the pace of play all the fun things volunteers get to do. Then before I knew it, it was getting close to the end of the final round and I knew if certain matches went certain ways it would be either Jake or Dean holding that cup at the end. I could tell I was getting nervous for both of them. Then we started following their group on 15 and I watched my husband play some inspired golf coming in his final stretch of holes. As I stood on 16 tee taking a picture of all the captains I couldn’t help but think how proud I was to have these four men in my life. In the heat of this golf event and they are encouraging each other to keep going, keep playing good golf. That was when I knew no matter the score these guys would be bonded for life.
I was still only slightly misty eyed at this point. What really got me and I’m sure it will be seen on video was the ovation that Dean got coming up 18. As his wife I couldn’t have been prouder knowing how he had everyone’s respect in that moment. So you ask me why three years of my life have been spent with us giving things up so Dean could play in the Morgan Cup the answer is simple, I would never take those moments like that away from him. I love you and no matter the final score I know you gave this everything you had.

This post was so awesome I had to dig up a few photos.

i-KGTpbq4-M.jpg

i-ZfhtjS7-M.jpg

I'm going to eventually capture a video to get some thoughts out there but random favorite part of the weekend #1 of 300 or more.

Thursday morning we played a practice round at Caledonia and it was me and my 7 guys from Team Paradise playing in 2 groups. We broke up the pairings every 6 holes to get a chance to play with everyone. We weren't really stressing prep work or format but just having a good time with the boys. We had some tunes playing in my cart and it was just a good time had by all. We get to hole 16 and there's nobody in front of us and the group behind us was well back so we said screw it, let's play these last holes together. The tunes got cranked and we had an 8 some of hip hoppin' fools playing together. We decide to throw a closest to the pin contest in on #17 and I'm sitting there watching this unfold....1 guy lining up his tee shot while 7 other dudes danced around like we're getting our groove on up in the club. Everyone of us tee'd off with an all out dance party going on around us and JT sticks his shot to about 7 feet for the win.

It was on that tee that I looked at Brad (I think it was him) and I said dude, we're going to win this thing. Not because we're all out there hitting amazing golf shots but because we're all out there just loose and having so much fun bonding with our team. Coming up hole 18 on my favorite course in the world with these 7 guys having a blast together was something I'll never forget.

It hurts the most coming from you :/

Actually that's a lie, it hurts when Dean does it. Mostly because he has about a quarter inch on me and there's nothing I can do.

That's 3" taller than wardy, though.

Jerk!

Just so everyone knows my leg is healing nicely. Only purple on the outside now.
remudaju.jpg

Wow what an opening post by JB I can only imagine how hard but fun this weekend had to be for all of you. I have only skimmed the recap thread now, but from going to Branson, and meeting the guys I did I can only imagine how close this would bring you. Congrats to the winning team and for everybody that was apart of this great event.

Those Team Hackers guys. Resulting to shots below the belt! :alien: JT took it in stride though and we all had a pretty good laugh.

whatever it takes. .haha

I will wait for the coverage to air before I give my full recap, but this one deserves it's own post. It doesnt give insight into the final score in of the match in any way, so I hope this is ok to share.

During the first few holes of our alternate shot match, my partner and I lost the par 3 third hole. As I was waiting to tee off on 4, Wadesworld walked up to me and said I had the honor. He then explained to me how he had accidentally used Wake's wedge for the chip shot on hole 3. Knowing every single rule like he does, he explained to me how that meant they lost the hole, regardless of the score.

I had no clue, Gordon did not have any clue that it happened. I am pretty sure Austin (Wake) had no clue. They both had the same Callaway wedges & same Callaway bag, so I can see how it could happen. There were no cameras around. Wade's wife Shea was the only spectator around, but there was no way she could've known it happened.

Wade put his conscience & integrity first and let me know when he did not have to. It was a 2 hole swing, all because of Wade's integrity. That's what The Morgan Cup means to me and speaks volumes for the type of people who we have here.

Pure class

The bonds this event creates....that's what its all about....I think I speak for most of the participants when I say....I would do it again without the equipment and the sponsors.

if I could see all of you again, that would be all I need.

LOL at Freddie's story. I bet that was terrifying! That's a whole lot of man lumbering around right there.

Not as much as it used to be. Jake is getting down right skinny

To the other captains:
Now onto my husband:
Spoiler

There is a reason I tried to get you two to move to Raleigh, you and Dean are awesome. Nuff said

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back